Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 186

CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 20 »

Re: GearRat's '52
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There is a little tab (or at least was) on the float arm that kept the float from dropping too far. There is a float drop measurement in the manual. There is no way that needle should drop out of the seat--you can easily check that while it is apart.

That said, did run into a weird one lately: intermittent flooding. Needle was beautiful, seat was beautiful, float level carefully set. Turns out the needle was too small a diameter for the needle seat, and in certain conditions as the float came up the needle would jam cocked in the seat. Only found it by holding the carb top in normal position and slowly working the float up and down. This was supposedly a matched set. (Not from a Packard supplier--this was in a Willys, but there are bad aftermarket parts everywhere.)

Posted on: 2013/10/2 15:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Howdy there Ross!

You know, now that you mention it I think I remember the new seat I put in being a little shorter than the old one. I also reused the old needle since the new one was the black rubber tipped kind. That could be the issue. The needle doesn't fall completely out of the seat, but it does go out of alignment just like you describe. I am able to fix this condition by taking off the brass screen and sticking a paper clip down the opening and re-aligning the needle. You may have solved the issue!

P.S. Got the kit from Mike's carburetor parts.

Thank you Sir!

-Garrett

Posted on: 2013/10/2 16:31
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys!

Not much new to report, other than the arrival of my tail light lens and a couple of bezels. The bezels that arrived had better chrome, which isn't saying much, so off with the old.

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (99.19 KB)
3628_524dcfe9d6b23.jpg 1000X912 px

jpg  (94.83 KB)
3628_524dcff41bca5.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2013/10/3 15:13
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys!

Fixed the float and got the car running well yesterday. Ross, what you said about the needle being smaller in diameter compared to the seat, was spot on. I checked it out with the new "black tipped" needle that I didn't want to use, and that one fit much more snug in the seat. My dad offered to take the black tipped needle to the machine shop to get them to make a completely brass one (as you can see below). It worked just fine.

And I finally got to take my car to the Sonic down the road on Halloween night, very fun! I was dressed like a greaser, pompadour and everything. Now if I can just get this crap out of my hair.

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (32.31 KB)
3628_5273ed53a135e.jpg 1000X753 px

jpg  (87.41 KB)
3628_5273ed5ea1d17.jpg 1000X666 px

Posted on: 2013/11/1 13:05
Garrett

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
In view of modern fuel blends, I think it's a wise decision not to use oneof those Viton-tipped needles.

Nice job of machining a little part! Maybe more of us can try something like that, rather than performing a complete overhaul that might not be needed - when only the needle has failed.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 13:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
your car is one of my fav on here.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 14:06
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
you r project ia also one of my favs , cause very similiar to mine. Kanters has the glass tailights which i prefer. but they are 90 a piece.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Great photo of you and the car. I would so ride down to the Sonic with you. Thanks.

Glad the needle thing worked out, but I would have put the rubber tipped in without a moment's thought. I just did a little mental inventory and I have 15 rubber tipped needles in service., some more than 13 years old with no problems, and this is in MD where they fiddle with the gas a lot. I think the real problem comes when people start mixing up cocktails of weird solvents and miracle helpers in their gas tank and end up with something that would strip the heat shield off the space shuttle.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 11:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks BH, Hank, Rusty, and Ross! Sorry for the late response.

Not much to report about the '52. Took her to a car show in early November, which happened to be the farthest I've traveled in her. It was probably a 30 mile round-trip. Other than that she has mostly sat in the driveway. One thing I noticed the other day when I started her up was a water leak coming from the block, above the distributor. I'm going to have to fix that soon, not sure why it started leaking in the first place. Oh, and I lost my passenger side spear tip on the way to that car show in November.

This year I plan on getting her title and registration done so I don't have to sweat taking her out on the streets. And, I also want to get a transmission that works well. It is extremely difficult driving without a 2nd gear, especially when down shifting is almost impossible. I'm just not sure where to get one? I don't need overdrive, just a transmission that will allow me to truly enjoy my car.

Here's a couple videos I took today, along with a photo from the car show I attended. Links: vid 1 vid2

-Garrett

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sJkMHuO8T-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AymimB3C_1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attach file:

jpg  (65.12 KB)
3628_52d339fd167cf.jpg 1000X698 px

Posted on: 2014/1/12 20:01
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys!

Not much going on; doing a routine check up on the '52. Like Hank, I've been tending to other projects, namely, my late grandfather's '35 Ford. I am having a lot of fun just like I did with my Packard. Something about trying to bring back a car from the dead makes me feel like Dr. Frankenstein. Working behind a closed gate where no one can tell what's going on. Until the day arrives that you wheel out the beast and garner the eyes of the "General Public". I don't know if that's just me, but I really enjoy reviving the Dead

Hope all is well Packardifo-ers!

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (137.82 KB)
3628_52eac52ab694a.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (102.56 KB)
3628_52eac56cbd49d.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (113.31 KB)
3628_52eac580f2151.jpg 1000X877 px

jpg  (18.01 KB)
3628_52eac5e2212d4.jpg 619X384 px

Posted on: 2014/1/30 16:36
Garrett

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 20 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved