Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 32 »

Re: Thief-Proof Numbers (body serial numbers)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting thief-proof from the 1952 200 Deluxe. Clearly it's a 52 from the VN, but the thief-proof suggests the basic body was built during the 1951 production run. Such irregularities seem rare (based on the data we have) but not unheard of. Do we know if the car was built for export?

Posted on: 2009/5/17 16:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote:.....Do we know if the car was built for export?

Dave,

I suspect it was as it's RHD but I'll check with the owner and advise.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 1:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

aasafetypilot
See User information
I'm brand new here, and don't know much about Packards (other than they're beautiful!) But am considering buying a 1930 sedan - #on firewall I35033, # on data plate 301713, # on frame 302167, # on engine 301867. Are all of these correct? should they match??? Thanks

Jim

Posted on: 2009/5/30 16:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A wheelbase measurement is necessary to complete the identification; your vehicle number (on the patent plate) identifies you car as a 7th series. It was yet a number of years before Packard built cars according to calendar year, though your car corresponds to 1930. It could be either a model 726 (127-1/2" wheelbase) or a 733 (134-1/2 inch). In either case it is the small 8 cylinder engine (320 cubic inches vs 385 for the larger series) and the model is known as a Standard Eight. The motor # should match the vehicle # so it would appear that your car has had a motor replacement but of the correct year and series. The frame # does not necessarily match the other numbers but is consistent with a 7th series Standard Eight.

On the 726 chassis, only a single body style was available, a 4-dr 5 passenger sedan; this style was known as #403. This was the "volume" car of the year.

On the 733 chassis there were 10 body styles available. The sedan would be a 5-7 passenger and would have jump seats.

About 28,260 7th series Standard Eights were produced between the two chassis and body styles.

And yes, steel disc wheels were available and remained so thru 1934 at least. They were more commonly seen on export cars because of their extreme strength versus wire spoke or wooden spoke.

726 Standard Eights are, in a relative sense, survivors in considerable numbers. I hope you find it an enjoyable car, and please try to keep it as authentic as possible to retain it's value.

Posted on: 2009/5/30 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
The motor # should match the vehicle # so it would appear that your car has had a motor replacement but of the correct year and series.

I'm not sure how common it was, but at least one 7th series car shipped with a motor that did not match the serial number. I have attached a copy of the original delivery receipt.

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (118.94 KB)
333_4a22be05b66a6.jpg 764X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/5/31 12:27
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Some very hi dollar seat covers for 1930 eh?????

Note that apparetly the new owner took delivery in early 1930, made 2wo payments during the same month and paid it off the same month. Not much financing available during the depression years.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 12:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting piece of paper, can't argue with the non-matching serial and motor number though they should match. I notice the customer was charged almost $200 over list price for the car, and the selling dealer was apparently not a Packard dealer according to my dealer list from the late 30s. Does anyone have a dealer list showing this agency's name? Packard had many dualed dealers, but I'd be suprised that they'd be very happy about having one with Pierce.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Tom's receipt on the 1930 ~ 733 Sedan is a fascinating document.
I think that about half of my motivation as a Packard-lover is the mechanical beauty and artistic they radiate. The rest seems related to some "detective" gene that fixes on some unknown problem like a hound-on-scent.

Perhaps, I am not alone in this fascination! After all, here is a Forum thread entitled,
"Theft-Proof Numbers"
with observations and comments so many fellow Packard detectives, adding up to over
100 posts on it.
100+

I rest my case.
DanL

Posted on: 2009/5/31 18:17
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
E. Grey Smith (mite have been grAy) was the Nashville Packard dealer. I have some dealer work orders and other documentation from Smith. I'll try to scan and post if there is any interest.

The E. Grey Smith W.O.'s i have list him as Packard, RR and Jag. Not sure how far back he goes. I know a man that worked for him prior to WWII to as late as 1973-74.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 21:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (77.01 KB)
226_4a276da4f1967.jpg 896X554 px

Posted on: 2009/6/4 1:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 32 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved