Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 213

cooldude980, JohnCB, 2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Repairing Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Hmmm...I've never had trouble filling from the access panel. I use a large funnel and pour slowly. I lift the end of the funnel off of the hole so some air gets in and it flows better.

My Ultramatic problem is that the metal plates that go from the band to the servo keep falling off. Right now, I only get high gear and reverse. My car has been sitting so long in a dirt rut that the car doesn't have enough power to pull itself out so I can jack it up! Grrrrr!

Posted on: 2009/9/29 19:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
At some point a mod was made to the band. Don't know if it was official as I can't remember any documentation but have seen several this way so maybe late change or a vendor??

The band was drilled for a 1/16 roll pin at each strut. Location is about center and where lining covers the hole on the inside. Appears pin is staked as well. The struts have about a 3/16 hole almost to the edge but just enough to allow the roll pin to capture strut yet still allow strut to move freely. The modified and unmodified bands are shown.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.32 KB)
209_4ac2a78d3384d.jpg 640X552 px

Posted on: 2009/9/29 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I was thinking of trying to attach it somehow. I think I saw somewhere that the '52 bands had the plates attached. I'm not sure how I could attach them without tearing the transmission apart and taking the bands out. What frustrates me is that my tranny was supposed to have been rebuilt and I haven't read about others complaining about this. Obviously there must be some out there if this mod was made...Thanks for the post. Very interesting!

Posted on: 2009/9/29 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
After posting the above, I was determined to post the pics I saw of the bands and of course, I cannot find where I saw it! I might be or just misunderstood what I saw. The manual doesn't show a difference, but I thought I saw it on a site selling parts...maybe that was a modified band I saw...

Posted on: 2009/9/29 20:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Finally found where I saw the bands at. They are on ebay athttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-1956-Packard-Ultramatic-Relined-Band-new_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ca61dc37fQQitemZ260485006207QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories They claim theirs came out of a '54 but didn't specify if the attached plates were stock or modified.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 23:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Cortcomp seems to be describing exactly my problem. The big leak happened after I brought the car home from the transmission shop and it sat for a few days. There was a big puddle under the car. Then I drove it and no more big leaks while sitting. Maybe the shop overfilled it.

Now it runs like "crap" same as Cortcomp said his did. The transmission will not release when coming to a stop, and the engine stalls. It feels the same as a stick shift car when you do not push in the clutch coming to a stop. The idle speed seems fine. Is this a lock-up clutch remaining locked?

Are there any other suggestions? I priced out a full overhaul and it is >$4000 depending on what it needs. Wow!

Posted on: 2009/10/6 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Fred, All may not be lost. Your misbehaving Ultramatic sounds like it has a sticking governor. As I recall, they are sensitive to small dirt particles. I believe the governor is accessible without having to remove the transmission from the car. It is under a bulging, round-like stamped steel housing that is attached to the rear of the case with a few small cap screws. Good luck.

Edit: Why is this thread in the For Sale section? Should not it be in the Post War section? Kevin???

Posted on: 2009/10/6 16:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

JEW
See User information
I have a problem with reverse. The car pulls good in high, feels like it slips in low, and feels like the brake is on in reverse. It will pull a little but not at all on a grade. I have needed to get a push several times.

I also have a problem with the car staying in high gear when I come to a stop.

It's a 53 Cavalier.

Posted on: 2009/10/6 17:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
51 Packard: They started attaching the band struts to the bands with the advent of the Gear Start in mid 54. The bands and struts can be substituted early for late and late for early with no probs. The ones with the separate struts are a pain to assemble, as you know, but should never fall out once installed. I am sure that your bands are not adjusted properly or that the little rollpin that keeps the struts from slipping side to side is missing.

Get your struts back into position (making sure the rollpins are there) and bolt the valve body back up into place as per the manual. There is an adjusting screw for each band that sticks out the side of the case with a big ol' locknut on it. Back off the locknut a bit and hold it still while you turn the adjusting screw in. This should go in about a couple of turns at least till it begins to get stiff as it tightens the band. Turn it in to 20 ft lb (or a two finger pull on the end of the wrench), then back it off 1 3/4 turns and lock it with the locknut. Do this for both bands. With a thin screwdriver you should be able to reach around the valve body and actually work the little levers that tighten the bands as a final check. That should be the end of band struts falling out. Its not a fun job on your back but it ccan be done.

Posted on: 2009/10/6 22:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:

Edit: Why is this thread in the For Sale section? Should not it be in the Post War section? Kevin???

Agreed...moved.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 15:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved