Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 234

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: The Packard Request
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Got the Hemmings issue as B-day present a few nights ago, read Pat Foster's article. Agree with others who posted that Packard's problems would not have been solved by it. Arbib showed what was possible with the Contour's body and grill when he created the Pan American.

Here's work-up set to night sky, with 2 inches sectioned from body. Grill has Arbib's sweetheart shape on top and now a prominent center section covering the "dark matter" (open space) that the original grill arguably had too much of. Modern but still with traditional Packard refinement and tailoring... to my blurry eyes.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.61 KB)
2060_5814b6d89b3be.jpg 661X553 px

Posted on: 2016/10/29 9:51
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

QCMC
See User information
Although I have not seen the article in Hemmings, I was instantly reminded of the fascinating piece about The Request written by Bill Francis in the April 1977 issue of "Car Classics" wherein he describes buying the car and restoring it. I had not been familiar with the car and I assume it is still enjoyed.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

QCMC wrote:
Although I have not seen the article in Hemmings, I was instantly reminded of the fascinating piece about The Request written by Bill Francis in the April 1977 issue of "Car Classics" wherein he describes buying the car and restoring it. I had not been familiar with the car and I assume it is still enjoyed.

You will probably want to know that "Bill Francis" certainly had to be a pen name and not a real person. Either way, whoever it was, that person was not who bought or restored the Request-who actually were three guys I knew in the 1970s.

The Request has been re-done at least twice since that article and now lives in New Jersey.

Posted on: 2016/11/1 23:20
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

QCMC
See User information
After looking at my post again I see that my wording was confusing, to say the least. Bill Francis clearly states that the owners consisted of a partnership comprised of Larry and Orville Dopps plus Dick Comstock.

Anyway, delighted to know that the car is in good shape and is well preserved.

Posted on: 2016/11/2 8:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Request has been in the Marano Collection in New Jersey for some years and is seen fairly regularly by those of us in the area. Enclosed are photos of it as seen as the 2010 Gettysburg PA national meet where it participated in one or more of the driving tours. The car has since received a more comprehensive restoration.

In the second photo the Request is next to Randy Berger's 400 (that's Randy in black); down row a bit is my '56 Caribbean (MES).

Attach file:

jpg  (211.96 KB)
177_5819ef844526e.jpg 1500X1025 px

jpg  (430.69 KB)
177_5819f00953544.jpg 1500X1020 px

Posted on: 2016/11/2 8:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I really like that picture because my 400 (Best Other) is just to the left of the Request.
And yours truly is in the pic.

Posted on: 2016/11/2 8:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

QCMC wrote:
After looking at my post again I see that my wording was confusing, to say the least. Bill Francis clearly states that the owners consisted of a partnership comprised of Larry and Orville Dopps plus Dick Comstock.

Anyway, delighted to know that the car is in good shape and is well preserved.

Yes... and these are the very same 3 guys I mentioned who owned and restored the Request. Dick Comstock got some of the parts used in that restoration from me. Also, some of the photos in the magazines were taken at Richard's house (at that time) in Yakima, WA.

Again, I believe "Bill Francis" was a fictitious pen name and not a real person (I wrote for the same magazine at that time).

Posted on: 2016/11/5 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The Request is one of my favorite Packards. It combines the classical grille styling on a modern and attractive body. It is a most pleasing blending of the styles. The look is in keeping with Rolls and Mercedes of the day.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/11/6 14:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Although the clipping says Predictor, I classify the car shown below as a Request.

-> source

Attach file:

jpg  (115.94 KB)
757_5bfe8c3645749.jpg 726X1024 px

Posted on: 2018/11/28 7:38
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved