Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 184

Darrin180, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 197 198 199 (200) 201 202 203 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
So the 1956 transmission has the same bolt pattern as the '54 Gearstart? I have a Gearstart for my '54 Patrician but it needs a thorough rebuild so if a newer unit will fit, it's all the better. Somewhere I even have the indicator for the different shift pattern.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 2:43
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
According to Ross, which I am basing this transplant on, the converter-to-flywheel bolt pattern is the same between the S8's and the V8's. So, if you already have a GearStart, then you can swap the GS bellhousing and the GS oil pan on the 55/56 trans body, and get a 55/56 tranny to bolt up using the 55/56 converter as well.

Obviously, the internal shift characteristics are not tuned for straight eight, so some valving adjustments may be needed.

If your car doesn't already have a GearStart, then youll need more parts as I believe the kick down linkage, actual engine throttle linkage, neutral safety switch, shift quadrant and other parts are unique to the GearStart as opposed to the regular ultras on the straight eight. If you look in the parts manual, you'll see many parts listed for the GearStart that are different.

The GearStart is "basically" a 55 Twin Ultra prototype with an S8 bellhousing, as such, you'll notice that you have to refer to the 55/56 service manual when working on it, as it is not covered in the 51-54 manual.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 11:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Aside from swapping the bellhousing, be sure to have the complete trans unit with correct converter for the trans you are using. Input shaft splines are different so 55 and 56 converters will not interchange.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 11:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Good point Howard!

Posted on: 2016/2/15 13:59
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Good to know. I have the complete Gearstart assembly including the column linkages, plastic indicator and, of course, the transmission so it seems a better way for me to go, presuming it's even rebuildable. For you, I am anxious to see how it fares with the '56 Twin-Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 14:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JMO but if I had a '54 that I wanted to use as a reliable tour car and driver with a year-correct Ultramatic I'd pick the conventional Ultramatic over the Gear-Start in a heartbeat.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 14:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For what it's worth, I drove several Ultramatic Packards as every-day cars for years but to compete with modern traffic, I had to manually shift to low range from a stop. Otherwise it was very sluggish although at speed it was fine with so much power you would be pressed into the seat if you hit the pedal hard at highway speeds. I read somewhere that starting in low range isn't recommended but without doing so, even my 212hp 359cid Patrician couldn't keep up! No point in an automatic if you still have to shift for regular driving and the Gearstart seems a way to overcome it, short of installing one of the other make conversions. Of course, to get the most from it you may also need the appropriate ratio rear end.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 17:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don, I drove my '54 Patrician back and forth daily to work for over a decade; surely it's no bolt of lightening off the line in "H" and you have to pick your spots when accelerating onto an expressway or the like, but it certainly wasn't necessary to use low range to do so. But my choice of the regular Ultramatic for touring would be based on durability. Regular Ultramatic behind the in-line 8s could be expected to have a service life about equal to that of the engine, can't say the same for the Gear-Start.

Though I'm generally a purist I find BigKev's plan interesting and will be most interested in hearing how it comes out. By '56 the Twin was about as good as it ever could be, given it's inherent limitations, certainly much improved over the Gear Start or even the 55 Twin.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 18:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My hope is that the '56 Ultra, would be very durable behind the S8, as nowhere the amount of HP/Torque as a V8.

That being said, I've run my GS on the converter only for years, and while not a speed demon, I never had a problem getting on a freeway or up to speed.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 20:38
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Did you ever calculate what RPM you're turning at highway speeds running on the converter like that? And the follow up question, what RPM is the upper limit for these engines? I've been wondering how hard I can push my car and not start having parts start swapping holes.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 20:52
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 197 198 199 (200) 201 202 203 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved