Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 28 »

Re: Howard's 47 Custom project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
What type of finsih did you apply to the "X" bracing behind the rear seat and the shelf where the Evaporator will mount in the trunk?

It's Herculiner. I'm using the EZ Cool foil/foam core insulation which is supposed to be sound absorbent as well as a heat insulator. Wanted something more to cover the floor and clean it up at the same time. Others had used the Herculiner so thought I'd give it a try. Combo is probably not as good as getting Dynamat but better than what was there and cheaper.

The X pieces and shelf from the trunk side won't be seen after the cardboard front cover and trunk liner is installed. They could have just been painted but there was enough Herculiner left over after the floor that I had to use it somewhere or throw it away.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 12:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not a lot accomplished since the last post. Took the radiator and gas tank in for a check and clean. Both in good condition so that was a pleasant surprise.

Now that the dash is refinished and somewhat more presentable, dug the glovebox out of storage in preparation for making a new one. Found some interesting scribbles on the old box. Am assuming it was original but not 100% sure. Anyway, if it is it might be option codes -- the OD lettering might be self explanatory and think it might be EMC at the left. H might be heater and RV maybe radio/vac antenna. Not sure on the numbers. At any rate, the new box turned out well. Flocked both it and the glove box door with the nylon feather brown shade from FlockIt. To my thinking it might be just a tad darker than the original but am perfectly satisfied with the outcome.

Played around some more with the AC. Decided to put to rest whether a 6v motor would fit and be better than running the 12v motor on 6v. The motor chosen was a universal heater motor. This one came from C&G Early Ford & is a permanent magnet motor so will be polarity dependent. Results are even though it is a slightly smaller motor than the stock AC offering, it does provide about a third more air output. Not quite as much as the original motor on 12v but enough more than running the original on 6v to make it worthwhile. As mentioned, it is just slightly less diameter than the original but fits in the Hurricane unit nicely. No mods to the unit other than to build up the diameter in order to use the side supports properly. That was not a big deal. Whether it would fit in a VintageAir unit is unknown. It WILL NOT work with any 12v unit having electronic controls. I do have some ideas on how to make it work a typical hang on dual shaft setup but would take some experimenting. I won't go to the expense of doing it but if anyone wants to try I will gladly share some thoughts. One downside I did run into is the motor shaft is longer so shaft did have to be shortened 3/8 inch to fit inside the housing. Used a Dremel cut off wheel and it trimmed just fine. The motor has a 1/4" shaft but came with a slip on adapter to enable the use of the stock 5/16 diameter blower wheel hubs. All in all it took about an hour to change and modify the motor and the results are positive.

Electrical did have to be changed slightly. The original motor is the typical modern 3 speed with a separate wire selecting a portion of the winding for each speed. The universal motor is a two wire single speed which utilizes a resistor or rheostat to drop the RPMs. In order to use the stock loom as is I elected to add a resistor bank at the unit and power that with the original switch and wiring. Each speed from the switch now feeds either the full voltage or 2 different value resistors. The output of those resistors or the base voltage goes to the motor to enable the same 3 speeds. The resistor is a regular Napa 12v unit but seems to work nicely. It does need to mount in the air flow for cooling but there was a convenient spot right at the blower output so that went in with no difficulty.

Ignore the looks as we're still in the mockup stage for the entire unit and awaiting the false cover to finalize some of the locations. As to the motor, I've had it running on the bench all day and so far no difficulties. All in all, a worthwhile experiment.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.93 KB)
209_529277669a74e.jpg 640X335 px

jpg  (19.01 KB)
209_5292778091de9.jpg 640X310 px

jpg  (14.29 KB)
209_52927792eb577.jpg 640X366 px

jpg  (24.19 KB)
209_5292779d1cd09.jpg 416X640 px

jpg  (31.86 KB)
209_529277a979d4b.jpg 563X640 px

jpg  (35.66 KB)
209_529277cd28cd3.jpg 640X579 px

jpg  (22.14 KB)
209_52927a111944f.jpg 640X262 px

Posted on: 2013/11/24 17:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not much to report other than mostly small indoor things started or completed. Had the gas tank cleaned and checked out so all good there. Radiator also checked good. Dash is completed and waiting for the glass and interior to be farther along.

On upholstery, JW convinced me since it was a Custom that I might as well dust off the crowbar and pry enough out of the wallet to get good grade wool. He's undoubtedly right since I would be one to later regret skimping. Have looked at several samples all claiming to be wool broadcloth. Prices ranging from $54 to almost $100 per yard. Almost paper thin to thick and luxurious. SMS has one for $85 that they have made for them. Good color and it feels softer and I think is a bit thicker than the original so will probably choose it. Upholster says around 20 yards but to "be sure and get a few yards extra for contingencies". Ouch. Those contingencies cost.

The headliner from Kanter arrived. First one that showed up was the wrong item -- cross instead of longitudinal seams. The upholstery shop goofed but Kanter took care of that and the correct one arrived 2 days later. Still waiting on a call tag to ship the first one back. Definitely a harder fabric than the wool but it looks good and the Taupe color is an excellent match to the tan. It will do because cutting a hole in an expensive wool headliner for a maybe successful AC vent that didn't turn out well would ruin my day. Got windlace from Rest Specialties. Sand color looked closest to what I think the original was. I do believe the new at 1/2" core might be a tad thicker. Hard to tell because my old was petrified or had turned to powder.

Speaking of AC, have been in contact with the fellow making the prewar style false front trunk enclosure for me. It is being made so progress on that front. Should be here in January sometime.

Even though it was done back when engine was rebuilt, will do the fuel pump again using new fresh rubber. Then and Now's kit arrived last week. No word from Daytona on carb yet. It's about midway in their 7-8 week time estimate for that work so hope to hear something after the holidays. Just as well as the poor old engine would not want to work in the cold any more than I -- and we have it good compared to you guys who are getting the snow.

Removed the old door glass and took the vent window frames and the vertical runners to the chrome shop. $420 for 4 vents and 4 verticals. Been so long since I had chrome done, not sure if that price is good or bad. Moot point if I want it done in town. We only have two places left that would do it so I chose the one closest to me and smiled when he quoted. Have to order new glass so will probably go with the ebay store of "Bob's Classic Glass". They seem to have good feedback and have patterns for the car. The more local guy in Placerville doesn't list the regular sedan -- just the club and limo. Anyone used Bobs? On the glass, the vent windows had some filler material. Anyone know if that is actual formed rubber glass channel or strips of rubber glass setting tape. Packard just calls it rubber cushion. The stuff was petrified on mine so actual shape and composition is anyones guess.

Still have to deal with the rust in trunk but that will wait until I learn how to weld better or find someone to do it but definitely not until it is warmer outside.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 15:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard - I don't think it took much convincing from me for you to go with the better material. Like we discussed, the interiors of these Customs are such an important feature and in my mind make the car along with the 356 engine.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/12/16 16:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Progress! The carb just got back from Daytona and right on schedule. Looks great compared to how it was sent to them. Nicely wrapped and packaged for the return. Every piece on it appears to have been replated, repainted or polished.

Looks so good I might just place it on the mantle to admire from afar but more likely one of these days I will get around to reinstalling and actually trying to start the engine. If engine starts and carb works as well as it looks, it will be a very good day.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.70 KB)
209_52c73f4821120.jpg 567X640 px

jpg  (35.16 KB)
209_52c73f50ec0a6.jpg 640X615 px

Posted on: 2014/1/3 17:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Contingencie$

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Beautiful!

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, a person who used to post here had his rebuilt Detroit Lubricator carburetor on the mantle. Like a piece of art.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/1/4 13:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
That carby looks so good and totally new. I'm wishing I'd had mine done the same, plated and all.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 18:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Window chrome is back and looks great. Rubber is here, glass is supposed to arrive next week so just waiting on Rest Specialties for the channels before I can put things back together.

The snow must be building deep in Windber PA or else the post office is really backed up. When I checked order status yesterday they said the order only arrived on the 6th - a full 3 wks after it was mailed.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.66 KB)
209_52cf3aab7422b.jpg 640X422 px

Posted on: 2014/1/9 19:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved