Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Appin wrote:.......once the diff is off, how does one reset it when reinstalling to the correct angle to the drive shaft?

John,

The diff housing sits on the rear springs with alignment holes in each spring mount corresponding to pins in the centre of the spring then held in place by the U-bolts. Once mounted like this the pinion flange in the diff centre section is then set at the required angle to align with the driveshaft through the rear universal joint. I think this is the info you're after? If it's the internal adjustment between the crown wheel and pinion that is another matter and completely outside my area of inexpertise.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 18:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Ah ok, I was thinking the U Bolts only held the diff but that couldn't be or it could turn.

No I understand about the pinion gears, those tolerances are listed but I would sure be nervous about it.

On mine I think the guy before Peter let the diff run dry and the bill to get it going again was 3500.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 18:25
Carpe Diem!! Registry

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 21st April 2009

Took the '41 down to the workshop so Wade could look and listen to the noise I heard last week. And what do you know? No noise! Although when Wade took it for a test run there was noise, PAAARP! The horn started to do it's own thing, so was disconnected at the bottom of the steering column. That'll be attended to another day along with the other minor fault fixes currently required. In the meantime, more driving of the '41 hopefully without further noises or problems arising.

Half the day was spent on the road in Wades Holden Ute. First stop was retrieving the engine crane from Troy's place. Troy has an early 70's Australian Muscle car in his driveway, an XY Ford Falcon GTHO,but it could benefit from attention real soon while there's still enough of it left before rust completely destroys it.

Then a used car yard on Parramatta Road. I'm sure every town or city has it's own "Parramatta Road" where an assortment of car yards are to be found together with the used car salesmen in attendance so beloved by us all. This car yard's owner is also the owner of a '34 Packard 1100 Sedan on historic registration and it's been sitting under a cover behind the yard for the last couple of years. The owner is also a member of PACA but Wade says he's never seen the '34 as it hadn't been to any of the clubs monthly runs. So rolled back the cover and there it was, a '34 1100 703 Sedan looking reasonable. Appears to have had the upholstery redone at some time in it's life as well as a repaint. Overall pretty well complete but would benefit from some TLC not to mention a restoration. Next to the '34, and under a cover as well was a '37 Lagonda Sedan and in the workshop an E Type Jag both also owned by the same guy.

Next stop was Carburettor Service Company where Wade bought some new jets for Barry. And in that workshop receiving attention was a very very nice Aston Martin and a Mercedes 190 Convertible.

Off then to General Instruments at Lidcombe for all new hand brake cables to be made up for "Big Red" using the originals as patterns. Should be ready Wednesday afternoon or Thursday at the latest.

After a quick stop for some electrical components at Altronics at Auburn next was ABC Bearings at Silverwater. Needed front and rear axle bearings for "Big Red" and some new wheels for the engine crane. Bearings for "Big Red" now on order while the wheels they had didn't suit the engine crane application.

Final stop was Meguiar's to present an updated "Certificate of Appreciation" for their support of the recent 13th National Rally. The original certificate presented to them was spelled Maguiar's and obviously needed replacement.

Back at the workshop, after all that, turned to "Big Red" and after manouvering the engine crane lifted out the radiator and grill assembly as a complete unit. That was the easy part. The harder, much harder, part was separating the grill and surrounds from the radiator itself. Certainly seems Packard never intended these parts to be easily disassembled. Next Wade took off the distributor and coil and disconnected the temp sending unit from the head. Also took off all the head nuts. While Wade was doing that, I turned once again to cleaning parts and the sense of satisfaction this gives not to mention the dirt, grease and grime shifted to do so. Then off came the head with some help from Rick. At first glance the top end seems fine, bores look good and valves look OK.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.48 KB)
226_49ee27bb87bff.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.92 KB)
226_49ee27cbc12b9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.95 KB)
226_49ee27dceca43.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.36 KB)
226_49ee27f7ca870.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.07 KB)
226_49ee281876698.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (32.48 KB)
226_49ee282a48955.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.96 KB)
226_49ee2841023f6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.53 KB)
226_49ee285099dfe.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.81 KB)
226_49ee286620cda.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.66 KB)
226_49ee287517db0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/21 15:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday April 22nd 2009

While Wade removed engine accessories and manifolds from "Big Red" prior to the engines removal I was outside removing the rear shock links and front axle shock mounts from the parts '34 chassis for Terry(Traumjaegercat)https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2511&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=40

Back in the workshop helped Wade in the actual removal of both the intake and exhaust manifolds and also took off the top bellhousing retaining nuts from inside "Big Red". Then there was a search on for the plates Wade uses for lifting the senior eight engines. Couldn't be found, so a new pair were fabricated from flat stock. Started manouvering the engine crane into position to hook up the chain to the plates on the head studs fore and aft.

At this point Harvey arrived with an old valve radio which Wade will be performing his magic on to hopefully bring back to life. It appeared Harvey, who also has a '37 Super 8, would see the engine come out. But before that had to remove the front bumper to allow the engine crane closer access to "Big Red". Then after undoing the two front engine mount to chassis bolts, all was ready, so lifting the engine out began. Well that was the theory. Lifted, just an inch or so for clearance, but the engine wouldn't break clear of the trans! Even though Harvey wasn't dressed for the occasion he was into it, first offering advice then hands on inside the cabin attempting to lever, hammer(using a block of wood between the "persuader" and selected stud ends) and using bottle jacks to try and force the engine from the trans. Engine was also lifted and lowered a number of times to change angles or wiggle the setup in an attempt to break the hold between engine and trans. All this without any luck at all, not even a faint movement, no hint at all of a break between the two. After about 2 to 3 hours of this Harvey bid his farewell and offered to return tomorrow morning to continue assisting in what was becoming a major drama.

However after Harvey left it was decided to try again. This time the rear chain mount on the engine was changed to bring that lift point forward by a row of head studs. The lift was also increased to about double the height previously attempted. This combination finally had success with daylight now being seen between the engine and trans. A little levering between trans and engine and finally freedom! Once free, the engine was lifted higher to clear the steering box arm, slowly brought forward, manouvered to clear the fenders then wheeled into the vacant area between "Big Red" and the '34 chassis. The engine was lowered to the floor and two "legs" bolted to the rear of the block. Back into the air, drained of oil, then manouvered and placed on Dr Wade's operating table.

Wade commenced taking off the remaining accessories, the oil filter and lines and oil cooler "box". And I left a man, now happy in his work, disassembling his Packard engine.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.13 KB)
226_49ef767779fcb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.02 KB)
226_49ef769834f0c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.77 KB)
226_49ef76a3c5230.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.80 KB)
226_49ef76bc437f4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.87 KB)
226_49ef76edeaf3c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.16 KB)
226_49ef76f91c001.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.22 KB)
226_49ef77513d664.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/22 15:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Mal,

I am always amazed at the times I have had folks drop by, and they end up leaving covered in car ooze! It seems that working on a Packard is irresistible. One time I had a UPS guy hang around and help for about 15 minutes.

Great posts. Thanks tons for keeping up with them.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2009/4/22 15:16
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 23rd April 2009

Didn't get to the workshop until the afternoon as a morning with the granddaughters far outweighs scraping dirt and grime from Packard parts. When I did get there, found Wade just about ready to move the trans out. So with Rick's help, he was on the trolley jack raising and lowering the delicately balanced trans, I was on the driveshaft end of the trans with a special Packard tool(see pic) while Wade was in the middle in the empty engine bay guiding, directing and adjusting the balance of the trans on the jack. Came out fairly easily without any of yesterdays dramas. Wade was on the phone then to ABC Bearings for new pilot and throw-out bearings. While Wade went about removing the pedals and other parts I was back into cleaning more parts. Won't be at the workshop tomorrow as I'm heading north again for a flying visit to my folks but on the way back dropping in to see PACA member David who has three Packards. Will post pic's of these next week.

Quote:
34PackardRoadsta wrote:......I am always amazed at the times I have had folks drop by......One time I had a UPS guy hang around and help for about 15 minutes.......

Tom,

These people can certainly lend a hand when it's required. My story is about a parcel delivery contractor for our postal service and came about when we had a swimming pool built in our backyard about 3 years ago. I was doing some landscaping around the finished pool when I lost about a quarter of a wheelbarrow load of dirt into the newly filled pool. I was hanging onto the wheelbarrow preventing the rest of the load from tipping into the pool but couldn't get the barrow back to a level position. That's when the parcel contractor arrived and with him pulling on me and me pulling on the barrow got the barrow away from the edge of the pool. Although he didn't get his hands dirty he saved me and the barrow from ending up in the pool. He still delivers to our neighborhood and we laugh about it now.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.24 KB)
226_49f037f84ecd3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.56 KB)
226_49f0380da7730.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.33 KB)
226_49f03826307de.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.37 KB)
226_49f038318fb31.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.02 KB)
226_49f0385979bda.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.43 KB)
226_49f0386512b86.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.54 KB)
226_49f03872b5392.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.70 KB)
226_49f0388c3db91.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.25 KB)
226_49f03899d6efe.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.65 KB)
226_49f038a5e6d7a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (58.91 KB)
226_49f038f10b868.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/23 4:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Well, when Wade says he is going to take something apart..........

How did you finally get the retainer part of the rear axle bearing out?

Posted on: 2009/4/24 16:42
Carpe Diem!! Registry

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

wades_shed
See User information
Mal
You can come and clean at our house anytime you like.
Big Red's mrs

Posted on: 2009/4/25 7:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Looking forward to Gina's pictures of Mal with the vacuum.....

Posted on: 2009/4/25 19:08
Carpe Diem!! Registry

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Appin wrote:.......How did you finally get the retainer part of the rear axle bearing out?

John,

Last time at the workshop, Thursday, the cones weren't out because of the struggles with engine and trans removal diverting attention somewhat. Presume the pic below is what we're talking about and Wade's thought's were along the lines of hitting them with the arc welder, a spot or two of pelican poo and the consequent temp change may be enough to free them up. If not, then welding a bolt across the cone so that a slide hammer can then be used to "persuade" the cones to vacate the premises should do the trick. Will know more on Tuesday when I get back to the workshop.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.93 KB)
226_49f41df0bedbd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/26 3:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved