Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 25 »

Re: Mal's '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe that the smaller ones were Clipper and I've seen them on prewar Clippers but not sure about '46 and '47. There were actually at least three different ones for '48-'50, two with the same outside appearance and size but with different recesses to the back so we're not interchangeable even though they looked the same. There was a third that would interchange with one of those but it had the cloisonn? emblem. Looking at them from the side, one type had the flange recessed while the other had it more of less flush with the outer rim of the cover.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 0:58

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thanks Don, that makes sense because the guy the hubcaps came from also had a 46/47 Clipper(I'm not up on any differences, so that's as close as I can get). Also looks like the Hubcap Guide is not infallible.

"Looking at them from the side, one type had the flange recessed while the other had it more of less flush with the outer rim of the cover."

Will have to inspect both caps tomorrow but I suspect they'll be much the same because they both fitted the wheel.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 1:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You're welcome and wish I could recall the specifics. I looked at those for sale in the Classified Ads of my own site below to see if I had specified when I listed them but I didn't other than to say that they fit 2201, 2202, 2211, 2222, some 2232, 2301 and 2302 along with all the Henney professional coaches from '48 to '54.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Don is right.
The small ones were used on the base model 6 & 8 cylinder Clippers from 1942 to 1947 as well as for the 2201 and 2220-40 in 1948.
Part number 379587.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 1:39

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

Thanks for the confirmation and specifics.

Posted on: 2018/9/7 1:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 11th September, 2018

Finally catching up with the events of the last few days.

Friday - Dug out the 4 wheels and tyres originally off the '41 Coupe and checked their pressures. 3 were right down, they'd only been sitting for about 10 years, while the other, used as a spare in the Coupe, was good at 32psi. Off to the service station and pumped up the 3. Checked them again that night and also the next morning and night, all still at 32psi.

Saturday - In preparation for tomorrow loaded up the daily driver with the 4 wheels and tyres. Also tools, including a bush saw and clippers to remove some scrub from in front of the shed the '48 Limo chassis's been stored in, ropes, chains, kitchen sink, etc, etc.

Sunday - Up early and at about 5:45am drove about 85kms to Goulburn where I picked up RobertS's Holden Colarado 4wd Ute. Then 100kms in the Ute to PeterPackards at Canberra. Then a few kms to where the car trailer was garaged and Peter stores "some" of his Packards and a few other things. There, besides hitching it to the Ute and determining all lights were functioning, received instruction on:
- Use and operation of the electric winch
- Use and operation of the trailer ramps
- Use and operation of the wheel hold down system
Peter also advised that it is a UFI policy trailer. I didn't know what a UFI policy trailer was but Peter gladly explained it means - You F_ _k it, You Fix it! True enlightenment, very descriptive, point taken and the lead foot very much lightened for the trip ahead.
Then off to pick up the keys for the shed, about 21kms across Canberra. Keys in hand and trailer in tow another 216kms mostly along the Kings Hwy(Yes, that's its name) to Bodalla where I met up with son-in-law Nick and 5 y.o. grandson Oliver who had agreed to give me a hand in loading and unloading the chassis. Then another 20kms into the hinterland, with half being along dirt roads, and where I missed a turn off necessitating another 5kms before finding a spot wide enough to turn the Ute and trailer around. Did I not tell you my previous trailer towing days were about 50 years ago?

Finally arriving at the property you're confronted by a steep dirt drive for which 4wd was engaged to make the ascent. Opened up the side door to the shed then found one of the two roller doors, the one in front of the Holden bodied '37 La Salle was unlocked while the one in front of the Packard chassis required some "gentle persuasion" before it too could be opened.

While Nick set to work clearing the scrub from in front of the Packards door I set about jacking up the right front of the chassis in order to mount a wheel on that corner. And what do you know? Despite my nervousness, although I had been advised by numerous well qualified and experienced Packard people here that they would, they DID fit. I was greatly relieved. If they hadn't fitted, the chassis would have remained where it was for the foreseeable future. Jacking didn't go entirely to plan because the first jack ran out of travel about 1" before it was required. Fortunately the back up jack, a mechanical one that came with my first car, a Model A Ford in 1965, worked perfectly but required more muscle. Then along with Nick's help changed the other three flat tyres and wheels. While Nick and I were doing this Oliver was investigating a couple of termite mounds on the property, first with a stick, then with a hammer I put down. One of the mounds was uninhabited while the other contained a colony which was somewhat upset but I think mainly confused. There was no "Attack of the Killer Termites" because of a 5 year olds boredom and curiosity getting the better of him.

Once the chassis, now living up to the name of a "rolling chassis" was mobile it was pushed out into the sunlight for the first time in about 25 years. Because the chassis had been front end first into the garage, considerable effort was required to slowly turn it around in a confined space. Then the trailer was likewise manually turned around, helped by a length 4" x 2" hardwood which Peter had provided and also given instruction in. The Ute was then rehitched with the trailer, the winch mounted and winch cable drawn out. The chassis, with Nick steering and Oliver atop the engine, was then slowly winched aboard the trailer. It's great when you have the right equipment.

With the front tyres strapped and the rear end chained down the Ute descended the drive, still in 4wd, and made it's way back to Bodalla followed by Nick and Oliver, this time without managing to "get lost". At Bodalla re-checked the load then it was off home to Bowral a mere 228kms distant. Arrived home about 8:30pm, with Nick arriving shortly thereafter, after having dropped off Oliver who fallen asleep on the way.

Fortunately for me Nick, being a volunteeer with his local Bush Fire Brigade(Rural Fire Service) his expertise came in handy being able to back the ute and trailer down my driveway to enable the chassis to be carefully unloaded, This time, a slope and gravity contributed to the unloading equation. Once off the trailer it was then easy to push the chassis front first into the garage. Where it still sits! Still contemplating whether I should dismantle it for spares or try on-selling the complete unit or as parts?

Monday - Needed to return the trailer to Peter and the Ute to Robert. But first, not likely to have another opportunity like this again, enlisted the Ute and trailer in disposing of some surplus timber. This timber was from a pergola which had been dismantled, in order that the garage could be constructed, about 3&1/2 years ago. Good timber with one piece being 6 metres long, two pieces being 4 metres long and lots of 2 and 3 metre lengths. Loaded the shorter pieces into the bed of the Ute while the longer lengths were tied down on the trailer. Only a small detour was required, to get to the Resources Recovery Centre at Moss Vale to unload the timber. Probably won't be rebuilt as a pergola but at least I've made a small contribution to recycling. Then off to Canberra and Peter, who surprised me by arriving in his "Hot Rod" Packard. This is a 1938 TJ Richards bodied Eight with a 327 overbored by 0.060", comp ratio of 8.75:1 and overdrive. With this combination Peter has had the Hot Rod up to 190kmh(almost 120mph). Under controlled conditions of course. Peter backed the trailer in, I wonder why, then reality in the form of the UFI policy kicked in. The BEARING BUDDIES on the right side trailer wheels were missing. Don't remember any incident where they might have come to grief but still I was up for their replacement. The only real blemish on an otherwise good road trip.

Finally returned the Ute to Robert, picked up the daily driver and returned home.

Sorry that photos are scarce, took the camera along, but apart from one of the Ute and trailer at a pit stop along the way and some others of the Hot Rod didn't take any others on either day. But Nick did, with his phone although they are happy snaps, and will post them once they are received.

Attach file:

jpg  (277.84 KB)
226_5b97575fa80a4.jpg 1920X876 px

jpg  (223.76 KB)
226_5b9757bbad87f.jpg 1920X864 px

jpg  (315.56 KB)
226_5b9758321ea08.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (179.32 KB)
226_5b975868d4624.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (457.85 KB)
226_5b97589fc2d89.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (410.33 KB)
226_5b9758ed741e8.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (220.16 KB)
226_5b97591d8789c.jpg 1920X1020 px

jpg  (209.32 KB)
226_5b9759c1dbe65.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (265.84 KB)
226_5b9759cee853d.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (231.67 KB)
226_5b9759dbf2fd6.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/9/11 1:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Mal, If you blow up the pic of the trailer, you can actually see the shine of the Buddies. PT

Posted on: 2018/9/11 7:43
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
What are buddies? Ute isn't a term used here either but I know what it is and even saw a new Holden Ute recently which at first I mistook as a customized Jaguar. Apparently a very limited number of the Holden Ute were sold in the U.S. but that was the only one I ever saw.

Posted on: 2018/9/11 11:31

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Peter Packard wrote: Hello Mal, If you blow up the pic of the trailer, you can actually see the shine of the Buddies. PT

Peter,

Yes, see them clearly, but have no idea what happened to knock them off the brake drums.

As they say in the classics "the cheque(check) is in the mail".

Posted on: 2018/9/11 15:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
PackardDon wrote: What are buddies?...

Don,

This link will explain- BEARING BUDDIES.

Just looked at the link, doesn't explain, just pictures and sizes. So what they are, are positive lubrication devices for trailer axle bearings. The "buddy" takes the place of a grease cap, being inserted into the end of the axle hub. It contains a grease nipple in the middle and a squirt of grease fills the void between the back edge of the "buddy" and the bearing. There's also a spring which imparts pressure against the "buddy" to keep the grease up to the wheel bearing.
Clear as mud?

Posted on: 2018/9/11 15:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 25 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved