Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
267 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 267

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 ... 45 »

Re: 51Packards....52 Packard 200 Deluxe!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would suggest you recoat any of the chrome where you removed the old peeling clear. The chrome is so poor it and the underlying metal will start to deteriorate then all your hard work will be for naught.

Attach file:

jpg  (272.82 KB)
209_57b66507127ce.jpg 1920X1057 px

Posted on: 2016/8/18 20:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Exactly which model years were affected with the "Korean" chrome?

John

Posted on: 2016/8/18 20:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The article came out in Dec 51 so I believe it was the entire 52 production. Not sure when it stopped but might have stretched into 53. Also possible if there were 52 pieces done in war chrome in stock and 53s still used the same item it might have been installed even if the official restriction was over.

Here is the rest of the article with exactly which pieces were involved.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.21 KB)
209_57b66b027e17b.jpg 1376X492 px

Posted on: 2016/8/18 21:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
If your chrome is good don't buff it too hard, the war chrome is only one thin layer and you'll see copper plating show through. Any chrome I had with yellowed old clear coating was resealed with rattle can clear after I cleaned it. Mostly my interior dashboard and steering wheel parts, the outside chrome was pretty bad and down to copper in many places.

Posted on: 2016/8/18 22:58
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I can confirm that the Korean chrome extended into the parts manufactured in 1952 for the upcoming 1953 model year. The grille on my car came from a '53 Clipper and it was covered in yellowed lacquer. I remove it all. Currently coated in a heavy coat of car wax. Very presentable. One of my parking light housings had the copper bleeding through and had to be replaced.

Posted on: 2016/8/19 9:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I recall, as a young lad helping out in my father's dealership, the nasty job my brother and I were given of removing yellowed and peeling clear coating on Korean War chromed grilles. We used a jelled paint remover, as I recall. We had to be very careful not to get the stuff on the painted surfaces.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/8/19 10:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
8-29-16

Following everyone's advice I completed polishing the chrome trunk emblem the best I could and then sprayed 2 light coats of clear coat. It looked decent but a little misty. Then I added the medium wet coat as per the directions and to my horror it changed to a gray color! I hoped it would clear as it dried so I tried putting a coat on the red plastic emblem as well. Checked a 1/2 hour later and it was still gray!

Grabbed the paint thinner and took the clear coat off the plastic emblem but left it on the chrome.

After returning from work today I checked and 3/4 of it is fairly clear. I will let it sit another day and see what happens. I wonder if wet sanding with some ultra fine sandpaper would help clear it up?

On a positive note my wife and I took the car out on Sunday. Drove over 15 miles with most of it at a consistent 40mph (per the gps). Once I sort out the over drive I will feel more comfortable opening it up.

The car rattles so much I'm almost thinking of taking the old door seals off the other car and gluing them on until I can afford new ones!

Posted on: 2016/8/29 18:12
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Just a comment. When I have had the need for a clear coat...I have found that Marine Varnish is just about the highest quality that I can find. Use high gloss and I think that you will be happy. If you can't find any, try the 'wooden boat store' on line. Ernie, caretaker of the 1949 288 'Miss Prudence'.

Posted on: 2016/8/30 11:40
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
bump....

Posted on: 2016/9/8 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Yesterday was the last car "show" at the local A&W. On the way home for work I talked myself into driving the car there even though it is far from showroom condition. Of course on my last leg home...it starts to rain! That ended that milestone. I guess there's always next year...

Posted on: 2016/9/8 19:46
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 ... 45 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved