Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

22nd Series shock absorbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi

I should possibly have thought about the shock absorbers before lots of other work which we have done - however the shiny paint and chrome and nice seats to sit in seduced me away from the more mundane (but essential) bits.

After having my first drive in her after 5 years of labour and putting up with alleged "Restorers" for that time I was very disappointed at the handling and the cars inability to deal with anything but the smoothest of highways - lots of rattles and bumps etc.

I can only think that a lot of this is due to possibly shock absorbers which could be anywhere between 33 and 66 years old and possibly never even been looked at never mind serviced in any way.

Any tips or help in any way to guide me to what I should do in the way of servicing them would be much appreciated

Best regards Michael

Photos of front shocks and photo of the rear telescopic units attached

Attach file:

jpg  (113.15 KB)
1329_53b4340f83224.jpg 1042X782 px

jpg  (130.70 KB)
1329_53b4682669f00.jpg 1127X845 px

Posted on: 2014/7/2 11:21
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd Series shock absorbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The rear tube type shock absorbers can be replaced. They are not serviceable. Someone here may have suggestions for a manufacturer and part number for them. Also check the Packard Parts X-Ref on this site.

The front ones may be serviced. There is a plug on the top of the units that is removed to add oil. I would start out with the regular hydraulic jack oil and see how it works; then, if the shocks leak too much go to a higher viscosity oil. Remove the plug, add oil until full, jounce front end up and down several times, add more oil if needed, repeat until shock will not take any more oil. Replace plug. Watch the shocks for leaks. They will need to be rebuilt if they do not hold oil. Apple Hydraulics rebuilds these units.

Good luck, and let us know how your progress goes.

(o{}o)

Just checked and there are multiple listings for replacement rear shock absorbers in the Parts X-Ref section.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 11:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks JW in Austin Texas

I thought that replacement of the rear shocks would be the answer as on more recent cars (good old throw away Society)I live in Wetherby in Yorkshire in the UK so as a starter I'll take off one and try to obtain something here that matches - does anyone know what the specification is for them ?

The advice on the fronts has to be tried sometime in the future, the car is still in restoration but now quite a distance from my home though under my wing rather than the rogue "restorers" so working on her is very slow. The fronts do not seem to be leaking oil but maybe they are completely empty ? If they are leaking can that be cured with new seals ?

On another vein I attached, or rather tried to attach a photo of the rears as well and got a message that read "Protector detects attacking actions" - can anyone explain that ?

Best regards Michael

Looking back in my P.Ms I see that altering the title can allow posting of a photo - now done !!

Posted on: 2014/7/2 14:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
got a message that read "Protector detects attacking actions" - can anyone explain that

Not sure what your photo title looked like. I use a Mac and take screen clips. The Mac automatically labels each of captures with date and time in a format the site does not like so I got the same message.

The Mac format looks like this and if I tried to post the snip directly with that info as the photo title the error would appear. If I edit and remove all time info then all is well. I think it might be the combination of numbers and periods separating the numbers that it doesn't like.

On the front shocks, they could well be empty. Mine were and when I filled them one side promptly leaked. I think they will have to be rebuilt and think it is bushings rather than seals. There is a How to article in the literature section that shows how one poster did his. I was going to try and bought a spare set for the purpose but don't have the knack. So far I can't even get the caps off -- let alone weld a nut on for the top cover removal so will use the extras for a core and just get rebuilts..

Attach file:

jpg  (8.54 KB)
209_53b46903ad2a4.jpg 125X54 px

Posted on: 2014/7/2 15:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
HI This Topic was raised by me back in July 2014 - many things have been carried out on the car since then and one of the more recent was the fitting of new rear Monroe shock absorbers, very straight forward.

Secondly the front shock's tops were removed (difficult and fiddly)and true to form there wasn't any fluid in them so we carefully over a period of a couple of days filled with a little fluid and let settle until eventually no more could be fed in so the cap was put back on and lots of pushing up and down ensued, whilst we also kept a careful watch for leaking fluid. Apart from wearing us out nothing happened and it appeared the arms were "locked" together - we then got out the BIG trolley jack and placed it under one side and jacked the wheel off the floor then dropped the jack as quickly as possible after a few times a groan came from this one side and when pushing up and down resumed it responded and was no longer "solid". We then proceeded to do the same with the other side with the same result. Once down and level we bumped her up and down again and while there wasn't much movement there weren't any leaks.

Very cold and damp and ice/snow on the ground here at the moment so we are eagerly awaiting a nice day to take her for a trial run - check out the ride and that we haven't got leaks - will give an update in due course.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2015/1/20 10:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It seems checking and adding fluid to the front shocks was something that most owners totally ignored. If you can get them to function smoothly but they leak slightly, you try a more viscous hydraulic fluid. I normally use Mobil Hydraulic Oil DTE-24 (SAE 10) but you might consider DTE-25 (SAE 20).

Posted on: 2015/1/20 11:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening in the UK. As you are looking for some of the rattles, you might consider the rubber gasket around your trunk. Our 1949 2362 'Miss Princess' had a nasty rattle when going over bumps which I first thought was the tail pipe, then the gas tank and after many, many bad words, Alex Alfaro, who maintains our modern machinery offered the opinion that it was the trunk rubber gasket. Sure enough, it was. Who knew! The gaskets are available from Steele Rubber. Good Luck. Ernie

Posted on: 2015/1/20 11:34
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Michael - What is the part number of the rear Monroe shock absorbers that you used on your 22th Series - I am sure mine will need replacement too - Thanks

Posted on: 2015/1/20 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Owen_Dyneto The oil we put in was SAE 10 - will update when eventually we get the opportunity weather-wise to do a trial run.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2015/1/22 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Ernie

Way-Way back in time ALL new rubbers from Steele were installed inc. the trunk - also on the ramp it was obvious the bang was coming from the exhaust hitting the chassis member.

Thanks though always nice to have a new Member to chat with - Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2015/1/22 11:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved