Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 243

acolds, Don B, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 59 60 61 (62) 63 64 65 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 26th October 2010

Thought I'd be getting into the workshop a little later than usual because of a doctors appointment this morning. Turns out I got in a lot later because I had to cancel the appointment so I could help our daughter with the granddaughters one of whom had her tonsils removed yesterday. All worked out well, luckily even picking up another appointment for later in the morning because the next available one after that was a week and a half later!

I had intended to accompany Wade on his rounds this morning beginning with ABC Bearings because of the followingQuote:
Ozstatman wrote:......the right outer cup has a brass shim between it and the wall of the snout, and it also has grooves. Wade upon returning from his shopping trip examined the cups and deduced they are not correct for the cones being used. Means a trip to ABC Bearings tomorrow with cup, cone and brake drum in the hope Dennis can come up with something to suit......
Dennis said the cup is the correct one for the cone and it's foreign matter which has damaged the cup! Dennis did source some new cups and cones but had only one cup in stock which Wade promptly purchased with the others on order. Additionally Dennis was able to provide Hernon Cylinlock, an Anaerobic Retaining Compound, to be used between the cup and the snout of the brake drum. This compound will set, and fill the space between the bearing and the brake drum, it's good for up to about 0.006".

From there Wade went to Hare & Forbes for new belts for the linisher and some other workshop consumables. Then it was onto dropping off Barry's '38 Twelve heads and manifold for hot tank cleaning. Finally into see Graham Wilkins before returning to the shop where I found him knocking out the right front outer wheel bearing cap. Old cup out, cleaned up both the new cup and the brake drum snout to use the Hernon Cylinlock and found out it was not brass shim(see above) but has actually been brazed! Regardless of that coated both the inside of the brake drum snout and the outside of the cup and seated it in place in the brake drum snout. And that's as far as things went with the front end, have to now wait for the rest of the bearings to become available to put it all back together.

Went on from there to do a little housekeeping with the '34. On the trip back from Kangaroo Island Wade and Brian had to continually top up the engine oil because of oil loss from leakage. A small pool of oil had formed under the '34 once it was up on jackstands, and examination by Wade determined most of the leak seemed to be coming from the oil pickup cover plate on the bottom of the sump(pan). To fix that had to drain the oil and also took the opportunity to change the oil filter. Once most of the oil had exited the sump(pan) Wade proceeded to undo the nuts holding the oil pickup cover plate. And following from yesterdays discovery almost didn't need a spanner(wrench) to loosen the nuts. One nut was only finger tight while the other five only required minimal pressure to move. It didn't help that none of the spring washers had any tension left in them they may as well have been flat washers! Anyway oil drained, cover plate cleaned up, new washers and a MBM gasket later the oil pickup cover plate was 'secured' back in place. And while he was under there Wade checked the sump(pan) bolts and found ALL of them were missing a lockwasher! Something like 26 new spring washers later, and a new bolt to replace a missing one, the sump(pan) was likewise 'secured'.

While Wade was ensuring engine oiling 'security' I took off the sidemount spares. Why do that? Because the front tyres are wearing unevenly, with the left front being close to bald. Wade suggests that a proper front end alignment is now required. Especially following the steering box adjustment and the kingpin and wheel bearings being replaced, its a perfect time to do so. Replaced the wheel/tyre combos in the sidemounts with those from the sides they'll replace. This should give the wheel alignment guy some clues as to whats been going amiss.

Wade tells me Mat looks like he's going to go with an alternator instead of a generator. Mat was telling me before he left for Hershey about the price of these from Max and presume from that the generator he picked up over there didn't check out too well. Apparently the '34 will require some re-wiring, which could be a good thing anyway, because there are a lot of 'loose' wires around the place at the moment.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.82 KB)
226_4cc67eadeaea5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.08 KB)
226_4cc67ec032fa9.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (32.32 KB)
226_4cc67ecb2803a.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.40 KB)
226_4cc68143be184.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.37 KB)
226_4cc6837c0f882.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.98 KB)
226_4cc683896113c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.29 KB)
226_4cc6839ea72d1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.11 KB)
226_4cc683ac5fa61.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.26 KB)
226_4cc683c133afd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.97 KB)
226_4cc683ccb74f0.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2010/10/26 2:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 27th October 2010

Missed getting to the workshop in the morning, more playing with granddaughters, what can you do? In my absence Wade had phoned ABC and learnt the remainder of the front wheel bearings had "just arrived on the truck". So after picking them up and finishing re-assembly of the front end went on to adjust the front brakes as well as the front brake cables.

That's when I arrived and the next thing was to put the front end of the '34 back on the floor. From there the sump(pan) was filled with fresh oil and the '34 started up. Well, that was the plan, reality was somewhat different. Didn't turn over too quickly on the '34's battery, plus I was doing duty as the manual choke activator during the starting procedure. Didn't want to fire up at all. So then used Mat's booster battery, turned over even slower! Then used one of the shop's boosters, turned over rapidly but still didn't start. Thought the '34 might be out of fuel and fortunately Mat had a 10 litre carton in the trunk so that was emptied into the fuel tank. Back with the shop booster and away she went and, from appearances, no oil leaks like before. And a question for Mat - Where is the charging lead for your booster battery?

From there turned to the back end of the '34, to adjust the rear brakes. Jacked up the back and jackstands positioned under the axle plate at each side. Right rear required a lot of adjustment while the left rear just needed a touch in comparison. But, while under the rear, Wade noticed one of the axle U-bolt nuts had a gap of about 1/4" between it and the mounting plate. This will be rectified once we can get the '34 up on Rick's hoist, but we'll have to ask nicely. And had a scare while Wade was under the rear of the '34, he noticed an oily looking puddle under the engine. Turned out to be fuel, so maybe the '34 wasn't out of fuel when we were trying to start it earlier!

Returned to the front of the '34 and the water pump. Failing a replacement pump being available, this one needs to be rebuilt so had to come out. First needed to drain sufficient water out of the cooling system. But the cock on the lower radiator outlet couldn't be accessed so an alternative point of water egress was sought. This turned out to be the hose between the bottom outlet and the inlet neck on the side of the block. The hose clips holding the hose to the inlet neck were loosened and, using a very strategically placed and very large tray under the car, the outflow was very successfully collected. The cast iron inlet neck was also removed from the block because it was also a leak source. Then off with the fan, nuts and holding collar removed and the water pump was removed from the '34. Doesn't look too healthy with one of the impeller blades brazed in place and a copper(brass?) plate on the end of the impeller blades. Wade started dis-assembly but the grub screw holding the impeller to the shaft is proving very stubborn to remove and will be addressed tomorrow. Did make up a MBM gasket for the block inlet neck in readiness for re-assembly. And just before I left Wade was sitting on a stool directly in front of the left front wheel and tyre and said it looks like it's pointing out a bit. If that's the case it explains the badly worn left front tyre, and probably means some major corrective surgery!

Attach file:

jpg  (37.71 KB)
226_4cc7dbf346e14.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.87 KB)
226_4cc7dc0366acc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.83 KB)
226_4cc7dc1910fa8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.34 KB)
226_4cc7dc306ffe2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.31 KB)
226_4cc7dc4154ee0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.62 KB)
226_4cc7dca4e6514.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.80 KB)
226_4cc7dcd0b3665.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (207.98 KB)
226_4cc7dcf0479e2.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2010/10/27 3:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi Wade & Mal,

Looks like that car is keeping you both busy. The charger for the booster should be in the trunk.

The water pump has sure seen better days... Can you confirm what year/model water pump that is and i'll make a few last minute enquiries before i come home.

Lets hope that the front wheel is okay, how are all the other tyres looking for tread?

Many thanks,
Mat

Posted on: 2010/10/27 18:54

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 28th October 2010

Couple of hours only at the workshop this morning. First up was the '34's water pump, specifically the grub screw locating and holding the impeller on the shaft. Yesterday the grub screw wouldn't budge, so it was left to soak overnight. Then using one of John's allen headed sockets, and ensuring a good fit, once it started moving it came out easily. Then onto the fun parts pressing the shaft out of the impeller, pressing the shaft, bearings and spacer out out of the water pump housing and finally pressing the bearings and spacer off the shaft. Have a 20 ton hydraulic press which helps this process a whole lot but pushing the shaft out of the impeller proved difficult. This was not helped by, at one stage, not having enough clearance for the pump bearing. Also required the judicious use of heat on the impeller, remembering one of the blades has been repaired by brazing. All apart, and cleaned up, could see there wasn't much in the way of packing, no wonder it leaked. And the bearings had been replaced at some time in the past but will be replaced again anyway to ensure they won't be a problem in the near future. Wade called Stan to tee him up for the machining work necessary for the ceramic seal and will source that and the new bearings, probably this afternoon, from ABC Bearings. Also re-installed the block inlet neck together with the MBM gasket.

After that turned to the '41 which I driven down this morning in anticipation that Wade could have a look at a few things. First up were the windscreen wipers. These had stopped working while in South Australia last month and because I drove the car in the rain last Sunday to a car show was keen to see it fixed. Wade assumed his usual upside down under the dash pose and determined the wiper motor is working(it's a '41, so it's electric) but that's not translating to the wipers themselves. Because getting at the wiper motor, to give a bit of elbow room, requires removal of the radio so given the limited time I had available that's going to be a job for another day. In meantime I'll invest in some Rain-X so I have some semblance of vision if I'm in the rain again before the wipers are fixed. The other matter was the turn indicator switch on the steering column. This had given up the ghost the day before departing for South Australia. The other day, in talking to Wade about the switch, a flimsy item I'd bought off eBay to replace a similar switch which also died, he mentioned an alternative switch. This was a Hella 4208 Switch so that afternoon found some local suppliers but the $140 cost took my breath away. No doubt I will go that way but until then wanted to pursue less costly alternatives. So this time sitting upright behind the steering wheel Wade removed the switch cover. Because it;s so flimsy the arm had jammed up and off the indented bar it follows. Fixed with a little grease and determining that just a little backward pressure in operating the switch ensures it operates correctly.

And yesterday I received a query from a PackardInfo member concerning an exhaust manifold he'd picked up but couldn't positively identify. He knew it wasn't a '37-'39 but wondered if it might be '33-'34. Looks the same as the one on Wade's '34 and also the one on his spare engine, so it's '34 for sure. But whether it's '33 also we're not sure, but probably is, because there was a fair bit of commonality between those years. Hobb's, would you care to comment?

Quote:

packard34 wrote:.....Looks like that car is keeping you both busy. The charger for the booster should be in the trunk.

The water pump has sure seen better days... Can you confirm what year/model water pump that is and I'll make a few last minute enquiries before i come home.

Lets hope that the front wheel is okay, how are all the other tyres looking for tread?......
Mat,

Thanks, had a look in the trunk yesterday but couldn't see the charger. Have to be more methodical next time round.

Water pump is a '34.

Doubt it's the front wheel being out of whack, Wade suspects the axle might be bent.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.62 KB)
226_4cc930ea5e533.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (40.99 KB)
226_4cc9312b4921c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.43 KB)
226_4cc9313e211b2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.41 KB)
226_4cc93156c33b0.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.24 KB)
226_4cc9316ba26b0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.28 KB)
226_4cc93279b67db.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.52 KB)
226_4cc932887af19.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.28 KB)
226_4cc9329679fd4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/10/28 3:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 29th October 2010

First thing this morning was a trip over to ABC Bearings for modern seals and bearings for Mat's '34 and the '36 120 water pumps. But before doing that Wade showed me the box of parts we were taking for comparison and measurement purposes. These comprised the '34's water pump body, impeller shaft(minus impeller) and one of the removed bearings, while for the 120 it was the body and the shaft with the impeller still pressed on. Took one look at the impeller and was gobsmacked! For one thing it is brass and for another it's, for want of a better phrase, a work of art, a mechanical marvel, a labour of love or maybe it's a combination of all three? The impeller is hand made, meaning it's made out of brass with fitted brass impeller blades fitted and screwed into slots on the impeller plate together with additional retaining plates. My description doesn't do it justice, hope the pic's tell a better story. Anyway at ABC did the '34 pump first and settled on the same ceramic seal Wade used in Big Red because there wasn't a compact enough seal to fit the larger shaft in the '34. The bearings were easy but learned something about the bearings that had been in the pump. Dennis took one look at them and said they were a "looser" bearing, ie there was more clearance built into the bearing, these usually being used where something is slightly out of alignment! So instead of the "loose" bearings we replaced them with standard clearance bearings. Dennis was also taken by the brass impeller 'creation'. The 120 pump also will be modified for a modern ceramic seal but for 1/2" shaft diameter instead of the 5/8" for the '34. And the brass bushing in the nose of the pump housing is being replaced by two sealed ball bearings. On the weekend Wade will measure housings/bearings/seals/shafts and draft some drawings to accompany the parts when they go to Stan for machining next week.

Once back at the workshop cleaned up the parts off the 120 pump which Wade had dis-assembled yesterday. Wade had also cleaned up the front of the '34's block in readiness for the water pump once it's rebuild is complete. And surprise, Gina dropped into the workshop and she too was impressed by the 'creation'. I for one would like it for a desk ornament or paperweight rather than be hidden away in a '36 Packard 120B water pump! Wade then proceeded onto some cosmetic touchups on the '34, hope Mat likes and approves of them. First was the front number plate bracket, what was there certainly wasn't befitting of a Packard! While Wade has a front number plate bracket off his '34 at this point of time he's not sure whether he's using that or not so he didn't go in that direction. Instead there was another home made bracket he had and after some measuring, bending and drilling it now approximates the '34 bracket in form, much more more befitting of the '34. I had to leave before it was finished being installed but it certainly will be better than the rattly concoction that was there before. The other item in the beautification program was a spare pair of used chromed front frame rail ends, well that's what I call them, that Wade has. These should clean up OK, not show quality by any means, but certainly better than the missing ones there. It is interesting though that one appears to be made from pressed steel and the other is a casting, twice as thick and twice as heavy.

Just as I was leaving the workshop, grandfatherly duties again it's been a fairly family focused week, had a call from Chris, Starliner. Chris is replacing the WWW tyres on his '54 Clipper Super Club Sedan ready for road worthiness and the guy at the tyre fitters said the old tyres are still OK so Chris was asking if I knew of anybody who might be interested in them? I didn't offhand and suggested that, besides retaining one for a spare, he advertise them in the PACA club magazine "The Packardian" where members can place ads for free and the next issue is about ready to be prepared for print. Best thing about this deal is that the tyres are free to a good Packard home! So you read it here first PACA members, and if you want Chris's contact number send me a PM and I'll advise.
And just had a thought, doesn't happen often at this age, about a couple of '50's owners who might be interested so I'll send them an email.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.58 KB)
226_4cca836ee360a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (13.20 KB)
226_4cca837a8b0ff.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.09 KB)
226_4cca83874dfba.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (30.47 KB)
226_4cca839b28eab.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.27 KB)
226_4cca83bac6a0d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.55 KB)
226_4cca84db1ad8b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.65 KB)
226_4cca85088beda.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.58 KB)
226_4cca85175e499.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.30 KB)
226_4cca85370b211.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.54 KB)
226_4cca854238c4b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.53 KB)
226_4cca854eb8f41.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.40 KB)
226_4cca855a9ca8b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.65 KB)
226_4cca8585a3c50.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.94 KB)
226_4cca85a946050.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.47 KB)
226_4cca85b9f2a66.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.50 KB)
226_4cca85ca9cbc6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.79 KB)
226_4cca85dd7dfd8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.38 KB)
226_4cca86047fb01.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.00 KB)
226_4cca861b8b31a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.20 KB)
226_4cca862de7f96.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.46 KB)
226_4cca864be931b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/10/29 3:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Looking good Mal,

I got the parts for the waterpump yesterday that Wade needed. So I'll drop that down on Tuesday when we get back to Aus. The front number plate bracket looks very nice. Got the new Alternator as well so that should be nice.

The trip to the Nethercutt was fantastic by the way & was great to meat Kev, we had a great day :)

Has Wade mentioned anything to you about the crack in the cylinder wall?

Take care mal & will catch up soon

cheers,
Mat

Posted on: 2010/10/30 19:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hobbs
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:

...And yesterday I received a query from a PackardInfo member concerning an exhaust manifold he'd picked up but couldn't positively identify. He knew it wasn't a '37-'39 but wondered if it might be '33-'34. Looks the same as the one on Wade's '34 and also the one on his spare engine, so it's '34 for sure. But whether it's '33 also we're not sure, but probably is, because there was a fair bit of commonality between those years. Hobb's, would you care to comment?...

Mal,

The key words above are "looks the same" Unfortunately, several parts often look alike, but do indeed have small differences.

We respect to manifolds, I wouldn't know where to begin to look for differences.

The parts manual for 1933-1936 lists several different manifolds

I did not look into if mine has a part number stamped anywhere.

Here are a few photos of the manifold on my car currently.

Also shown is a page from the 1933 Packard Parts Book

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?337

Seems to leave more questions than answers

Attach file:

jpg  (46.19 KB)
1132_4cccd8f2a12c2.jpg 792X474 px

jpg  (40.37 KB)
1132_4cccd8fac773a.jpg 792X474 px

jpg  (125.03 KB)
1132_4cccdcf808d9c.jpg 1130X1600 px

Posted on: 2010/10/30 21:59
1933 Packard Sedan
Registry
Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
packard34 wrote:.....I got the parts for the waterpump yesterday that Wade needed. So I'll drop that down on Tuesday when we get back to Aus.......Has Wade mentioned anything to you about the crack in the cylinder wall?.....
Mat,

I've referred this info onto Wade. See you on Tuesday!

Hobbs,
for the comments and pic's, hopefully will help in the identification stakes.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 22:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 1st November 2010

Another late start at the workshop. Those granddaughters sure are demanding, but what can you do? Found Wade had been working on the '34, his '34 that is! Had glued some rubber edging around the outer firewall in preparation for putting it back into the '34. The next task was to finish the new caneite layer that goes between the outer firewall and the inner one. The major work on the caneite had been done a few months back but a number of holes remained to be located and drilled as well as creating a channel for the drain tube from the cowl vent. This entailed a number of on, locate and mark holes, off, then on, locate and mark, off, on, etc, etc sessions. It also entailed, at times, Wade inside the body while I held the caneite against the inner firewall while Wade located and marked holes. Finally all holes had been located, drilled and touched up where required. That left the channel for the drain tube. Wade was leaning to just cutting a slot in the caneite but I suggested we try to cut/carve/whatever a channel to accommodate the tube. A trial fit appeared to confirm a channel was possible so then I had to devise a means of doing what I'd proposed. Thought of using a Stanley knife or maybe a grinding bit in an electric drill but then ended up using a large round file. Said to Wade just before I started that if the file didn't work we'd revert to his Plan A of cutting a slot because I wasn't that confident it would work. Needn't have worried, it worked like a charm! Because the caneite is soft, using the file laid almost flat, a groove was very easily started. From there it was just a matter of progressively filing the groove deeper and wider. A number of trial fittings of the tube along the way to check, adjust and achieve the width and depth required of the channel and we were in business. Glad it worked, not often an idea of mine is adopted and most importantly works! With a slot about 80% of the way done the middle of the caneite it would have been very delicate to handle. As it was, the caneite was placed on the inner firewall, the drain tube threaded through from the top, and there it sat reasonably snuggly in place. Wade inserted the metal sleeves in the holes in the bottom corners of the caneite which are for the bonnet(hood) catches. Then the outer firewall was slipped into place. Now when I say "slipped into place" I'm taking a bit of literary licence in using that term. Because of the "lip" at the front of the cowl, the firewall is slipped up and behind the "lip" and then lowered and swung back to fit the sides in. Required some persuasion to get it all to fit together but didn't require the firewall to be taken off to resize or relocate holes in the caneite so we did something right there. With the firewall in place, Wade had contemplated using a couple of large bolts to temporarily hold the upper corners where the radiator stays are anchored. Instead, when the time came he used the cast iron oil pressure and vacuum fittings which are located in the upper part of the firewall. Worked well too, although they are temporary for this particular task. To locate the lower part of the firewall the bonnet(hood) catches were then installed and securely tightened because they are there permanently. A couple of times Wade referred to Mat's '34 for visual confirmation of things but in the main relied on the extensive file of pic's he'd taken during dis-assembly. And Wade tell me that all going well he hopes to get the body onto the chassis later this week, probably Saturday. This will be a significant milestone in The Fossil's restoration progress. Left Wade trying to contact Stan, couldn't raise him earlier, so he could drop in Mat's '34's water pump for the machining required.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.55 KB)
226_4cce58e12d671.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.74 KB)
226_4cce58f32afae.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.16 KB)
226_4cce5909b6d8b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.71 KB)
226_4cce591cd24bd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.90 KB)
226_4cce593261119.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.44 KB)
226_4cce593fc8513.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.25 KB)
226_4cce594e17804.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/11/1 1:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 2nd November 2010

"The race that stops a nation" that's the moniker applied to the Melbourne Cup Australia's premier horse race. Happens the first Tuesday in November every year with this years being the 150th running!

Enough of the Australiana lesson for today and on to the more usual Packard presentation. Wade phoned me in the morning to advise he wouldn't be at the workshop until later in the morning because of another commitment but could I be there in case Mat arrived? Of course I could, so spent my time perusing some old magazines that Wade is passing on to PACA members. Among the magazines was one from 1981, I think, which contained an ad which caught my eye. The ad was by Joel Ray, Patrician Industries/Packards1, advertising Packard parts for sale. Shortly thereafter Wade arrived and we turned to his '34, The Fossil.

Still a few things to be done before the '34's body and frame are mated together, one of which was re-installing the right side cowl vent door. The left side vent door had been re-installed back on the 23rd June and finally the time had come to tackle the right side. Besides once the body is back on, with steering column and other things to contend with, it wont be as accessible so now was the time. The right side hinge had posed a problem at the time with the hinge loops on the body not permitting passage for the hinge pin. Wade had cleaned out the hinge loops on the vent door itself but because of the close confines hadn't been able to do so for the body loops. Today the body hinge loops needed to be cleaned out and a number of small round files were the first choice for clearance work. However because of the difficulty in operating the small files effectively this approach didn't produce the desired result. Turned to a more primitive method in an effort to clear what was thought to be paint buildup, hammering an "implement" through the hinge loops to remove the buildup. The "implement" was a long thin bolt of the same diameter as the hinge pin. The top hinge loop wasn't a problem so the "implement" started its work on the second hinge loop. Progress was slow, but it was progress, and to ensure the "implement" didn't get stuck and present another problem it was backed out from time to time. Coming through the second hinge loop the "implement" pushed a wad of paint out before it. Same again for the third and last hinge loops and a test fit of the hing pin proved successful. The hinge pin and all hinge loops were given a coating of grease and with me inserting the vent door from outside the cowl and then holding it in place Wade inserted the hinge pin. And what do you know, it works! All that remained was to couple up the arm and spring connecting the vent handle to the body. And just when Wade was tightening up the little nut and bolt holding the arm and spring, Mat, the owner of the other '34 in the shop arrived!

Mat had arrived in Sydney about 7:30am and in the time between touching down at the airport and arriving at the workshop, about 3 hours later, he'd been busy. Besides collecting his luggage, which had grown from the two bags he'd taken with him to four on his return(lot of Packard parts in there!) he'd picked up his daily driver and visited his '55 Caribbean at a paint shop in western Sydney. Wade was able to show and explain what had been done or remained to be done on Mat's '34. Mat in turn provided stories of his time in the US, and is already talking about going back next year! He then produced a new Delco-Remy 6V Negative ground alternator and some new seals for the water pump and the sump plug. The alternator looks interesting but even more interesting is, how is it going to be mounted? Because the water pump is away being machined, Wade dropped it into Stan yesterday afternoon, any ideas as to where and how it will be mounted will wait until it returns and is mounted on the block again together with the pulley and fan which are all factors for consideration. Mat did say he had a guy who could fabricate a bracket so, once a decision and design is settled on, that will certainly help. And in case you're fretting about this development, Mat does have a '34 generator he picked up in the US but it needs rebuilding.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.49 KB)
226_4ccf95d61815d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (16.21 KB)
226_4ccf95e92d67f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (16.16 KB)
226_4ccf95fb0d444.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (10.85 KB)
226_4ccf960bc508e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (14.67 KB)
226_4ccf9617b8591.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (32.74 KB)
226_4ccf96321c616.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.79 KB)
226_4ccf96448713b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.29 KB)
226_4ccf96beaf377.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (18.83 KB)
226_4ccf96d4769a9.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (35.66 KB)
226_4ccf96e54398e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.56 KB)
226_4ccf96fa3d497.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (38.04 KB)
226_4ccf970abcbf0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/11/1 23:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 59 60 61 (62) 63 64 65 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved