Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 188

DM37, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Where's The Stop Light Switch On My 56 Executive?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
My experience with the use of the two-prong switch in various applications and the use silicon fluid has resulted in a disproportionate number of failed switches. They include original Fomoco switches and SL-134 switches in various brand replacements. I have never had one of these switches leak, just fail to operate electrically.

This is such a problem that friends and I have replaced these on sundry cars while on tour with great regularity (take out old switch thread in new one, just slightly depress brake pedal, tighten as a little fluid oozes out). Most of the folks I chum around with including myself have abandoned conversion to DOT 5 because there seems to be no real advantage if one changes brake fluid as part of PM and just creates this irritating switch issue.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 11:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My own experience with my 56 Carib is that I just replaced my first brake light switch, the symptom was the brake lights tended to stay on after the brakes were released. The switch I removed had been in the car for the 13 years I've owned it and who knows how long before that. Brake fluid has always been "conventional". The reason I bought the PI kit was that I now only have one more NOS FC-22052 left in stock and thought I should look ahead.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 12:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The relay kit is a nice convenient way to go for those not so mechanically inclined and does serve a purpose as well as a source of revenue to the regions that provide it. For that reason alone, I won't knock the idea too much.

To my thinking, it is such a simple circuit though that for a few dollars worth of electrical parts, a brake switch, and some time it sort of makes the $33 or $41 a bit hard to justify for essentially a mounting strap and piece of wire loom. For that kind of money you can do the full mechanical GM type setup which in my experience has also been very satisfactory.

I just recently purchased some relays and sockets from Parts Express thru Amazon.com. These are the standard way overkill for this purpose 30amp cube type mentioned in several threads. The cheaper relay was 1.98 for a Chinese knockoff but only 3.19 for the quality Tyco (who bought out Bosch's relay mfg) and another 1.99 for a socket. Add in 2-3.00 for some terminals if you want them and 10-12.00 for a switch and you have it. Granted, buying the pieces at a local parts store may cost a bit more but I'll bet still under the kits.

I have put together a parts list and schematic for anyone who wants one. I will post if requested, but don't really want to rain on a regions project.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.83 KB)
209_4c83dd920fcf2.jpg 600X414 px

Posted on: 2010/9/5 12:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Those relays are great, but I paid a lot more for the Bosch variety!

Would you post the part numbers and link? I'm going to use one for a headlight relay. I'm already using them for my police siren (horn) relay and for my overdrive relay.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 13:46
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the Parts express pagehttp://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=relay%2012%20dc although I bought mine thru their affiliation with Amazon.com. Doesn't look like they have any 6V though so if those are needed will probably be local for the VW application or thru Newarkhttp://www.newark.com/relays_automotive

Posted on: 2010/9/5 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BH, regarding your interest in the identity and the maker of the OEM-style brake switch, here's a couple of photos from an NORS Wagner-Lockheed unit. The ASCO (Automatic Switch Co) logo can be seen rather clearly. Whether they continue to make this type of unit I don't know but they are very much in business still today in the manufacture of electric solenoid valves and related items.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.09 KB)
177_4c841ff00f877.jpg 600X627 px

jpg  (104.48 KB)
177_4c841fff1f273.jpg 1500X1185 px

Posted on: 2010/9/5 17:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

Thanks for the pix - each worth a thousand words.

The reason I brought up "F.A. Smith Co." and "FASCO" is that when I worked at Avanti, I found a copy of an old engineering drawing for a two-prong hydraulic switch, as originally used on that car back in '63, which had a detailed rendering of the terminal end. Though that was over 20 years ago, the FASCO logo was featured prominently. However, I'm not sure, now, whether the supplier was specified as either the F. A. Smith Co. or FASCO.

Notice the line or bar over the letters "AS" in the center of the black plastic "terminal board" in your second pic. I believe that is the top line of a stylized letter "F". If you look at an OE two-prong switch, you may find that the third prong on our switch has simply displaced most of the letter "F".

Also, notice the text about the perimeter of the terminal end, showing the letters "FAS". I believe that the letters "CO" and others are missing, again, due to the third prong, but the rest is "INDUS." - as in INDUSTRIES. Also, note the location of ROCHESTER, NY, USA.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think Brian might be on to something there. One I have clearly shows the FAS and Rochester, NY. There is no Wagner number either. It looks like a 0, 1, and maybe an 8 separated by about 1/4 inch stamped on the front.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 19:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BH, I think you've hit it right on the head. Nix all that on ASCO, I didn't pay attention to the line above the name, and knowing Automatic Switch was into hydraulic/electric controls, I made a supposition, FASCO it is, ASCO it isn't. Nice piece of detective work.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 19:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
HH56, I'm interested in a parts list and schematic to convert to a GM mechanical stop light switch for my '56 with T/L. Will you post it? Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 19:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved