Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: 1956 Patrician police car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mike,
for adding both '55 Pat's to the Owner Registry.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 0:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
well, this past weekend the ol' cop car moved for the first timee in far too long. ive been battling power steering issues for months, and finnaly got a hose (off the parts car) that doesnt neck down too far and cause too much back pressure.

Heres a question for some more knowledgable guys: whether i start off in high or drive i can hear and feel what feels like a shift before the converter locks. its not major, like the horrid jump from first to second, but it is there. is that normal? the way i figured it, in DRIVE it should go 1st, 2nd, lockup. mine runs 1st, 2nd, mini shift, lockup. is that a normal function im hearing/feeling?

Posted on: 2009/2/17 14:27
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is there an engine speed up when it lurches? It almost sounds as if the direct drive clutch is coming in but not grabbing completely and slips for an instant. That is somewhat common on older hard clutches but usually has a groan or rattle or some have even called it a "moo" sound with it. When you drive it, let it go from L to H and then when it's ready for direct, let off accelerator for a second while it connects. Let us know if it still happens. You say the L-H shift is "horrid". That one should be felt but not out of the ordinary or dramatic. What happens?

I notice you're missing the ignition bezel unless that's it on the floor. Do you have one or is it broken and do you have that one?

Posted on: 2009/2/17 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
the engine speed drops, just like a normal upshift.

yeah, the shift into direct vibrates/ grinds a bit if i keep the pedal steady, but i let off the gass a bit it falls right in.

if i drive the car in the drive range, it hangs on way to long in first then shifts very hard into second. it gets a bit better with use, but not much better. if i keep it in drive when slowing downn, then it shifts very hard from 2nd to 1st. for normal driving, it works fine in high.

I have the bezel, but the one ear is bent, the other is broken. i dont know if the detail is good enough, but what do you think of the key? it is has a large packard crest not the normal octagon key.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 22:05
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds like there are some problems with pressures. Have you by chance checked this adjustment as a start? It's a critical one as it controls just about everything else. Fortunately, very easy to check as there is no need to get inside trans--just underneath. If this one is OK, then it gets involved. After sitting all those years, have you tried any of the snake oils that have been recommended by various posters.

The reason I asked about the bezel is I've been playing around on a fix for broken ones and looking for someone who needs one and interested in trying it. PM me if interested & will make one and you can give me feedback. It only works though if you have the original Packard ign switch with the pins that fit in the slots on bezel...

The key is the deluxe key that was available. Not sure if it was official Packard but there are still some vendors that have them & advertise.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.43 KB)
209_499b868209e43.jpg 505X1000 px

jpg  (47.44 KB)
209_499b86912ff50.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2009/2/17 23:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
yeah, the shift into direct vibrates/ grinds a bit if i keep the pedal steady, but i let off the gass a bit it falls right in.

Drain the complete trans, including the converter, and fill with Type F trans fluid. Drive 500-1000 miles, drain and refill again. Drive another 1000 miles, drain and refill with B&M Trickshift. This worked for me with a trans that had sat for 41+ years in a field.

Next step if that doesn't work, pull the trans and replace the direct drive clutch in the converter.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 2:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
turbo...
a drain and refill is definately on my list for this spring. once the clutch engages, it holds firm, so i think a cleaning flush will probably work.

HH, i havnt done that adjustment, but i will.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 14:52
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
just a random question, has anyone ever used the LED replacements for 1156/1157 bulbs?

Posted on: 2009/2/19 11:00
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
just tacking a happy tidbit on here....

My 55 survivor car started for the first time today! If the weather holds, im going to try moving it tommorow!

Posted on: 2009/3/28 18:26
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
just some minor updates here. The cop car has been perfoming nicely and gathering lots of attention at local shows.

The 55 surviver moves nicely and shifts from high to direct, though it does not function in low or drive positions.

i finally got around to opening the trunk of my parts car (no keys) and found it very well preserved inside. there was a spare tire, complete jack and lugwrench, fender skirts a battery hold down, and most importaintly, the original air filter!

I used a jump box and applied power for the first time, and surprise! no smoke or fried wires. i found that all the lights work except the front running lights and the rear dome light!

Posted on: 2009/6/21 20:51
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved