Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 200

Ozstatman, BillinNC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 49 wings came loose
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe the hood ornament is called a "Swan". The "Cormorant" is on the coat-of-arms. JWL

Posted on: 2017/10/19 10:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Actually, the ornament is properly referred to as a Cormorant, which is the exact bird it is modeled after. The coat of arms is just exactly that, may sometimes be referred to as the emblem. The noun "Swan" should never enter the conversation of educated Packard folks.

Posted on: 2017/10/19 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
MrPushbutton, I consider myself an educated Packard folk. The bird depicted in the ornaments is far too attractive to be a Cormorant, which is not a pretty bird. I understand there has been much discussion, opinions expressed, and words written on this subject. I will stick to my opinion, and expect others to have theirs, albeit different. Take care. JWL

Posted on: 2017/10/19 15:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The bird at the top of the Packard coat of arms is a pelican. "A Pelican in her piety"... very old Christian symbolism used in heraldry, look it up. The bird hood ornament has been referred to as a Pelican, Cormorant and yes, even a Swan in official Packard Motor Car Company documents. Mine are Cormorants. Why does this argument persist?

Posted on: 2017/10/19 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I took an admiring and closer look at my swept-back winged 1950 hood ornament and think it looks more swan-like than the rather ugly Cormorant. I don't know what kind of bird is seen on the heraldic Packard crest, but it certainly is not a swan feeding her offspring. So, I am content to have both a swan up top with some sort of feeding bird on the Packard emblem. In any case, the ambiguity of it all pales in contrast to GM producing a car, sold in Spanish-speaking countries as a "No Go" (or Nova). Let alone the French Canadian meaning for Lacrosse.

Since my wife pointed out that the upright winged Swan looked like a water fowl skidding to a panic stop, my admiration for a lethal hood decoration has cooled. I still like any of the birds a bit better than the Donut Pusher, but wonder what would have happened if the donut had Goodyear or Firestone emblems cast on it? After all, if the cormorant debate had never come up, how many people would have bothered to see what the term really meant? We're all richer for the debate and the magazine stands proudly named for the value it has to Packard lovers worldwide. It would still be as elegant if it were named Swan or Pelican.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 8:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved