Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Ultramatic Hard Shifting into Reverse
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard probably had a special tool but one of the universal sockets that are supposed to fit any shape and multiple size bolts should work.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.92 KB)
209_591141a5af16f.jpg 746X730 px

Posted on: 2017/5/8 23:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
A regular 12-point socket will work just fine as we are only applying 20 ft-lbs. Its either a 5/8 or 11/16.

Posted on: 2017/5/9 5:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I have experienced the "clunk" in Packards, Caddies, Chryslers etc. If a band adjustment does not cure it my money is on excessive gear lash in the rear axle. With the car up and in neutral, grab the drive shaft and see how far it rotates freely. Some, perhaps 30 degrees? is normal, 90 degrees is not. You may be able to replicate the clunk but not as loud.

Posted on: 2017/5/9 6:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Square sockets are available from tool vendors. JWL

Posted on: 2017/5/9 10:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Square sockets are available from tool vendors.

True, but at least in my experience it's easier to find 8-point sockets for square-head fasteners.

Posted on: 2017/5/9 10:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, exactly right, 8-point sockets for square headed fasteners. JWL

Posted on: 2017/5/9 16:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I wrote that I borrowed a 15/16" socket from my work. Here is a link to my very old blog...https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5434&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=50

Posted on: 2017/5/9 18:16
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Thank you, I'll have the guy check it when I go for a transmission service soon. I'll let you know.

Posted on: 2017/5/9 21:50
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Well, I adjusted the right-side band today. That is what I understand is the band that controls the shift into reverse. Didn't seem to make a difference - might have actually made the shift into Low a little bit clunkier.

So it must be something else. Maybe the pump pressure is too high for the shift?

Posted on: 2017/5/14 15:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How is the idle speed? Packard recommended 450 rpm in neutral or 375 in high range and while there is a little leeway, if the engine is idling appreciably faster than those numbers the transmission takes quite a jolt as it takes the load and slows the torque converter and engine down.

I don't think pump pressure will appreciably change the reverse action. The reverse piston gets full front pump pressure of 160-180 psi. Unlike the low band, there is no modulation of the reverse pressure.

There is very little cushioning action in the Ultra and piston application of the bands is abrupt in reverse. The lower pressure on the low piston may allow a bit of spin so the load isn't transmitted as abruptly. High range application is not quite as noticeable as either band because there is a layer of oil between the clutch plates. They can spin a small amount as they take the load of the torque converter before they lock together.

IIRC, Ross was able to devise a restriction on the exhaust side of the 55-6 TU reverse piston to slow down the application speed and cut the jolt a bit but I don't know if a similar mod is a possibility for the regular Ultras.

Posted on: 2017/5/14 17:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved