Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Timing detail for '39 Six
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I am trying to get the timing set on my '39 Six. The mechanic performing the work asked me to try and find out where the timing marks, etc., are on the car as there is no obvious 'pointer' and timing marks on the harmonic balancer that we can see. Is there a specific procedure for the Six?
I looked through the service bulletin files and could not find anything that answered the questions re: recommended timing setting, dwell, points gap, etc. I also want to take the distributor out and, in other vehicles I have worked on, there is a TDC mark on the harmonic balancer. Is TDC ascertained by a flywheel mark or some other method on the Six? Any help, pics or directions to the appropriate archive would be hugely appreciated. Much thanks to any willing to share.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 19:24
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Timing detail for '39 Six
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others will have to confirm if applicable to the six but some of that era cars have timing marks on the flywheel which is viewed thru a peephole.

Here is an illustration of that setup and also timing specs from Sept 15, 1938 Service Counselor Vol 12 #18. If you want to download it, the complete specs for all the 39 cars are in that counselor.

The service manual also has a bit more info on timing as it gives a range of 6-7 1/2 degrees for the 39 six with standard head and 5 to 6 1/2 degrees for the high compression head. The combo 38-39 service manual is also here for download.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.76 KB)
209_57fee043c36ea.jpg 936X424 px

jpg  (66.97 KB)
209_57fee04f69ff2.jpg 1048X690 px

jpg  (21.92 KB)
209_57fee05b543f2.jpg 700X252 px

Posted on: 2016/10/12 20:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
HH has it correct. But, note also that our modern fuel's octane is higher and other parameters are different from that available in 1939. Further, your distributor mount has a graduated rotational gauge for which the owner would adjust to compensate for the variation in the gas they happen to get. Open the hood, loosen the distributor while engine running, tweak until the engine sounds good, tighten distributor mount, wipe off hands and clothes, jump back in car and drive. Imagine asking owners to do that today.

So, I suspect your mechanic may already know this, but consider the factory spec as a good starting point from which you may need to adjust.

I hope this helps.
Pat (owner of 39 Six)

Posted on: 2016/10/13 6:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packard newbie, et. al.: Setting the timing by viewing the marks on the flywheel through a small hole under the starter is a difficult job. Usual way is to remove the LF wheel and fender splash panel. Easy access to the timing marks and distributor is there after this.

While doing this job the first time on my 37 Six I made a pointer and marked the harmonic balancer for future jobs. The pointer is a heavy wire fastened to the engine front cover. Using the flywheel marks I transferred them to the balancer. I painted the pointer and marks with white paint so they would be more visible. Now, when I want to set the timing I use the easy to see balancer marks.

Also, there is an "Octane Setter" on the base of my distributor, and you may have one on yours too. It allows minor changes to either advance or retard the timing to adjust for varying fuel quality back in the day. Read all about it in your service manual.

Hope this helps.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/10/13 11:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved