Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
252 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 252

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Mounting Factory A/C Compressor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Packard V-8s didn't merely use a Lehigh compressor. They used a Lehigh V-4 compressor. There were several different versions of Lehigh compressors, not one.

Also, the flat-top Lehigh wasn't just ARA and aftermarket. These were also used on Lincoln and Continental factory air up to 1960... and other cars. I had these in my 1958 and 1959 Continentals.

Also remember on Packard V-8 factory air, you need an extra pulley on the front of the lower existing pulleys...AND you need a longer bolt to fasten it.

Up until a few years ago when I last checked, ARA in downtown Los Angeles had Lehigh parts. There used to be a place near Frost & French that had rebuild kits and seal kits. There was another location out in Ontario (California) that had a big parts warehouse with lots of old parts. But again, it has been a few years since I last checked. This stuff may all be gone now. Most of the ARA operations are no longer in business.

Posted on: 2016/5/9 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Good to know! I had a look at the V2 compressor in my 1965 Imperial LeBaron to see if it would simulate Lehigh but with the clutch in front of the pulley, I doubt it would work. The Imperial has dual front and rear air so it seemed powerful enough but probably would not be adaptable.

I do have the lower pulley. In fact, I have the entire lower vibration damper but I'm not sure if I have the longer bolt. I think I do but I'm not sure.

On the other components, I have the large pieces but I'm missing the dash switch and small parts, brackets, clamps etc. but what I do have will likely work only as patterns. The plenum, for example, would need to be remade and the receiver/dryer, being exposed as it has been, would not be usable at all.

Posted on: 2016/5/9 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
By the way, I have an A.R.A. system with a York compressor and trunk unit but it's from a 1953 Mayfair so must be 6v.

Posted on: 2016/5/9 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I went out to take a quick inventory before closing up the shop but could not find the longer vibration damper bolt so that's another thing to add to the list of what I will need! The plenum seems in good shape other than the piece with the air inlet as it seems to be held on by only a tiny bit of the material.

However and as an aside, I was surprised to find another compressor other than the York that I thought was for the A.R.A. unit from the 1953 Mayfair. Searching all over it, I saw no name anywhere so I'm not sure what it is or where it came from. Unfortunately I did not have the camera with me and won't be back out there for a few months.

Posted on: 2016/5/9 23:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I contacted a rebuilder who says they can restore the original Lehigh A/C compressor. It's not inexpensive and the car isn't even close to being ready for it but perhaps I should do it "while the getting is good" as they say, especially if they can plug the lines well to keep out moisture and dirt. Any ideas on this?

I have two devices that look like receiver/driers and one is for the 1956 Packard but was there another device too? I found a smaller one and am not sure if it goes to this or not. In any event, it/they would need to be restored so is that a possibility?

Although I've never opened up this compressor, it was fairly clear that is was a V-4 due to the oval shape on the heads but I'm glad to have gotten a confirmation. I compared with my Imperial's V-2 mainly to see if it might work as a suitable modern replacement that, being a vertical V-style, roughly simulates the original Lehigh but it likely would not work, especially due to the front-mounted clutch but also because of the shape of the oil sump.

Posted on: 2016/5/14 15:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A couple of questions. One would be what type refrigerant are you going to use. This being Calif, R12 is getting rather hard to come by and very expensive when you do find someone to install it. Can the compressor seals work with R134A if the need should arise. Also the oil would have to change if R134 is used. Would there be any issues there.

Another question would be temp control. If you have your modulator valve and it is functioning the temp control is by hot gas bypass. As soon as you turn AC on the compressor starts and runs all the time. The modulator valve is set at a fixed temp and opens and closes to effectively shunt or by pass the refrigerant. With the valve open, refrigerant essentially goes out one compressor port and in the other. None goes to evaporator until evaporator temp raises sufficiently to call for it and modulator valve closes to prevent the refrigerant being bypassed. Will valve work with R134 instead of R12 in the system.

If the modulator valve is defective or won't work well with R134 there is no way to control temp other than do as modern cars do and use an electrical thermostat to turn the compressor on and off. Rotary compressors and their clutches are designed for this and can rapidly engage at higher engine speeds without undue strain or issues. I would be concerned doing this with the Lehigh. It has an old style clutch and a large reciprocating mass. I would verify with the rebuilder the compressor could handle the strain of turning on and off several times a minute when going down the road if that need should arise.

Posted on: 2016/5/14 15:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, all good questions but most are far into the future as this car won't be even driveable any time soon. I will inquire about them, though.

As for R134A, that is the very thing I discussed with the rebuilder but have not yet gotten a firm answer although they seemed to suggest it would work. I've switched from R12 to R134A in several '80s vehicles without doing anything special and had no problem but in this case I need to be sure before proceeding.

Posted on: 2016/5/14 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have some answers regarding r134a and whether other components can also be restored.

Quote:
We can provide any of the rebuilding / reconditioning services for the complete system. Everything you receive back will be capped. The Hot Gas Valve can be used with 134a, I need to see which one you have, we may be able to adjust it for better performance.

Since they need a photo and I'm hundreds of miles away from my car, can anyone supply one of the hot gas valve? Isn't there also some kind of solenoid needed? If so, I do not believe I have it.

Posted on: 2016/5/17 20:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My damaged valve is put away no no good photos but here are a couple of factory photos. The modulator or bypass valve is the smaller valve with an arrow pointing to temp adjust screw. No solenoids are used on 55-6. This valve does the temp regulation. Who or what is the company that can do the work?

Attach file:

jpg  (106.50 KB)
209_573bc5cdb79e9.jpg 1150X1022 px

jpg  (306.80 KB)
209_573bc5db53460.jpg 1106X1032 px

Posted on: 2016/5/17 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thanks a bunch! I hadn't realized it was the expansion valvue they were asking about.

It's Classic Auto Air that I found through another current thread. I already knew of them but didn't know they could work on these older systems until it was mentioned in the other thread.

Posted on: 2016/5/17 20:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved