Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 236

flackmaster, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 18 »

Re: Howdy
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oil pressure for that style of engine with normal bearing clearances should be about 35 psi at 30 mph, 15 or better psi at warm idle.

The 35 psi at 30 mph comes from Packards notice for the 282 engine, the 15 or better at idle is just personal observation. If the hot idle pressure is a bit less than that but jumps up quickly I wouldn't be concerned but anything less than 30 psi at road speed is a sign of problems and I wouldn't drive the car until I found and corrected the problem. I'm hoping you find the pump intake screen choked with sludge, it's not an uncommon finding.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Thank you for the replies, gentlemen. I'll just have to find time this week to drop the pan. I'd hate myself if I caused (more) damage by messing around with kerosene and oil changes...

Posted on: 2014/4/6 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Hope this isn't too late, but don't run straight kerosene in the crankcase. The oil pump is down there and won't be enough viscosity for the gear pump and the bearings. You'll injure it. Could just be a clogged or loose wire on oil pressure gauge. OK to clean/flush out with kero but I don't recommend 100% with the motor running. Mystery oil or some other oil might be OK. A little bit of kerosene with oil was recommended in cold weather only. I think it calls for like 30 W ND, so Rotella is too viscous for that motor and pump, it's what we use in the diesels. Could be starving the pickup. Has emulsifiers for carbon which you don't need.

Posted on: 2014/4/9 19:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Jim, thanks for the reply - no, it's not too late. I plan on (try to find the time to) drop the pan today.

Tomorrow is the "10th Annual Spring Dust-Off" hosted by the Virginia Chevy Lovers, open to all cars over 25y/o. I had hoped to take the Packard down as it's only about 5 miles from the house, but that's in jeopardy now. Oh well. Anyone else in the Hampton Roads area plan on attending?

Posted on: 2014/4/11 6:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
OK Gents, I ran into another issue. A couple of days ago I set out to drop the pan. After scraping crud for about half an hour, with no end in sight, I decided I'd wait until today, and pull it out of the garage and pressure wash the under side. I spent a few hours with the pressure washer today, and came across this. The lower suspension arm mount bolts are way loose. What I am hoping some can shed light on is this: the nut still has the cotter pin in it, so it couldn't have backed off! Both bolts on this mount are loose to the touch, but the one in the picture has about a quarter inch of play. How could this happen?!? Was there a washer in there at some point that disintegrated? Is this common? This was previously caked with grease and dirt...

Attach file:

jpg  (85.42 KB)
19454_534888dd7e7cc.jpg 1280X834 px

Posted on: 2014/4/11 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
OK, is there anything more than 10 bolts holding the clutch cover on???

Posted on: 2014/4/12 12:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what you are calling clutch cover but maybe what Packard called the lower flywheel cover? If so, it is held on by ten 5/16 bolts of various lengths and if OD, maybe one or two 1/2" bolts coming in from the back as part of transmission attachment. There should be a 3/8 locator dowel in the flat flange area on each side. You might have to raise the rear of trans slightly to take weight off the bottom cover and then use a wedge between halves to GENTLY persuade the dowels to cooperate. It does have to come down very level or evenly because of the dowels.

On your suspension question, can't quite get enough reference landmarks from the photo to determine which bolt you mean. Could you correlate to a part or group number in this drawing so the general area is known.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.82 KB)
209_534988255e884.jpg 682X542 px

Posted on: 2014/4/12 13:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Thank you for the reply, Howard. I missed the two 1/2 bolts coming in from the back amongst the nasty layer of build-up. Glad I stopped when I did, before I broke something. I've searched through the manuals and hadn't found that tidbit.

The bolt in the picture secures 15.5036 to the frame, specically passenger side front, inner.

Posted on: 2014/4/12 14:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what I can see in parts manual the 47 uses essentially the same components as yours. Here is what a 47 looks like thru a layer of dust. Bolt should be 7/16-20 x 1 1/2" and layout is the same on all holes.

There is a plate on the top side about 1/4" thick. Can't tell if it is removable or fastened to the crossmember. If it is the correct length bolt, then wonder if the plate was removable and left out at some time and is the reason for the slop.

Attach file:

jpg  (124.61 KB)
209_5349a506e3a99.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (65.64 KB)
209_5349a51344843.jpg 1280X666 px

Posted on: 2014/4/12 15:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Mark, there may have been spacers under the fittings, slotted so they can be slipped in by just loosening the nuts. I assume they are for alignment purposes, my '52 had one under all 4 mounts except one that had 2.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.58 KB)
34001_5349af428e2fe.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/4/12 16:25
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved