Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 151

Ozstatman, Joe Santana, pmhowe, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Motor rebuild questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Barry Lowe
See User information
great advice guys, I have a 29 straight 8 I hope to start rebuilding in a month or two and will surely come back to this post.
I wonder if you can point me in the direction of a supplier for the cam followers, the motor i have does not have them with the block.
Thanks
Barry Lowe
336-516-7009

Posted on: 2017/3/26 8:44
1925 333 Phaeton
1926 Phantom 1 Rolls Royce
1926 Hudon super six Coupe
1927 Peerless Roadster
1927 433 7 passenger limo
1928 Peerless coupe
1929 Peerless Boatail coupe
1929 Phantom I Rolls Royce
1930 Springfield Phantom 1 Regent
1931 L-29 Cord
1931 833 Convertible
1931 833 Opera Coupe
1934 Phantom 11 Rolls Royce
1934 1101 Roadster
1934 1101 Coupe
1934 V12 Opera coupe
1936 120
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For many years Egge reproduced the actual cam roller and pin assemblies, but announced a few years ago that they were going to stop production. IIRC they later reversed themselves, so first thing to check is if Egge still has the rollers and pins. Now the arms used in the 7th Series were the original stamped steel type, later replaced with forgings; for these you're going to have to look into the used parts market, Kanter would strike me as the best bet. If not, start looking for a junk motor - the arms themselves are the same for both the 320 and 385 cubic inch engines though of course the housings and shafts are different.

Attach file:

jpg  (107.30 KB)
177_58d7c76dc8a61.jpg 764X794 px

jpg  (315.60 KB)
177_58d7c7a7dfe4b.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/3/26 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Bartrom
See User information
Alright guys I'm learning more and more about these motors as I read threads in this forum...
Today's question is can I use newer 320 rods that have shell bearings in my 7th series motor?

Posted on: 2017/3/30 5:48
1930 boat tail speedster
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know the full answer here, Hollander's indicates that the later rods do not interchange.

There is a notation in the 1933-36 parts list that replacements for earlier babbitted connecting rods are now being supplied for use with insert bearings. You may wish to note that in the 320 engine the even numbered connecting rods are different that the odd numbers, and this continued thru at least 1936.

Posted on: 2017/3/30 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Dave - I know I am shooting from the hip here...and believe me, I am NOT an expert on the 320 motors, but...
I do believe the later rods will serve as an updated replacement, primarily to take advantage of the insert bearings, and second, my recollection is the parts book difference is that replacement rods were supplied with the pin bushing installed, which is offset to one side. ...and I also have a brain cell buzzing to explain that the centerline of the rod neck is slightly offset, which is why you simply cannot turn a rod over to account for the bushing offset.
Would someone please chime in to clarify this....

And with all the effort and cost to change to the later rods, why not just have the original rods re-babbitted? Folklore suggests its the quality of the babbitt that is of issue, but there are so few shops now doing babbitt, the amateurs have been pretty much weeded out.

DAF

...and for purely self serving purposes, i have a set of later rods available.

Posted on: 2017/3/30 9:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Dave:

Not an expert here either, I've always rebuilt with rods correct for the engine as originally built. But I do have a set of '34 320 engine rods and will take a look later and see if I can spot the difference between the even and odd numbered ones.

-------------------------------------------------------

PS: Good memory Dave! Examining my spare '34 Eight rods (last year for babbitt) I cannot tell if the small end eye is symmetrical with the rod centerline or not, but surely the pin bushing is installed with an offset to the front of the engine on the odd-numbered rods, and obviously the opposite on the even #s.

Re Ernie's comment on babbitt bearing life, my rods went 88,000 miles before I heard the first hint of a rod knock at cold startup - so I stayed with babbitt for the rebuild.

Posted on: 2017/3/30 9:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...I agree with the comment that just re doing the babbit is a good way to go. Many of us drive other old machines, as well and many have babbited mains and rods. If the machines are driven with the respect that they deserve, they will serve quite well and for many thousands of miles. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/3/30 10:14
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved