Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 202

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Headlight switch removal help
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
In searching the files on this board, I have not found anything on removing this switch. It feels rather dry so some service is in order.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 11:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlight switch removal help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean the 55-6 switches, once the knob is off you need the hex shaped tool or a facsimile thereof which goes over the shaft to unscrew the retaining nut inside the bezel. The knob releases by finding the notch at the base and then inserting a small screwdriver to push up against a spring clip while pulling the knob off. On the tool, It is possible to make something using 1/4 hex but the tool is already made and easier to use with the handle. 51-4 and the entire bezel just unscrews. Once the switch is out you can unbend the tabs holding the phenolic terminal support to get to the interior. Be advised the rheostat portion and the contacts around the shaft is where problems with dash lights usually occur. The rotating contact pieces seem to oxidize and corrode quite easily. If the rivets are loose and corrosion has set in between the contact surfaces on the terminal pieces and contact plates they connect, it is almost impossible to clean around the pieces and have it last. The ceramic holding the assy is very brittle so I wouldn't advise trying to tighten the rivets by brute force.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15649&forum=4&post_id=157339#forumpost157339

Posted on: 2015/4/16 11:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I removed the headlight switch in my 54 Cvalier.

There is a little allen set screw that lets you remove the knob.

I made a wrench to unscrew the nut that holds the switch in the dash which has two pins that engage the slots on either side.

My car has an ashtray directly under the switch that can be eisily removed and then you can get to the wires easily.

The wires plug into the switch and you can destroy the switch if you get heavy handed. The wires in my car are stiff and petrified.

Disconnect the battery before you start.

The switch is easy to damage and I believe they are scarace.

Jim

Posted on: 2015/4/16 18:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Use a ignition points file or some VERY THIN file to clean up the rheostat contacts for the dimmer. BE VERY GENTLE!!! Coat with some silicone grease.

Probably not necessary to dissassemble the internal parts from the switch. Just chek the rivets and contacts and clean them with a FILE or SCRAPE with a knife blade.
Test it before u put it back in the dash. That's all i had to do to my 56 Exec sw and it works fine now. Not sticky at all.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 20:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Mite want to use some Lubriplate grease instead of silicone. Lubriplate is a BRAND NAME of a "white grease" That's what i usually use but sometimes use the silicone grease.

The secret to electrical problems is SCRAPE OR FILE contactss to SHINY clean virgin metal and coat with some lubricant such as Lubriplate or silicone grease. Ultimately, the Lubriplte will be best.

Posted on: 2015/4/16 20:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i have have hex stock, i can make this tool, just been too busy,, 1/4 hex with a 1/8 hole,,,maybe bigger than 1/8

Posted on: 2015/4/17 12:01
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Thanks guys, I have used Silicone grease & lubriplate in the past, both with success.
And disconnect the battery? What if I wear welding goggles instead?

Posted on: 2015/4/17 16:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I know you're jesting, but.....

We had an interesting demonstration in auto shop in high school. The teacher took a finger ring and used it to create a dead short under the dashboard. In about 2 seconds the ring was white hot and then melted - suppose your finger was in it?

Posted on: 2015/4/17 17:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The lubriplate will be OK. Don't use WD-40.

The tabs that keep the switch together can break off esprcially if you are not the first to take it apart.

The little lugs you plug the wires into break the phenolic which has probably decomposed. The plastic insulation on the wires will have become stiff.

I plan to put a relay on my headlights.

Coming home in the dark one night all the lights including headlights went suddenly off when I turned into my neighborhood. I discovered later after I survived, that the wire that runs to the light bulb in the transmission selector on the steering column had shorted up at the socket.

Getting that ligh back in was a major PITA after I put in a new wire.

I have a friend who got his watch band across a 12 volt car battery using an end wrench. Welded it to his arm while glowing brightly.

Jim

Posted on: 2015/4/17 19:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved