Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 228

bullsh--ter, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

21st Series Hood Lock Grommets
Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
What is the preferred method to replace worn hood lock grommets? To me it appears to be to remove the split washer?

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (116.04 KB)
4570_53c36e28c4437.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (64.40 KB)
4570_53c36e3b62cf5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/7/14 0:45
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Re: 21st Series Hood Lock Grommets
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
I replaced the same grommets on my 23rd Series...and chose to make an incision on each one (from the center out) to allow simply slipping them on. Not exactly how I prefer to do things, but it worked...and the incisions are not obvious to casual (or even semi-formal) observers of the engine compartment.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 7:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if you don't want to split the rubber then you do have to remove the washers. A slight twist of the ends to separate the split by about a quarter inch at the inner opening is what it takes to let the washer sort of tilt and slide off.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 8:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks guys. I've added a link to this thread in my index of helpful information for "when I get around to it". I need to replace the grommets on both the '49 and '50 and was wondering how to get them off and on.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 8:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Just went out to the garage and looked at the mechanism on my 21st series custom. My Packard has a hair pin clip that secures the rod to the lever. Remove the clip, remove the rod from the lever (be careful not to short on battery), open the split washer a bit and slide past notch in lever, slide washer off of the lever, and slide grommet off of lever. Reverse order to install new grommet. Also, there are two holes in the lever for adjusting amount pull of operating handle inside car. My Clipper uses the inner ones. Hope this helps.

(o{}o)

I see now that Howard beat me to the reply. He's too fast for me. Anyway, no cutting is needed to get the new grommets on.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 10:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
Thanks guys, another job for tonight!

Posted on: 2014/7/14 17:31
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
Hood lock grommets replaced. Easy job as described above. I have to say though the new replacements are very thin compared to the originals and pull themseves inside out when in the locked postion.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.22 KB)
4570_53cc42814eebe.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (83.08 KB)
4570_53cc42911fb9f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/7/20 17:28
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
LJJ is right - the replacement grommets are much thinner than the original Packard quality grommets. Sad that the vendors can't make a better part for us. When I replaced the grommets on my 49 Custom Eight I cleaned up all the pieces, repainted them, and then reassembled. Noticing how thin was the new grommet, I cleaned up the old grommet, and put it on under the new one. Thus giving the new grommet some thickness and so it wouldn't be pulled through the hole. Makes for a nice tight seal.
By the way, a method to refurbish the old rubber is to clean thoroughly with soap and water. I use gojo and then dawn. Then dry completely and fill any cracks with liquid rubber. The little cans for electrical use make a nice pliable filler. Several thin coats are required to completely fill the cracks. Then a light coat over the entire piece makes it look like new. This makes for an okay rubber repair when no new rubber is available.
James

Posted on: 2014/7/21 20:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved