Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 193

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 18 »

Re: Howdy
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm often amazed at how many people fail to include checking the hydraulic oil in the knee-action shocks as part of routine vehicle care. Keep an eye on them, if you see significant leaks or seepage you'll be in for quite a job to remove and have them rebuilt, and quite expensive to boot. But they are essential to good road manners.

Posted on: 2014/1/9 18:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Thanks OD, I assure you mine will remain topped off from now on!

On another note - a question that's been bothering me, but I've been embarrassed to ask. What keeps the starter from engaging at WOT? or was it just assumed that a gentleman driving a Packard would never require WOT?

Posted on: 2014/1/10 19:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Apologies for butting in if the switch question was addressed to O_D but just happen to have this "how it works" clipping from an old Motors Manual at the ready.

With respect to the WOT, they must have found out early on that some drivers -- Packard or otherwise -- are not gentlemen.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 293.58 KB; Hits: 62

Posted on: 2014/1/10 20:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Howard, absolutely not butting in! I apologize if I mislead, but as a general rule I am greatful for any and all input! Thank you for the file!

Posted on: 2014/1/10 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Howard, thank you so much for posting that article! Having read it, I now have insight into an issue I've been having. Apparently, I need some shims.

On my car, the starter only engages when the pedal is depressed to the floor. I thought this was by design. I actually had to adjust the linkage to get the starter to engage. This adjustment left me with not enough "return" - the linkage would not pull the carb all the way back to idle. I thought this was just due to wear in the linkage joints, and was contemplating adding a return spring.

Simultaneously, I noted that recently I have had to put my hand over the carb throat to get it to start, as the arm on the carb linkage lifts the choke butterfly "too early". Of course, if the start switch operated as described in this article, I would not have this issue, either.

So to make a long story short, I'm very excited to discover a simple fix to two issues I've been having!

Thank you Howard, and thank you Packardinfo.com!!!

Posted on: 2014/1/10 22:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad you were able to use the info. Don't remember what the shims look like so hopefully you will be able to make or find something that works.

No idea how critical the lack of a gauge will be and expect a real one will be all but impossible to find. Perhaps something can be rigged up with a protractor and some stiff wire to duplicate the tool or at least get the adjustments in the range they want.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 22:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
It looks like I need to add another where the three are in this picture. Tomorrow I'll see if I have a small washer on hand, that I can cut a slit in, to slip in to place.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.68 KB)
19454_52d0cdd213acc.jpg 721X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/1/10 23:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Howard, is that Carter info posted somewhere in the Literature and Manuals section here on the site? That is a real "good to know" piece.

Posted on: 2014/1/11 12:03
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

HA52 wrote:
Howard, is that Carter info posted somewhere in the Literature and Manuals section here on the site? That is a real "good to know" piece.

I don't know if BigKev added it or not. It has been posted in the general forum several times when people have asked questions it could answer.

Posted on: 2014/1/11 14:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Yeah, thanks HH for the carter piece. My switch was bypassed when I got it, so when it didn't work starting up, I bypassed it again. Couldn't find any info at the time how it worked/repair.
Looks like the final drive yesterday before tear down. I adjusted the carb some more, it's been a bit rich, and it was running pretty good but has the lifter noise and a slight lag, which is probably those lifters hanging and maybe the accelerator pump isn't quite right after rebuild.
One smooth running motor. Proud of the old fastback. It'll turn my junk yard instaleak fix tires without much effort. But I'm going for mo-power. I almost bought another '49 (GM) fastback vehicle, but thank god they sold it before I got there. I don't know what I'd do with 2 projects but I'd have a enviable man cave.
Slowride - u can always ask a question here before you get into trouble. I don't watch this everyday allday like some, but you can email me and others, also. I'm not the best but been around a while have the engr background different view. Glad you didn't go for the full weld fix, you might've been in remorse. I did see a place in MN or WI listed that does concourse grade repairs to cast. In repairs, try ones that are reversible and not the riskiest ones. You can still fix yours later. I never did get if it was the intake or exhaust. If the intake leaks, it's run rough, and if the exhaust leaks, you'll see or hear it.

Posted on: 2014/1/11 15:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved