Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: R9 Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The only thing that I can think of, and I hated to say anything before this because I don't have my car nearby right now (still don't), but in post #22 you stated that you couldn't see terminal #3 on the solenoid when it was installed. I recall that #3 was right near the bottom. Is it possible that the solenoid was in upside down????

Posted on: 2012/8/2 10:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
At least you know the solenoid and electrics are good so far. That's one less worry.

Getting the solenoid in the pawl is tricky but the procedure is in the manual. Basically you have to energize the solenoid to extend the plunger and then go in at an angle to capture the slot in the pawl.

Not sure how much troubleshooting or access you have with the unit in the car. The pawl has to slide in a groove opened when the balk ring moves out of the way and then slide into the sun gear hub. I don't think there is a way to check general condition of either item or see if there is a clear path or damage preventing free travel with the unit fully installed. West brings up a good point and worth looking into. Not sure if that would cause the problem or not. Would have thought the mechanic would have got it right though.

Maybe someone has an idea on how to mechanically troubleshoot in the car??

Attach file:

jpg  (39.36 KB)
209_501aa17bb5def.jpg 555X640 px

Posted on: 2012/8/2 10:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Possible-#4 is at the bottom/#7 left of it/#6 between 4 and 3. I am pretty sure spacer has 2 holes facing the rear of the car. I guess I will reinstall. Like I said the thing fell out when the last bolt was removed-like it was not connected to the pawl.

We will see

Posted on: 2012/8/2 11:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The solenoid did appear to be upside down and sounds as if the spacer might have compounded it. The solenoid side with 3 terminals faces the rear.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.38 KB)
209_501aa942c55a4.jpg 340X270 px

Posted on: 2012/8/2 11:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The spacer could have been backwards on the solenoid itself, which would force the solenoid to go in backwards as you try to put the unit in correctly.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 11:29
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
The 2 holes in the spacer are facing the rear of the car-#4 lead is as I said almost in my face(toward the ground) and #3 is slmost 180 deg from it. I put the thing back together-when I ground #5 relay same as before-relay comes in/green light on in dash/solenoid may be making more sound than before. When I put the solenoid back in-tilted it toward the rear and pulled out on it to insure it had caught the pawl which it felt like it did.

I thought the space was unsymetrical part/I thought the solemoid was symetrical

Well I guess I will take it for a ride.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 12:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hopefully it will work but something still doesn't sound right.

If your solenoid is the same as I have, orientation per the illustration and photo would put 3 not quite on the bottom but lowest toward the ground and 4 on top or about 11:00. 7 is about 2:00 toward front of car and 6 pointing straight back at 9:00. If the spacer is oriented as others have mentioned, then I would think that would put the spacer 180 out on the solenoid.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.23 KB)
209_501ac4a5d2e6e.jpg 450X543 px

Posted on: 2012/8/2 13:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
mine is about 180 deg from the illustration-that would put the spacer 180 out in relation to the solenoid Could that keep it form going into OD?

thks

David

Posted on: 2012/8/2 13:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Just to confirm-with solenoid out of the car-the solenoid is working correctly?

Posted on: 2012/8/2 13:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Per your post 40, solenoid sounds as if it's working. Goes out half inch, stays out, and dash light goes out.

An improperly aligned spacer is one of a list of things mentioned that could prevent OD engagement. A sticking or damaged pawl requiring removal and cleaning or repair are others.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved