Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

cmarshall@kanter.com, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '52 Pan American
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

mtpackard51 wrote:
That's the first picture of any of these cars I've seen with the top up. Not what I would have expected.

Membership has its privileges... ! If you are not a member, you might want to sign up for a membership in the Packard Club... you have no idea of the goodies you might be missing. Otherwise, get hunting back through your The Packard Cormorant and Cormorant magazines along with issues of Cormorant News Bulletin.

A good photo of Richard Arbib's Pan American was published decades ago in the Packard Club's Cormorant magazine. Another Packard Club publication more recently published something in this regard. And... you can also see another view of this photo in the recent Hemmings Motor News daily blog here>>>https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/07/08/pan-american-the-mysterious-packard-concept-sports-car-which-way-did-they-go/comment-page-2/

We know that two of the six Pan Americans had folding tops. It is possible that a third Pan Am also had one and another had been planed to have one (actually they were ALL initially planned to have tops).

Posted on: 2018/8/17 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
source unknown

Click to enlarge!

The source of this page is indeed known. It is from the September, 1952 edition of Auto Sport Review magazine.

Again... Packard Club membership has its privileges. A recent edition of the Packard Club Cormorant News Bulletin published the pages from this 1952 magazine article.

Posted on: 2018/8/17 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
source unknown

Click to enlarge!

The source of this page is indeed known. It is from the September, 1952 edition of Auto Sport Review magazine.

Again... Packard Club membership has its privileges. A recent edition of the Packard Club Cormorant News Bulletin published the pages from this 1952 magazine article.

Posted on: 2018/8/17 15:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Leon,

Your font of knowledge in regard to these vehicles and their history is amazing. Looking forward to your upcoming article in The Packard Cormorant magazine. And wish you well in the continuing search for the missing Pan Americans.

Posted on: 2018/8/17 17:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Leon,

Your font of knowledge in regard to these vehicles and their history is amazing. Looking forward to your upcoming article in The Packard Cormorant magazine. And wish you well in the continuing search for the missing Pan Americans.

Thanks much for the very kind words. I have a stack of stuff on the Pan Americans and together with info gathered from others who have cared about these cars since many years ago, the story can now finally be told. But there are still loose ends.

I still wish that someone, somewhere out there can find the story of the collection that burned around 1956 that supposedly had a Pan American in it. That's the one I want to see! Does anybody, anywhere know about this story??

Also... does anyone, anywhere know anything at all about a Pan American in Europe? Possibly at a museum in France? There are a dozen conflicting stories about this one....

Posted on: 2018/8/17 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Don't know about a Pan American but the Musee Henri Malartre in a small town just North of Lyon in France has the 1956 Caribbean that was once owned by the famous singer Edith Piaf
This may have generated rumours of a Pan American.

Posted on: 2018/8/17 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

BDeB wrote:
Don't know about a Pan American but the Musee Henri Malartre in a small town just North of Lyon in France has the 1956 Caribbean that was once owned by the famous singer Edith Piaf
This may have generated rumours of a Pan American.

Hello,

Thanks for the post. I'm very well aware of Edith Piaf's 1956 Caribbean convertible in this museum in France. Her car has been hugely modified. Colors are non-original and interior looks as if the seats were changed over from a Mercedes Benz. Just totally modified with original Caribbean seats completely gone from what I have seen.

One of the original stories of a Pan American in a French museum came from Henry Austin Clark... who certainly knew his automobiles and who insisted the car was there many years ago. But who knows?

There are also other stories.

I do know for certain that a Pan American toured Europe in the 1950s and there are strong rumors that it never returned to the USA. So again, I continue to appreciate any leads in this regard.

Thanks again for the posting.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 6:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved