Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Transmission Swap
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1SG
See User information
Please, keep me informed as to either/both swaps. At present the TU in my wife's Packard is fine but it will be replaced one way or another. We live too far from town not to get better fuel mileage.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 9:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew Sinclair
See User information
I am very curious to hear how this project is going and I would love to see any pictures you may have available. If you've had time to work on it, of course.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 12:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Constellation
See User information
I'm having a little issue with the adapter that was machined. it's going to have to be machined again. the depth of the depth of the Ultramatic torque convertor is an issue compared to the GM convertor.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I am still waiting for the completed cross member but I have some pics of my work so far on the 700R4 on my blog.
Look at Stewart 1955 400 project blog.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 21:30
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew Sinclair
See User information
Those pictures are great! Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 10:43
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Emmanuel
See User information
I'm wondering if the best way is :
- complete restoration of the Twin Ultramatic
- replace it with a Chrysler TroqueFlite ?

I also have the original push button command, but not complete relay.
Are the torqueflite controlled by cable button or electric actuator ?

Posted on: 2017/4/12 14:38
1956 Four Hundred - mostly original
1956 Caribbean hardtop project car
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The purists will vote for the Ultramatic rebuild but since you are overseas I would wonder if you could find anyone there to do the job. There are very few qualified Ultramatic people left even over here. Letting someone work on it who is unfamiliar with how the units operate and their specific needs and quirks is asking for problems.

Before deciding which conversion to go with make sure the TorqueFlite conversion kit is still available. Last I heard it was made by Sierra Grove Packards and IIRC, a poster said the shop had closed along with production of the kit. Maybe someone will know the status for sure.

I believe the TorqueFlite used for the conversion was lever operated and out of late 60s-early 70s Chryslers. The push button Chrysler unit was mechanical or rather, cable operated instead of being electric like the Packard buttons. The Chrysler buttons moved a cam arrangement which pulled or pushed a flexible cable to work the valve in the transmission instead of having a motor do it. I believe a second cable was operated by the park button to move the park pawl into engagement.

The Bendtsen kit for the GM 700R4 conversion is what most seem to be doing now and as far as I know there is currently no way of using the push button unit after the conversion. Not saying it is impossible -- it is just that no one has studied the issues and figured out the pieces needed to make the actuator mount and work the different GM shift layout.

Posted on: 2017/4/12 15:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
my grandfather had the TorqueFlite on his 56 patrician. it was converted to column shift. the next owner converted back to ultramatic with push button.

Posted on: 2017/4/12 16:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
"We live too far from town not to get better fuel mileage."

Packard was the only car to have Direct Drive the torque converter is locked over 35 mph and the engine is directly mechanically connected to the rear wheels with no power loss just as if you're in 3rd gear in a standard trans
The Torqueflite converter still "slips" as designed, thus there is a power AND MILEAGE loss. Although the Torqueflite has better shifting characteristics and reliability, I do n ot believe you will get better mileage.

Posted on: 2017/4/12 16:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've put 36,000 miles on my 400 since rebuild. I was lucky enough to find a rebuilder who really knew Ultramatics. He did my Caribbean also and I expect that unit to function just as well. His Dad was a PAC member so he took apart ultramatics and really studied them. I don't know if he still does rebuilds. He is a Chrysler fan - owns three Vipers.

Posted on: 2017/4/12 17:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved