Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 129

bkazmer, DavidM, Trevor, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 294 295 296 (297) 298 299 300 ... 500 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

That's an attractive 'bitsa', though LeBaron, in its original custom coachbuilder form, rolls over in its grave every time it get 'credited' with one of these.

The body and hood are from the four passenger Sport Model 224 from First through Third Series Sixes and Model 246 as First and Second Series Eights. That factory body was lower and narrower, close-coupled, have rear doors hinged at the front. It would be more desirable mounted on its original chassis as those Sport Models are very rare.

The headlights are '31-'32 Chrysler Imperial units, the fenders: rear perhaps 12th-17th clam-shelled to together to make pontoons, the front maybe 12th-15th Series around the wheelhouse, severely bobbed. Radiator shell looks to be 9th-10th Series chopped to fit the hood height. How they came up with the face trim is someone else's guess.

As desirable as a '30 745 chassis is and have been frequently re-bodied, this version might well come in for that given the rare, Sport Model body it has for an earlier Eight restoration. If anyone follows its auction, I'd be interest to learn what it sells for.

Steve

Might as well add a CL Pick:
A '46 Custom Super LWB, with '48 327, O/D, California transplant:
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/for-sale-1946-packard-custom/6344503560.html

Attach file:

jpg  (97.37 KB)
409_5a09a74ab8d7e.jpg 1000X666 px

Posted on: 2017/11/13 9:08
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Would the 1946 have originally been powered with a 356 engine?? John

Posted on: 2017/11/13 9:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Would the 1946 have originally been powered with a 356 engine?? John

Yes.

Posted on: 2017/11/13 9:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Won't the 327 engine take away from it being a full classic?

Posted on: 2017/11/13 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

58L8134 wrote:
Hi

That's an attractive 'bitsa', though LeBaron, in its original custom coachbuilder form, rolls over in its grave every time it get 'credited' with one of these.

The body and hood are from the four passenger Sport Model 224 from First through Third Series Sixes and Model 246 as First and Second Series Eights. That factory body was lower and narrower, close-coupled, have rear doors hinged at the front. It would be more desirable mounted on its original chassis as those Sport Models are very rare.

The headlights are '31-'32 Chrysler Imperial units, the fenders: rear perhaps 12th-17th clam-shelled to together to make pontoons, the front maybe 12th-15th Series around the wheelhouse, severely bobbed. Radiator shell looks to be 9th-10th Series chopped to fit the hood height. How they came up with the face trim is someone else's guess.

As desirable as a '30 745 chassis is and have been frequently re-bodied, this version might well come in for that given the rare, Sport Model body it has for an earlier Eight restoration. If anyone follows its auction, I'd be interest to learn what it sells for.

Steve

I love the first tag line: "Believed to be restyled and customized by the LeBaron Body Company in 1932 to bid for Packard custom bodied cars"

As if LeBaron needed to build a whole car to "bid" for work from Packard.

Also, it says it has a 142" wheelbase. That's half way between a Model 740 and 745. Better get the tape measure out again.

Posted on: 2017/11/14 8:48
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Also, it says it has a 142" wheelbase. That's half way between a Model 740 and 745. Better get the tape measure out again.

West, since parts of this creation appear to be post 7th Series, perhaps it was built on a 9th, 10th or 11th Series 142" wheelbase chassis.

Posted on: 2017/11/14 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Understood. I was basically replying/commenting on the statement above that said it was built upon a 745 chassis.

Posted on: 2017/11/14 9:32
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Someone knowledgeable needs to determine where all the components came from to create this 'bitsa".

LeBaron certainly didn't have to bid to create whole cars for Packard. Nor would they have recycled a six to eight year old body to do so. Auction promotion writers have an active imagination.

The 236 Sport Model photo is currently owned by Roy Morganeu.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/11/14 9:39
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
1930 sedan. Nice looking car but why do you guys put a Tommy gun in the backseat? Packard owners were no gun wielding thugs in the 30's (except for buggsy Siegel and al capone but I don't think you want to be associated with those type of guys).

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/d/1930-parkard-726-4dr-club/6387447332.html

Posted on: 2017/11/15 8:02
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Very nice first year clipper but is an all original clipper worth $100k?
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/packard/clipper/2032846.html?refer=alert

Posted on: 2017/11/15 9:16
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 294 295 296 (297) 298 299 300 ... 500 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved