Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 200

Ozstatman, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 123 124 125 (126) 127 128 129 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saturday 13th October 2012 - US time in Hershey Pennsylvania.

Tried to do this early today but, between packing, both parts and personal effects, ran out of time. Wade has been kind enough to pick up the running as shop photographer, on a limited basis, and provided the commentary below as well as the pic's.

"...Just a couple of shots to show that I was telling the truth, it really is coming together. Caught up with your Hershey adventures today and was amazed to see that you even found the door sill trims for me...."

Attach file:

jpg  (47.10 KB)
226_5079e001a6f68.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.48 KB)
226_5079e00f921b2.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/13 16:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 19th October 2012

Called into the workshop bearing the sill plates for The Fossil, also some too short Trippe light bracket bolts and some clips for Barry Smith's '51 Convertible. Wade is still in the midst of preparing Big Red's engine prior to it's reunification operation. A lot of time consuming and necessary tasks to ensure it's a once only operation. Also phoned Chris, Starliner, regarding the parts bought for him at Hershey. Brought 2 things of his home with me, a hood ornament and a rear window trim piece. The rest is coming by boat and is scheduled to arrive before Christmas.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.65 KB)
226_50810780d5533.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.03 KB)
226_5081079865fb9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.64 KB)
226_508107a91499c.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.36 KB)
226_508107b85e008.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.15 KB)
226_508107ca3c3d6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.93 KB)
226_508108875d5ca.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (15.95 KB)
226_508108dae9a56.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2012/10/19 2:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 22nd October 2012

Been a while, but back in the workshop today getting my hands dirty. And that's about all I did, while Wade installed parts I held a shop light, passed tools and generally 'go-fered'. The engine was in when I arrived and the grill, radiator and bonnet(hood) had also been installed with help from Graham over the last few days. Wade was just finishing off installing the fender beading for the grill and buttoning that up. The front bumper was then re-installed, and the lower radiator hose, and the generator and fanbelt, tensioning same. Next checked under car and re-installed the engine splash shields. The front wheels went on temporarily and Big Red was dropped to the workshop floor for the first time since mid April. The upper front suspension pins were then tightened with weight on them then back in the air, wheels off, further tightened and split pins installed. Wheels back on, dropped to floor again, all lug bolts tightened and hubcaps on. At this point work came to a close because the oil Wade had ordered hadn't yet arrived, but should be here Thursday afternoon. Still some work to be done once the oil is to hand with the top parts of the engine not yet re-installed. Reason being Wade wants to fill with oil then turn the engine over without the head on to ensure oil is thoroughly distributed to the moving parts and that it has oil pressure. Left it at that but will return Thursday, Wade's not in tomorrow, when first thing we'll do is pick up Richards '39 Convertible Coupe from Les who has finished the rust repairs on it. Might be a tight squeeze fitting it into the workshop Noel but I have been assured your chassis won't be kicked out into the cold!

Attach file:

jpg  (32.63 KB)
226_50861102af63d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.75 KB)
226_50861115a97a0.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.04 KB)
226_50861126965b3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.41 KB)
226_5086113843477.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.02 KB)
226_5086114c62f97.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.96 KB)
226_5086115fe1e1f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.38 KB)
226_5086116b2489c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/22 22:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 25th October 2012

First up it was into Wade's Ute and off to pick up "Roy", Richard's '39 110 Convertible Coupe, from Les. I was navigator and although I didn't get us lost, for a change, did gave a wrong direction but was able to compensate without losing our way. At Les's, I was circumspect and didn't take any pic's, as I'd been advised he prefers it that way. Very disappointing, to this Packard shutter bug, there being 2 x '33 Sedans, 1 x '36 120 Convertible Coupe, 1 x '37 120 Coupe, 1 x '46? Clipper Sedan. 1 x '48 rolling chassis and a myriad of parts around. When it came time to start Roy, he wouldn't, but after 2 battery changes and a hefty dose of 'Start U B@$t@rd' he finally sprang into life. Les swears Roy started right up earlier in the week! For the drive home I led the way in the Ute, after undertaking an intensive map reading course of the street directory prior to getting behind the wheel. Took the easiest and most direct route which entailed about 10 miles of Freeway driving and suffice to say we were the slowest cars on the Freeway. I learned later that Roy appears to need more than a look over the engine because of low compression with front shocks, steering, brakes all leaving a lot to be desired, I'm glad Wade was handling the chauffeurs duties in this instance.

Back at the workshop Roy was parked outside while we turned our attention to other matters. While I cleaned and gapped a set of plugs for Big Red, Wade massaged the heater hose fitting on Big Red's head to eliminate a tendency for leakage. Then it was onto the steering column for Noel's '41 160. All the parts had been disassembled and cleaned up but needed painting prior to assembly. Because they are parts exposed to view a Mal POR-15 job just wont do. Previously Wade had the paint colour matched from that on the steering wheel and besides a litre(about a quart) had two rattle cans made up containing the brown(my description, I'm sure there's a more precise colour reference) paint required. Then followed masking of the parts including Noel's K wheel of which Graham had stripped back the hub ready for painting. However prior to applying colour a spray etch primer has been applied and will be allowed to 'cure' before colour coats are applied.

Then David from Antique Tyre Service and Penrite Oil arrived. He had 20 litres of running in oil, 20 litres of oil for use after running in as well as 2 tubes of steering box lubricant for Wade. Also, in the back of his Ute, he had an old tyre off Big Red which Wade has been battling to obtain a refund or credit for after it's failure quite some time back. These tyres, by the time they land in Oz, are around $600 each, so you want full life out of them. The dispute is still in progress with another round scheduled for mid November.

After Davids departure turned to filling Big Red's sump with running in oil of which it took about 7 litres to slightly overfill by dipstick reading. Then using the starter turned over the headless engine to 1) pump oil through to fill all the passages and the oil filter, and 2) to ensure there was oil pressure in the system. First cranking attempt was aborted when it was realised, because the carb wasn't in place, the fuel line to the carb was pumping jets of fuel out over the manifold. To fix that the carb was temporarily mounted and fuel line connected, result no more jets of errant fuel. But after a lot of cranking the oil pressure gauge hadn't moved. Used a 12V booster pack, for more oomph, but it was depleted so wasn't much help. Then a second booster pack, no use at all, it didn't have any charge in it! Third, and last one available, certainly spun the engine over very rapidly, but best of all there was about 5lbs of oil pressure. Quickly disconnected the booster pack and then packed away Big Red until Monday. Not enough time left today to put on the head gasket, carb, distributor, etc, etc.

Turned back to Roy who needs to be housed indoors until he can receive the attention he requires. Did this by putting Big Red right up on the hoist, lowering Roys's top(Wade also did that on the trip over, rearward visibility isn't at all good with the top up), and Wade backing Roy into the space below Big Red. Graham did a great job of directing Wade for the final run in under Big Red, thanks Graham.

And while we're at work Noel and company are enjoying themselves. How do I know this? See pic's courtesy of the Flackmistress!

Attach file:

jpg  (34.91 KB)
226_5088d128838fe.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.02 KB)
226_5088d13bc9949.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.56 KB)
226_5088d14e63f5a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.37 KB)
226_5088d15d27115.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.09 KB)
226_5088d16fa2c9a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.79 KB)
226_5088d1859ab6d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.09 KB)
226_5088d197462aa.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (20.74 KB)
226_5088d1aa294d8.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (31.10 KB)
226_5088d2069c7ca.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.75 KB)
226_5088d213005ba.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2012/10/25 0:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 29th October 2012

With double deck Packard parking now in vogue at the workshop first thing was to move Roy, the '39 Convertible Coupe, outside so Big Red could come down to the floor to be worked on. But with Roy reluctant to start, very low compression doesn't help and the can of Start-U-B@$t@rd in Big Red, a stepladder was required for the cans retrieval. After that Roy responded, to the infusion administered down his carb throat, with alacrity. First job was putting the head on Big Red but we were short washers for under the head nuts so I made a trip over to Lee Bros to source some. And, for all you Morris Minor aficionados, thought I'd be able to photograph a Morris Minor or two at Morris Minor World which is just around the corner from Lee Bros. Except it isn't located there now! It's now at Northmead, about 3/4 mile away but far enough to make it out of the way on a Lee Bros visit. Forgive me, all those who were getting their Morris Minor fixes here will now have to go elsewhere.

Morris Minors aside, there weren't any, procured the washers and returned to the workshop. There, the head gasket was sprayed with a copper sealing coat and installed along with the head. Then came the head stud tightening which was accomplished with new studs and new head nuts. First tightened by hand, then in recommended sequence using a socket and ratchet, then using the torque wrench. First torque setting was at 40 ft/lbs. This wasn't done just once, or twice, no it was done three times! It's quite eye-opening how much more the nuts turned on the second sequence but by the third sequence it was then only minor increments. Next was at 50 fl/lbs sequenced once, then 60 ft/lbs also only sequenced once. However the final tightening sequence at 62 ft/lbs was done twice. It was apparent that after pulling everything down a number of times at 40 ft/lbs using the new studs and nuts, that in tightening after that the incremental head nut rotations experienced were very ordered with little variation experienced. But that won't be the end of torquing down the head nuts. After the engine starts for the first time, and is properly warmed up, they will be tightened again probably twice. Then after some initial running in time, and miles on the engine, another hot tightening down will occur. I had to leave early and by the time I left the carburettor had been re-installed but the distributor and upper radiator hose still needed to be installed along with filling the radiator. However I rang Wade later and found out Big Red was now complete and had been fired up and running, and running well, getting sufficiently hot for a hot tightening sequence.

And why did I ring Wade? Because during the course of one of the many tightening sequences, I think it was the 50 ft/lbs one, we had a visit from another Packard guy, RossM. Ross is an Aussie who has spent the last 25 years in the US but is home now. Ross is organising for his '35 Super Eight 3 Window Coupe to be shipped to Australia. The Coupe has been undergoing restoration for the last 7 years, after all it was in 5,000 pieces when obtained, but is close to completion now which will be done in Australia. There are also some engine issues which still need to be addressed and Wade is going to attend to those. The phone call was to find out Ross's email address, which I'd written down at the workshop but forgotten to take with me. I told Ross I'd email him a link to this Blog.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.80 KB)
226_508e17b8a26f2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.17 KB)
226_508e17c832c9a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.96 KB)
226_508e17d9de956.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.59 KB)
226_508e17e9a619e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/29 0:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 30th October 2012

Wade was topping up the water in Big Red when I arrived. Seems that yesterday, there were a couple of large burps in the cooling system after start up. With any air pockets now purged more water was needed. Then start up, first press of the button and fired right up. Checked for leaks, oil, fuel and water and none found. Running smoothly, no vibration like it's previous incarnation, so was left to warm up for a while. Warmed up, Big Red was moved over near the workshop entrance and the tyres checked, all were down by the same amount so brought back up. Then out on the road, following the usual test route. All went well, oil and temp gauges monitored without any adverse indications, running smoothly, pulling well, no 'strange' noises. Wade was well pleased, that is until we returned to the workshop. That's when Graham informed him there was a small pool of oil where Big Red had been parked! Looked things over for signs of a leak with the right side engine splash tray showing evidential stains. Put Big Red up on a jack, along with a couple of jack stands, and Wade surveyed things from below. Confirmed the oil stains but wasn't able to pinpoint the source of the leak. Back on the floor again and started up, with the focus on the block fitting for the oil pressure gauge. And there they were, tiny bubbles of oil oozing from the fitting while the engine is running. Wade had his suspicions about the fitting because his original fitting didn't return from Tamworth with the rest of the engine parts, and had to use the fitting off The Fossil's spare engine. After being allowed to cool down, it's tight in there and close to the manifold, the fitting was able to be tightened up, and seems OK now. Will be put to the test over the next week with Wade driving Big Red to and from the workshop on a daily basis. Then the oil and filter will be changed and the head re-tightened.

Then the real test, a Packard Club Run from the 9th to the 12th of November. Lee, Larry51 here on PackardInfo, and his wife Marilyn have put a heap of work into organising a weekend run for the club. It's to Bathurst, about 120 miles west, where Lee and Marilyn live so we get to see their '51 Club Sedan in he metal. Runs have been organised to Carcoar, about 30 miles, to visit another PACA and PackardInfo member and also to Hill End, about 50 miles. There'll also be a 'not so hot lap' around the Mount Panorama road racing circuit. Why not so hot lap? Because when not being used for racing it's a public road! So with all that Big Red, as well as the other Packards in attendance, will given a real good workout on the rebuilt engine. And speaking of Bathurst, received a note from Noel who is also thinking ahead to that, although still in the US. Noel said "...When you see Wade, would you please ask him if I can bring Fleurette over to get the gearbox oil levels checked prior to Bathurst? Would like to do this on Tuesday or Wednesday if convenient..." Although I can't speak for Wade I'd be pretty sure this would be OK. After all, the more Packards going to Bathurst the better!

And speaking of Noel's Packard, besides Fleurette there's also his '41 160 Coupe. After Big Red's test run and leakage treatment attention then turned to the Coupes chassis. Big Red was parked out in the sun, glistening I must say after Steve buffed up the paintwork and Graham cleaned all the shiny bits. It really sparkles! But back to the chassis which went up on the hoist. Once there the pitman arm and cross arm were mounted and the steering linkage setup is now complete. The steering wheel was centered well, as well as my eye can manage in that situation. We'll see how well I went once it's on the road! All grease points were also attended to while it was in that situation. Lowered the hoist a bit and the radiator support brackets and rods were then tightened up. But back down on the workshop floor it was apparent the radiator wasn't vertical, leaning slightly forward. Wade removed the upper radiator hose, cut about 1/2" off the thermostat housing end of the hose, re-installed the hose and now it's great. Still need to source hose clips and a length of hose for the lower pipe and hose setup. Once that's done will be able to fill the radiator and start and run the 356 for a reasonable period of time. I think, although I'm often wrong when it comes to thinking, that's almost all Wade needs to do to the chassis at this stage.

That was all for today. Off to see our daughter, new grandson and granddaughters this afternoon.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.08 KB)
226_508f4a96d1fe3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.54 KB)
226_508f4af97d0c4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.92 KB)
226_508f4b0fae554.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.02 KB)
226_508f4b2af3f0f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.13 KB)
226_508f4b3d00b6d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (39.01 KB)
226_508f4c155fa5d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.18 KB)
226_508f4c26d86df.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.72 KB)
226_508f4c35b5a9c.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (20.90 KB)
226_508f4c462490b.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.32 KB)
226_508f4c58103c5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.57 KB)
226_508f4c6b22bbf.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/29 22:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, only a small oil leak from an ill fitting fitting? That's all? Impressive! Wade and associates must be doing something right. Congratulations on the rebirth of Big Red.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/30 10:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 31st October 2012

Last night Wade had driven Big Red home and then this morning back to the workshop. All went well, except for Wade's blood pressure in the peak hour traffic! And yesterday afternoon Wade had shuffled Noel's chassis back into the middle Packard workshop slot and put Roy up on the hoist. Found, amongst other things, the master cylinder is leaking and there's a lot of slop in the diff when turning the tailshaft by hand. Needs to speak to Richard about tackling the situation because Roy was originally scheduled for engine work to address his known low compression/poor starting aspects only.

Started with the intention of painting the steering column, steering wheel hub and various fittings for Noel's Coupe. But..... after a lot of shaking of the pressure pack spray can of paint, nothing! Same with the second can, as Jerry Lee might say "whole lotta shakin going on", but no action again. Wade will be calling into the paint shop to have this remedied. So turned to the chassis in the hope of finishing that off. To that end I was despatched to buy a length of radiator hose from Pirtek as well as some hose clamps to suit same. But as I was leaving the carpark Wade intercepted me with a further requirement, buying a brass 'plug' to fill the temp gauge sending unit hole on Noel's 356 head. Noel doesn't have the temp gauge sending unit, it can't be found or it's lost. Fortunately Pirtek, being a hydraulics company, should have those. They did, but somewhere along the line my request for a 'plug' was translated into a request for a 'cap' for the thread sample fitting Wade had given me to take. That sorted out, with an appropriate 'plug' obtained, the radiator hose and clips part was easy. Back at the workshop the 'plug' was installed, the hose cut to length for the upper and lower sections on the inlet pipe and that was installed. Then the radiator was filled with water with two leaks evident. One at the recently purchased 'plug', the other at a plug in the waterpump housing. Some judicious tightening and now the 356 holds water. Needed a radiator cap, but the magic shelf failed to come through this time. Instead, a shorter reach cap was used just to ensure cooling system integrity wasn't compromised. Then a piece of rubber hose was fitted to the radiator overflow tube. Tried a number of different diameter hoses before finding one to fit. Oh, and Noel, looks like Tuesday or Wednesday will be OK for Fleurette but speak to Wade to tee up the specifics. As well, could you ensure you pick the 356's carb off Tim and bring it with you so it can be run properly?

During the course of all this Michael, owner of the '54 Convertible arrived. Michael is recently retired, so recently in fact that this was his first day of retirement! Welcome to the club Michael. Michael has also been waiting patiently, very patiently in fact, for Wade to rebuild the front suspension on his convertible. Michael brought over the front end kit he purchased from Kanters many months ago as well as Service Manuals so Wade can read up on these beforehand, not having done much work at all on "modern" Packards! It looks like the Convertible will soon be riding smoothly again.

And last night received an email from PhilfromTassie concerning his '26 333 6 cyl Sedan Limousine, that Jonathon of Vintage Motor Garage had advised "...we've just had the engine running. Sounds great with 45 psi oil pressure...". Great to hear another Packard is running again. Here are VMG's YouTube videos of the startup. Johnathon is the guy in the blue overalls.

Part 1

Part 2

Halloween here and the granddaughters are going trick-or-treating tonight. The new grandson is a bit too young yet for that but was dressed for the occasion anyway.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.97 KB)
226_5090c374b04fa.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.76 KB)
226_5090c38cc8f82.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.65 KB)
226_5090c39d2f91f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.48 KB)
226_5090c3b430c5d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (20.66 KB)
226_5090c3d43b98f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.94 KB)
226_5090c3e296511.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.37 KB)
226_5090c40a669ed.jpg 267X400 px

jpg  (25.04 KB)
226_5090c42157398.jpg 384X400 px

Posted on: 2012/10/31 1:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 1st November 2012

First turned to what couldn't be done yesterday, spraying the steering wheel and column parts. And the same thing happened, nothing! Well, it was slightly better, about three and a half squirts out of one can but nothing from the other. Yesterday, Wade on his way home and was going to take the cans back to the paint shop when Graham intervened and miraculously the cans worked. Must have been a one off, because this morning it was back to where we started earlier in the week. So into Big Red, cans in hand, and off to the paint shop in earnest. Easy fix, the spray nozzles were blocked. The thought being that when they were packaged by the paint shop the nozzles hadn't been cleaned after filling the cans and testing them. Whatever the reason the cans now work so the column, column sheath, wheel and brackets were given a colour coat, and they'll receive another coat tomorrow.

Turned then to Roy. Wade had discussed Roy's woes with Richard last night and the go ahead given to do what needed to be done to return Roy to robust good health. To this end Roy was put up on the hoist and inspection and some diagnostics performed. There was a lot of slop in the diff and decided clunks when the tailshaft was turned back and forth. A major clunk appeared to be emanating from the vicinity of the right rear wheel. Off with the hubcap and it could be seen that. although the axle nut was staked with a split pin there was movement! Further disassembly, removing the wheel then the brake drum allowed closer inspection and diagnosis. The brake shoes on this side had also been locking and had been backed off prior to the disassembly. Further tests, with and without the brake drum on, indicate that the axle bearing is shot, feels like there are square balls in there! The left side bearing is also bad although the wheel and drum weren't removed from that side. Feel alone indicates the bearing is shot. The master cylinder is leaking, there are indications of leaks from the rear cylinders and/or bearings too. Plus relining the shoes wouldn't go astray. Although not removed, the front wheel cylinders will also be replaced as well as relining the front shoes. The fuel pump is leaking so it will be rebuilt. Plus there's the initial reason why Roy came in low or no compression and, probably because of that, hard starting. Although it fired right up today. Of course it had a little help, in the form of liberal squirts of Start-U-B@$#@rd! And Roy was started up because the plan is to procure the parts and then start the work.

In the meantime Roy now has a new place to call home, my garage! Roy will stay there, for temporary safe keeping, until the parts ordered arrive. I live fairly close to the workshop, about 3 to 4 miles away, but Wade's first thought was to trailer it there. 1) Because of how it drove on the way to the workshop from LesF's, and 2) Because of what was seen and diagnosed with the brake drum off. Only trouble was Roy, although a 110, wouldn't quite fit on the trailer. So with brake drum and wheel back on Wade drove Roy while I drove the Ute in advance. And Wade told me to go slow, which I did, and I doubt Roy ever got above 25mph on the trip. Once at my house, backed out my Coupe then had to clear the build up of "stuff" since the last cleanup when Noel's chassis was the likely tenant. Then Wade drove Roy in with about 9" left between the back wall and Roy's front bumper. I then drove my Coupe in behind Roy leaving about 9" between front and rear bumpers and 2" for the garage door to shut.

With Roy now enjoying a tete-a-tete with my Coupe in my garage this frees up a space in the Workshop and gives Wade a chance to bring in the '33 and finish off what he needs to do to get it running properly. And speaking of which, Wade rang the guy who's going to do the body work on the '33 because of the problem with the '33's fuel tank. The tank when it came back from stripping and cleaning had a fair number of holes in it. And Wade hadn't found anybody, he had confidence in, to fix it. No problem, said the guy, send it to me and if I can't fix it I'll make a new one! Wade didn't let that chance go by, so when I left the workshop the fuel tank was by the front door waiting to be picked up by the courier!

Now at home waiting 1) to hear of the birth of another granddaughter, to my eldest son's wife, it's actually happening as I type this, and 2) to leave soon for a Packard club meeting.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.23 KB)
226_50920e255d72f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.28 KB)
226_50920e374a5c3.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (33.32 KB)
226_50920e5cef06f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.84 KB)
226_50920e702f931.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.03 KB)
226_50920e84d2a06.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.34 KB)
226_50920ea660f2e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (8.71 KB)
226_50920eb736657.jpg 346X127 px

jpg  (31.29 KB)
226_50920eca749b3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.63 KB)
226_50920ed861b13.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.61 KB)
226_50920eea1b123.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.20 KB)
226_50920f001ace3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.42 KB)
226_50920f0fb0df8.jpg 534X400 px

Posted on: 2012/11/1 0:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 2nd November 2012

Not at the workshop today but did speak with Wade in the morning. Amongst other things, he was going to give Noel's steering column parts another colour coat.

Then, this afternoon while returning from seeing our latest granddaughter, saw Wade and Big Red heading the other way on their way home and took a hurried pic of that auspicious occurrence.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.64 KB)
226_50937645a3438.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.89 KB)
226_5093765689103.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/11/2 2:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 123 124 125 (126) 127 128 129 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved