Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

Jack Vines, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 »

Re: GearRat's '52
Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
I enjoy GearRat's adventures___

i have had some of similiar with my 52 200 dlx... but i have power brakes and Ultamatic... so other dramas have unfolded.

thanks my Texas Packard compadre

Posted on: 2014/8/11 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hello Packardinfo-ers!!!

Boy, I sure do miss this community. I've let myself get too caught up in other things to the point that I have neglected my own car and spent too much time away from this site! Hope everyone is well and out there wrenching on something...

Question: I am planning on sanding the exterior of my car down to where she is smooth so I can apply a layer of linseed oil to her. I was wondering if any of these paints contain Lead? The original color was Yosemite Blue Poly and was later repainted a "light blue" with a terracotta primer, sometime between '52 and '72.

Thanks,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2014/10/7 18:20
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
GearRat! Glad you are back! You have one of my favorite blogs. I cannot tell you if there is lead in the paint or not, but I applaud you taking safety seriously. Get yourself a half mask respirator and n100 hepa filters and you will be protected if there is lead in it. You need eye protection as well. Try to use unvented goggles if you can find them, or indirect vent. Anti-fog would be ideal. If you cannot find it, PM me and I will try to help. As far as disposal of your sanded paint, that I cannot help with.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 19:19
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i'm probably wrong, but i'm pretty sure only house paint was lead based.

when you put on the linseed oil...if you are not going to clear over it....i'd suggest a towel and rub it on, a very linen free one. very light and let it soak into the metal.

if you spray it on...it will take weeks to cure up and will stay sticky for a bit and i'm assuming your car stays outside...which would lead to trash all in it.

also if you use the stuff from lowes/homedepot its not 100% pure linseed oil, but its way cheaper and will probably work fine and go on much thinner. this is the stuff the usual suspects use...like the VW crowd, etc.

I think I used an orbital sander with like 500 grit or something and it took off all the grime and surface rust just fine.

good luck and I hope it turns out like you want.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 21:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Howdy Gear-Rat,

You will want to be using raw organic linseed oil. It is available from Viking Sales in Victor,NY. The raw is easier to use than the boiled as it hasn't been "cooked down"(for want of a better explanation)and is easier to apply with spray gun like Hank did. I am sure Hank can fill you in on his techniques and findings.

The Allback raw organic linseed oil is the pure quill, no additives of any sort. But be very careful of rags you have used with the linseed oil, put in bucket of water. Possibility of spontaneous combustion.

Please feel free to PM me if you need other info or contact info for Viking.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 21:18
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

I went and bought a respirator that is recommended for use with lead based paints, just to be on the safe side. I'm really looking forward to how she comes out in the end.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 22:48
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Just a photo update of the progress. I'm about 3/4 of the way done applying the linseed oil. Like Mr. Hank, I certainly prefer doing mechanics over this sanding and finishing work. So far I am pleased with how she is coming out.

Cheers!

Attach file:

jpg  (69.70 KB)
3628_544069b33b23c.jpg 1000X730 px

jpg  (78.98 KB)
3628_544069c15b091.jpg 1000X717 px

jpg  (84.84 KB)
3628_544069cbc4dbc.jpg 1000X767 px

jpg  (98.21 KB)
3628_544069d727065.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2014/10/16 19:59
Garrett

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Now thats what I'm talking bout! Great job!

Posted on: 2014/10/16 22:00
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Very cool! That patina is priceless.

Posted on: 2014/10/17 9:55
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You guys gotta get those cars to Salado and park them side by side. What a show that would be!

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/17 11:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved