Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 245

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: OD Lockout cable removal?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The mechanical components are placed at the ready with knob pushed in but as long as the wires are disconnected the unit will not go into OD because the solenoid can't operate to move the pawl and finish the engagement. If the components are all in good order, you may get the freewheeling effect with the lever in that position but there should be no damage. If you want to totally lock it out mechanically and electrically pull the knob out.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 13:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks - that what I thought. I continue to sort out cut wires, etc. I hope to have it operational someday. Have you ever examined the lock-out cable switch to see how it works ?

Posted on: 2014/11/3 16:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:
Thanks - that what I thought. I continue to sort out cut wires, etc. I hope to have it operational someday. Have you ever examined the lock-out cable switch to see how it works ?

I rebuilt an R11 lockout cable with the switch on the cable. The switch has a ball that when depressed connects the wires together. The handle shaft tapers down at the end and when you pull the handle out it allows the ball to drop a bit breaking the circuit. Sometimes the ball gets worn and when the handle is pushed in the ball doesn't get pushed up enough to connect the wires. I hope that my weird explaination kinda makes sense

Posted on: 2014/11/3 16:28
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you - very good ! I assume an R 9 switch is the same. Kinda like a carb switch -

Posted on: 2014/11/3 16:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The switches for R9 and 22-23 series R11s are the same but are wired differently. The R9 lockout switch is in the ground side circuit coming from governor but the R11 is in the power circuit voltage to relay coil coming from ign switch. One of the tests that can be done to rule out governor ground problems on an R9 cannot be done the same way on the R11 because it will short the power.

Believe the switch is just an ordinary pushbutton type. As Phils38 mentioned, the little rounded plastic stem that rides on the rod can get worn. It doesn't move very much and doesn't take much wear before switch doesn't operate reliably. If yours is acting up sometimes you can gain extra travel to compensate for the wear by unscrewing the switch from the assy and removing the lockwasher if it is still present. Screwing it back in without the lockwasher will gain enough extra movement that it may work..

Posted on: 2014/11/3 17:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
This may be a new subject, but will ask, as I am trying to sort out the cut wires from the dash loom. 1. Where is the Auxiliary Harness Disconnect Plug located exactly ? the cable goes to the governor and solenoid 2. Where does the carb switch wire 19-YR exit from the dash loom ? Goes from ignition switch to carb switch. 3. Also, the Overdrive Indicator Light wire WR- goes to Overdrive Relay. Trying to identify the cut wires one at a time. Any help is appreciated -

Posted on: 2014/11/3 19:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The aux disconnect plug may actually be 6 individual wade type connectors located approx 3 ft away from the trans tucked in somewhere close to the L side frame rail just behind the pedal area where the diagonal attaches to straight rail. There was a bulletin mentioning intermittent moisture problems with the connectors and advising they be eliminated and wires spliced and soldered if the problem exhibited. Later harnesses had the connectors eliminated totally and was a solid run from engine cmpt. Your car could have the connectors but may have been eliminated or later version harness.

I believe the 19YR to carb switch is in about a 3' or so stretch of 2 or 3 wires coming straight off the main loom. Starts somewhere close to all the wires exiting in the OD relay & regulator area. If you have the EC accelerator sw it most likely starts where those exit. If three wires, then believe 2 of the wires go to carb sw and the third to heater motor.

Believe the OD light wire is part of the main loom and will be in the bunch of wires that exits straight to relay. 3 or 4 that exit topside of relay just past those going to regulator.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 21:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Gents - Thank you for the help here! John - having now driven my car with overdrive working, I can assure you that your efforts will be rewarded. Mine is a 49 with R11, and I haven't dug into the wiring diagrams as you have, but if you need me to snap some pictures please don't hesitate to let me know!

Posted on: 2014/11/4 9:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Here are some pictures of my cut wiring. I know it's a mess. Any comments are welcome Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (90.62 KB)
4958_5458f965a19b1.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (95.73 KB)
4958_5458f9890b2ec.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (99.81 KB)
4958_5458f9b123f00.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (93.36 KB)
4958_5458f9d6dacbe.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (61.99 KB)
4958_5458fa07294a4.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (101.24 KB)
4958_5458fa359e885.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (103.33 KB)
4958_54591c03dcbf3.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (65.44 KB)
4958_54591c2be0aa9.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/11/4 11:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thank you Sloride for your kind words - and you have a very nice car - Hope mine can be that nice someday -

Posted on: 2014/11/4 14:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved