Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 239

Packard Don, BigKev, Ozstatman, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: 1956 Caribbean hardtop options on a Four Hundred
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks guys!

HH56: Thanks for the instructions to post pics. It worked.

Owen Dyneto: you were right, of course. The number starts with a D, which I confused with a 0, and would still do so probably if I wasn't told it is supposed to be a D.

So, my car is really D06884

After all my questions, conclussion is: The car will remain as is, proudly sporting it's Caribbean hood. Theoretically, it came with the car, together with the dual quads and the wire wheels, but only if I ever find the build sheet I guess I will be able to proove it.

Thanks!
Victor

Attach file:

jpg  (114.04 KB)
1141_56f4351731a07.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (61.79 KB)
1141_56f435391d7e3.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2016/3/24 13:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Almost certainly the changes were done by a dealer (or later) and not at factory.

But in the absence of a build slip no need for any uncertainty, there is a way to determine if (a) it's a bona-fide Caribbean engine (as opposed to a 400 or other engine with dual carbs) and (b) if the engine is original to the car. Crawl under and check the Utica Plant engine code; if it really is a Caribbean engine it will have a Caribbean engine code prefix "C" rather than the "D" for the Patrician/400 engine, "B" for the 5660 engine, or "A" for the 5640 engine.

The Utica Plant code if you're not familiar with it is the engine code assigned when the engine was built, a different prefix letter for each engine series. It's located on the passenger side, far rear just below the cylinder head, and is (barely) visible from beneath the car. If you find a "C" prefix it doesn't necessarily mean the engine came with that car but rather only that it's a bona-fide Caribbean engine. Then if the engine# up front (5687-XXXX) matches the vehicle # that would tell you that it came with that particular car.

Just another note on the Utica Plant engine numbers, a double letter prefix indicates an engine built with a manual transmission, for example AA and BB designate a 5640 and 5660 with standard transmission. There were no CC or DD designations so no factory standard transmissions on these two car lines. And the Utica Plant numbers for the Ultramatic transmissions follows the same pattern, prefix A and B for the two Clipper lines, C for the Caribbean, and D for the 400/Patrician.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 13:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
That white leather was probably the "Phartedon White" (say it aloud) described by Ed Cunningham.

Said out loud, I don't think I like the sound of it, especially considering my name!

Posted on: 2016/3/24 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
it would explain the "off" white color

Posted on: 2016/3/24 15:25
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
For those who do not know the story about Phartedon leather, then you need to read this thread:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9210&forum=4

And for Victor, the original poster: Are you the same Victor that I was introduced to me and my wife by Bruce Blevins when you attended the 2006 PAC National Meet in Detroit? Or was it South Bend in 2007? Anyway, Hola, mi amigo!

Posted on: 2016/3/24 19:27
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Hola, Roger! Yes, it is me... time flies! Good to see you still keep that gorgeous 1941 160 convertible sedan! I will contact you directly.

I enjoyed the "Phartedon white" story. Very funny.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 11:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
56P400, have you yet had a chance to check on the Utica Engine plant # (see post 32)? I'm curious about what you'll find.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Not yet but I will try to do it soon. I need to go check where I have my car parked. I will post findings!

Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/3/25 11:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
I have seen a lot of nice 1955-1956 Packard engine compartments, but I have to say this is one of the nicest I have seen in a long time. As we used to say back in Detroit when I was growing up, "...clean as the board of health!"

I don't know if the paint is original, but that Scottish Heather on the firewall sure is accurate and gleaming beautifully...which is the way original nitro-cellulose lacquer looked when new. Nice.

Anyway, the colors and finishes are accurate... the ground strap is in the right position under the battery holder bracket, the oil-bath air cleaner decals are accurate and in the right positions. Wow. The only thing I see here missing is the anti-short extruded rubber shield over the regulator connections (almost all V-8 Packards I see today are missing this part).

This is one gorgeous 1956 Four Hundred! I had two duplicate sister cars in these colors, one with factory air and wire wheels (long before repops were available). I last saw it in the 1970s in Reseda, California.

As for Caribbean hoods and dual quads, I can assure you that I knew of at least 2 or 3 1956 Four Hundreds running around Southern California in the 1970s. One of them lived in Long Beach. Another lived in very wealthy town of San Marino. My two cars came from San Marino via Pasadena.

Back in the 1970s I was told by a former owner that his car "came that way" and was ordered via Earle C. Anthony dealership. Furthermore, I was also told by a former ECA parts & service man that ECA kept both Caribbean carb set-ups with batwings and factory air kits on-hand at the two main SoCal ECA dealerships. I suspect they also swapped a few hoods.

Of course, there were other Four Hundreds running around with Caribbean hoods on them... and I knew who put the hoods there! One of them is sitting out in the desert today and I'm sure there will one day be stories about it. A lot of years have gone by and folks have short memories.

Anyway, I will also say that many-possibly most or all- postwar Packards delivered CKD/KD to Mexico were distributed via ECA. I know this because the ECA Controller-who I knew and interviewed-told me that they (meaning ECA distributor personnel) had inspected and loaded KD cars on trains to go to Mexico. And you know, EC certainly loved to jazz-up Packards and encouraged buyers to order the unusual! Something to think about in the equation.

On a final note, I remember at least two dark metallic blue 1956 Patricians that had full leather interiors (yes FULL leather) and factory air. One of these turned up many years ago in the 1970s at a PAC National in Illinois. The other was from New Jersey (sadly, I last saw it in a junkyard). While I know the fate of the second car at least as far as the boneyard, I have no idea what happened to the other car-which as I recall belonged to a Chicago stockbroker.

Anyway... info offered for what it's worth....

Oh... and yes there is a partial shot of Ed Macauley's specially painted/specially colored Caribbean-ized Four Hundred in the upcoming Creative Industries book!

Posted on: 2016/3/25 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks, Leeedy! Quite an interesting answer! And thank you very much for your kind comments on my car.

The car was a good one to start with, but I did all of the engine bay area again, but kept the rest mostly as it was. In fact, I got a lot of help from the forum:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5945&viewmode=compact&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=230

Perhaps all of the finishes are not all right. The paint may be lighter that the original. But that will have to remain as is now.

I am aware of "the anti-short extruded rubber shield over the regulator connections"... I just need to find it. Would you know of a source for that?

I didn't know that the cars that came in CKD or KD form to Mexico were sent via Earl C. Anthony. I would have guessed they were shipped directly from Detroit.

I didn't know either on the upcoming Creative Industries book. It will surely be in my wish list!

Thanks again!
victor

Posted on: 2016/3/25 16:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved