Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
With regard to first gear grinding when you select first when not at a complete stop: put the clutch down, select second gear and then with the clutch still down, select first gear. You don't need to spend and time in 2nd gear, you're just using it for the syncro. That was a habit I got into with my clipper. -looking good! And those oil transfer pumps are handy. Also works well to suck old oil out of the filter canister when doing an oil change.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 23:07
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I will try that next time thanks!

getting ready for Kerrville. used Purple power on the white walls and look what happened...no more yellow! that is the same stuff I use to degrease the parts. great stuff...but dangerous in concentrate form.

used NU-Finish to polish the paint....I like seeing the 55 in the reflection on the 37.

anyone know if that is an original accessory lock on the side mount? I have no key and will have to get a locksmith to come out and make me one. the other side is just a nut, so at least I have a tire I can get off incase of a flat.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.51 KB)
491_56fc3d28e6366.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (83.65 KB)
491_56fc3d3291fcc.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (52.66 KB)
491_56fc3d383cdac.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2016/3/30 15:56
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your spare tire lock is known as an Oakes lock, standard equipment with side mounts.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 16:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Well I got one.... That's locked lol. Very effective when you have no key!

I feel like if it was unlocked then the key part would push in and the unit would slip off. Kinda like hooking and unhooking air tools.

I can push the key part in but it won't go far enough to get the lock off. The nut shape on the end is confusing too.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 18:00
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a relatively easy lock to pick. No, nothing moves in when you unlock it, assuming it's the same as '36 and earlier the lock engages/disengagess the hex to the threaded stud. Nothing unique to Packard about them, used on many makes.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I'll have too try picking it before I call a lock smith. I'm no super spy though, so I'm not hopeful that I'll be successful.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 19:48
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well I'm all set for Kerrville, just have to get the trailer tomorrow and load up. the car is about as clean as I can get it without breaking my back. she is a 10-20 footer, especially the motor. course I'm my own worst critic.

I bleed the front left brakes again, some air came out. it seemed to help at first, but it still pulls to the right a bit and it is VERY touchy and easy to lock up the front brakes.

I tried every suggestion (except adjusting pedal) on the transmission and nothing worked...1st is just a bit bitchy and 2nd likes to make noise. that'll be on the list upon return as well, but a parts wizard is helping in that area!

I don't have time to look into any of that further. it will be good enough to drive onto the trailer....drive off....go to the car show....and drive back on the trailer. just gotta treat her nicely.

true story...and I can only laugh now....I bought a bunch of engine degreaser.....first can I picked up and sprayed on the motor.....brake cleaner....AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! how the hell did I get that in the bag. a Quick hand to the degreaser and it helped save some of the paint. its peeling in that spot now though.....@%@#$@#! the crap we do when we don't pay attention!

Posted on: 2016/3/31 21:23
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've never had brake cleaner remove paint.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 23:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
went to the Texas Packard meet. had a great time and caught up with several people that knew the story of this car already. I guess news travels fast in the Packard community. It was good to see my Packard buddies as well and to meet BDC Gerritt. I hauled some parts back for Flackmaster and hopefully will catch up with him soon as well.

I won first place, but it was no contest since I was the only one in my class. still happy about it.

the highlight of the show for me was getting to see my good friend Mike Franko (Let The Ride Decide). he pretty much bought several of the Packard parts from the estate when my Grandfather passed. Upon meeting up with him I was presented with this blob of what looked like a highschool art project gone wrong. I had no idea what it was and my confusion level was high.

come to find out it was the mold that my Grandfather made out of necessity to reproduce the jump seat handles for the 37 limo! I was VERY excited! but then on top of that...he hands me another box with the handles that my Grandfather actually cast with the mold! not only do I own the mold (probably the only one), but I have a set precast!

they are cast in brass and probably should be chromed, but since my interior is brown, I'm going to install them with some brass screws and leave them the color they are to go with the interior. I'll have to polish them a bit first.

now I just need the ash tray, grab handles, and folding foot rest.

thanks again Mike! you da bomb!

the other funny thing was the comments on how I was pulling a 20' enclosed trailer with 4k worth of Packard in it with a 1/2 ton truck. Tundra....that's how. lol!

Attach file:

jpg  (53.70 KB)
491_5707d67f4c735.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (87.75 KB)
491_5707d685c2d33.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (87.21 KB)
491_5707d68b3a8d7.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2016/4/8 11:04
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Henry, it was good to meet you and some other PI-members. That's so cool that Mike happen to have that cast, and brought it "back home". Must be good to have a connection back to your grandfather. It's 1 thing to have a nice car, but having a story and a connection to it is even better.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 11:37
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved