Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 203

BigKev, Don B, David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Install or not install: Continental kit for Pacific?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54Les
See User information
Great looking Pacific! I wish that my '54 Convertible was as nice as yours. I have the same continental kit, which my Packard mechanic confirms as Huddleston-Whitbone. Leave it on....it looks spectacular!

Les

Posted on: 2016/11/16 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'm not a huge fan of continental kits chiefly because of the extra shaking they set up in the car on rough roads and they will increase the rate at which your door gaps will open up at the top.

That said, as a real live Packard Club judge, if the unit is neatly installed no one is going to call you down on it as it is a period accessory. But really why on earth are you remotely concerned ? Unless you take best of show our opinion of your car will not alter its resale more than five or six dollars. The purpose of Packard Club judging is chiefly to help those who wish to improve their cars by finding oversights.

Posted on: 2016/11/16 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Continental kits are like mayonnaise, some like it, some don't. Whether or not someone else likes mayonnaise should have no influence on whether or not you put it on your sandwich

Posted on: 2016/11/16 14:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Always preferred the faux continental kits that fit over the trunk lid and gave the appearance of a spare tire. No added length, just a little added weight, and the look is there. Notice Ross is doing something similar to his After 8.

Think this is what Packard was trying to do with the 1953-54 Caribbeans; shorten the trunk so the continental kit would not protrude too much in back of the car. Keep the overall length from growing too much.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/11/16 17:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The short trunk was a design feature on all 51-56 convertibles including Caribbeans due to the need for a top well, the overall length of the convertibles (except 53-54) Caribs was the same as the 2 door non-convertibles.

Then 53-54 Caribs may seem that the continental spare area is shortened but what was done to give it the "built-in" look was to extend the quarter panels about 10". Thus the 53-54 Caribs were about 10" longer than the corresponding 2 door models

Posted on: 2016/11/16 19:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Fred

How much were the '51-'56 deck lids reduced in length to accommodate the convertible top well?

You just verified my suspicion that the visual coving of the Caribbean continental kits was by Senior-style fender extensions to accommodate Senior series taillights.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/11/17 9:47
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Steve, a couple of photos that you may appreciate; these have been posted here before but perhaps you missed them. First clearly shows the rear fender graft on a 53 Caribbean; light gray area is lead. Second shows the handwork in shortening the trunk lid framework. I find the latter kind of interesting and whenever I see a 55/56 Caribbean with the trunk open I look at the workmanship; it varies from nice and tidy to looking like a high school auto shop student did it on his first day.

I don't recall the origin of the 1st photo but I believe it's from one of the regulars here. Second is mine.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.47 KB)
177_582dc643892ac.jpg 500X281 px

jpg  (31.24 KB)
177_582dc661598d4.jpg 461X763 px

Posted on: 2016/11/17 10:02
 Top  Print   

Re:photos in my first post are NOT pics of my own car, which is unrestored.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

flyntgr
See User information
While my rough car is just now beginning restoration for the first time since the late 1980's, it is currently a rough condition 4 in the identical colors as his car-except that the continental kit has a Packard hubcap in the center and a simulated, abbreviated white side wall surrounding the hubcap. The outer rim of the cont. kit is chromed with a little pitting, but very little; it is Not pot metal. I will take a picture of it as is so someone can possibly tell me whether it might be a Packard option, or just an older after-market add-on.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 16:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved