Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 217

Ozstatman, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

roof insulation
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
I'm in the process of installing a new headliner and a 55 400. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what type of insulation to put between the headliner and the roof.
Happy

Posted on: 2018/7/3 10:02
 Top  Print   

Re: roof insulation
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
We used a foil backed insulation made of "bubble-pack" material. Lowered the inside temp of the car considerably.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2018/7/3 11:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I used a product similar to what James mentions as a heat insulator because I was adding AC to the 47 but am not sure how good a sound deadener it is going to be.

For the roof I would suggest you want a combination heat and sound product. Almost anything modern should be better than the asphalt impregnated tarpaper like product Packard used. If you had the interior clear there are some spray on products that are excellent but if only changing the headliner with the seats etc in place then a stick on mat product is better.

Ross mentioned in an earlier thread that he likes a relatively inexpensive NOICO product available from Amazon and others. He mentions it controlling sound as well as helping with heat but just looking at the description it doesn't say anything about being a heat insulator even though it appears to have a reflective foil on one side. Amazon has several similar butyl and foil products that do advertise as sound and heat insulators for slightly more money. I would say any of them would be more than satisfactory.

Posted on: 2018/7/3 12:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I used the product that James mentioned in my '70 Corvette. I bought it at either Home Depot or Lowe's and cut it to fit. I lined the rear storage area behind the seat, the inside firewall, and the floor. It made a tremendous difference in heat and noise in the car. I used 3M spray adhesive for installing. I sprayed both the car side and the material. On my 1932 sedan I installed it in the complete interior including the roof. I have no reservations recommending it.

Posted on: 2018/7/3 15:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I used this stuff on the roof which is foil backed jute insulation. I used knockoff dynamat on the doors, the entire floor, and then covered the floor in foil-bubble insulation that you can buy in rolls from Lowes.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.89 KB)
1_5b3d6b833348d.jpg 500X666 px

jpg  (36.84 KB)
1_5b3d6b8f5f72d.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2018/7/4 19:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved