Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 206

John Sauser, su8overdrive, Ozstatman, Ross, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 246 247 248 (249) 250 251 252 ... 499 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wow Fred, you must be really ancient to remember such things!

Posted on: 2017/1/13 13:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe that is a solar shield but expect it would be a good bug screen too. They were very common in New Mexico when I was a lad in the days before AC and solar glass was common. Even my "don't believe in accessories" dad sprung for a set. I believe the material is still available today but mostly used in commercial buildings.

Those dad bought were thin aluminum sheets that had rows of slats approx 1/8" or less apart and maybe 1/8" wide by an inch long punched in. The slats were positioned at 90 degrees to the vertical. Mounted to a heavier outside frame for support, they were kind of generic in size and usually sold at places like Western Auto and other aftermarket stores. If the car window had a really weird shape, they could be custom ordered with width and length and shape of the piece just a bit larger than the window opening.

Held in place by a couple of maybe 1/2 inch wide by two or three inch long padded strips on the bottom which were part of the frame. You would slide the strips down between the window glass and inner molding. Friction holds the thing kind of bowed in the opening. They can be used with glass up or down. You bought a size slightly larger than the window opening dimensions so the shield top or sides would extend over the moldings and screen couldn't go flying out.

You can see out OK if you look straight thru but forget about seeing much of anything if it is close and at a lower or higher angle. Conversely, the sun can't directly shine in because the high angle of the sun is blocked by the slits. Obviously they had to be removed to pay a toll or go to the drive-in. Not the most user friendly of devices but did beat the other option of a piece of folded newspaper or a towel over the closed glass to keep the hot sun from shining in.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 14:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
so basically old school tint.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 15:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good analogy. I don't think the adhering tinted cling wraps were available then but could be wrong. Advantage to the metal type was the window could be open. I never saw anything really thin that would work but they did have shaded celluloid strips and sheets. Those were much thicker and as I recall tore easily so somewhat delicate. Believe Packard offered a narrow celluloid strip that was applied across the top of windshield. No idea how it was held on. I suppose something like that could have been used for a window sun shield too but I doubt it would be as durable as the metal.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 15:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kansasboy
See User information
My Dad had a 55 Pontiac station wagon with AC, the ones he
put in were on a wooden shade roller.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 16:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I remember those. Think they had a little clip like device or maybe a magnet to hold the bottom to the window molding when extended. If you brushed against the clip or somehow dislodged it the shade snapped back up.

Those were the good old days. Other than 1000 watt stereos that can vibrate house windows as you drive by todays cars don't have near the fun accessories we got to play with.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 18:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kansasboy
See User information
Yes, they certainly weren't good on the hiway with
the windows down either, but as you mentioned they
did keep alot of sun out of the car.

t

Posted on: 2017/1/13 18:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information

Posted on: 2017/1/14 2:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

A '41 110 Special coupe, might be good but at a better price:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5951377582.html

A '49 Eight Deluxe, ready to enjoy:
http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/5916365809.html

A '53 Cavalier, decent shape but pricey:
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/5959605990.html

Hardtops:
A '54 Clipper Panama, might be solid, cheap:
http://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/5941403915.html

A '56 Clipper Super, good project start:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5952384886.html

Steve

Posted on: 2017/1/16 8:46
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information

Posted on: 2017/1/17 10:35
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 246 247 248 (249) 250 251 252 ... 499 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved