Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

History Revised Again
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have followed the numerous discussions we have had about the "what ifs" of Packard surviving past the Detroit built 1956 models. Here is one scenario that I don't think has been considered.

The Mark II Continental body would seem to be a good candidate for how it could have been used as a senior Packard body. It has formal and distinctive styling that is still attractive today. The big problem is it only came in a 2-door. Seems our talented folks here could create a 4-door version.

I think a Packard with this styling could have been a good looking package, much more so that the air craft sized 1958 Lincolns. What do you think?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/22 11:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: History Revised Again
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John, the "what ifs" are not my playground but I couldn't agree with you more with regard to

Quote:
"...It has formal and distinctive styling that is still attractive today..."

I'm never tire of looking at this car.

Click to see original Image in a new window

source: www.carphotos.cardomain.com

Posted on: 2013/3/22 15:14
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
That's a very interesting idea, maybe someone can lay out a storyline that gets the platform into Packard's hands. Have worked up various Mk II sedan ideas through the years, usually on longer wheelbases, seem to have lost most of them but did find this grainly mod, keeps the Mk II wheelbase but moves the greenhouse back. For this thread have removed the spare hump to un-Lincify.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.45 KB)
2060_514cc1c3e5abf.jpg 508X378 px

jpg  (27.03 KB)
2060_514cc1d62153d.jpg 508X378 px

Posted on: 2013/3/22 15:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Gentlemen:

This is probably one of the better " What If's" ,had they been able to pursue it.
Packard 385

Posted on: 2013/3/22 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
At $10,000.00 a copy I don't see this as a Packard savior. I believe FoMoCo lost a bundle on each car produced. The design is superb. I can't see it as a four door. I can see it as a convertible. What would Packard do to make it their own... add an oxbow grill and cloisonne wheelcovers? Nah... just can't see it.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 18:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
They did make three convertibles and they look great!

Posted on: 2013/3/22 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
JD, good point about the price of the Mk IIs. These Continentals, as you know, had a lot of hand work in the assembly, specially built and tested engines and transmissions, and expensive trim items and interior materials. Packard could have cut the cost considerably with mass production methods and less expensive materials. Another point is modifying the body to make it a 4-door sedan. This would have been expensive. I too would like to see how a Packard style grille treatment would have worked on this body. Still, to me, it is the most attractive of the options discussed so far.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/23 11:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window
It's all on the surface.

Seen from a historical perspective, it couldn't be a follower that lend the body. Its year of release was 1956. And good that you've mentioned its body. To inherit the underlying technics wouldn't have been a progress. Albeit pricewise not in the same market segment, Packard was one step ahead. Listen to this sales conversation between customer and salesman in a Continental showroom:

C: Torsion level suspension?
S: No, conventional leaf springs.
C: Pushbutton control?
S: Overrated. Newfangled contraption.
C: 310 HP?
S: Almost.
C: Air condition?
S: Yes! ... y..yes.
C: Yes?
S: True it would cost more.
C: More? You mean $10,000 plus extra charge?
S: Yes, but the extra charge list is small.
C: The moon appears quite small too.
S: The moon, the moon. Don't ask for the moon.
C: Tri-tone paint schemes?
S: No, but ...
C: Two-tone?
S: No, we prefer the classic look.
C: Convertible?
S: As standard not available.
C: Twin Traction?
S: Tw.. tw .. twhat?
C: Sir, I thought a Continental is a class of its own?
S: Yes, it is. Take a look at the price tag.
C: I prefer to look at gold-plated exterior script.
S: Then you should buy a Packard.

[picture source: www.carphotos.oldride.com]

Posted on: 2013/3/23 14:32
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Although I like the Continental's looks very much, Gerd's Qs and As point up how much better Packard was as an automobile.
Thanks Gerd.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 18:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Attempt at a Packard version of Mark II. Moved the greenhouse back, thinned the C-pillars, extended the wheelbase 4 inches to 130, ditched the trunk hump and worked in a grill, motif and cormorant. Carryover stampings might have included the front fenders, hood, rear quarters (trimmed from coupe), backlight and windhshield. Maybe the coupe's front doors could have been trimmed to get to the shorter sedan door. New rear door inner/outers, decklid and longer roof would have been needed. Overall a much better appearance for roughly the same $9M that would have gone into converting the standard Lincoln body shell into a Packard as had been proposed. Am thinking the arrangement might not have been possible until 1958 when Mk II went out of production. Can just hear the Deuce... "Go ahead, give'm the tooling, was headed for the scrap yard anyway, didn't do us much good." Maybe Packard could have negotiated to buy the Continental's entire assembly operations since it was likely to be scuttled too. The biggest problem was powertrain, Utical being closed by then. Someone on this forum some time ago had advocated a V12 based on the Studebaker V8.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.84 KB)
2060_514e59b0200c0.jpg 1280X701 px

Posted on: 2013/3/23 20:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved