Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 227

Leeedy, HH56, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Installation of Exterior door handle buttons 51-56
Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
When I sent my 1954 exterior door handles off to be re-chromed, I removed the thumb button mechanisms. The mechanism is held in by two tabs that lock into holes in the door handle casting. I used a punch to push the tabs out of their holes and forced the mechanism out but it was not an easy task.

Is there a better way to put these back in than just forcing them into the door handle? Should I try to straighten out the tabs and if I do, how would I bend them out again so they lock in the holes?

One of my handles already has a crack in the casting where the mechanism slides in and I am worried about breaking a piece off if I try to force the tabs into position.

Posted on: 2019/4/11 15:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Installation of Exterior door handle buttons 51-56
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm hoping someone will answer as I'm curious too. Whenever I've tried to remove the buttons as you did, the little tabs end up breaking off!

Posted on: 2019/4/12 17:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are probably many methods and others that may be easier but this one works for me. It may not be Packard approved and could void the warranty so be forewarned.

I find it less of a hassle working with the retainer by getting the spring completely out of the way when trying to manipulate the tabs into the holes. To hold the spring I make a holder out of baling wire or a strong paper clip to compress the spring and then tape the holder to the handle making sure it is positioned in the longer slot. That keeps the spring well down and away from the action.

Once the spring is compressed, start the retainer at a steep angle taking advantage of the bend in the rod for extra room for the tilt. Work it down until one tab is in a hole. It will take some effort and be sure the tab stays lined up with the hole as you work it down. Once one tab is in position that provides a bit more room so using screwdrivers or whatever start the other side of the retainer down. The retainer edge still up will want to catch on the handle edge so needs to be guided and maybe compressed slightly. The slot in the retainer will allow a small bit of compression. Push the retainer the rest of the way down until the other tab slips in the hole. You can then remove the holder by cutting or whatever.

If one side of the spring works out of the retainer when removing the holder you can push down on the side of the spring still in the retainer to lessen the diameter and provide room to push the errant side back in.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.29 KB)
209_5cb133cbea84e.jpg 628X892 px

jpg  (49.19 KB)
209_5cb133d548979.jpg 737X804 px

jpg  (51.67 KB)
209_5cb133df196dd.jpg 695X1020 px

jpg  (38.97 KB)
209_5cb133e895889.jpg 789X682 px

jpg  (51.16 KB)
209_5cb133f10eab4.jpg 702X784 px

jpg  (68.23 KB)
209_5cb133ff45c3a.jpg 823X797 px

jpg  (58.61 KB)
209_5cb1340993312.jpg 737X899 px

jpg  (58.30 KB)
209_5cb1341268117.jpg 844X868 px

Posted on: 2019/4/12 20:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Thanks a lot Howard. The pictures were really helpful.

Posted on: 2019/4/13 11:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Clippered
See User information
Are replacement springs available? My door pushbutton doesn't want to pop back out even the I've cleaned & oiled the assembly.

Posted on: 2019/4/14 19:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you tried your local hardware store? Mine had an assortment, one of which worked perfectly, just requiring a trim to length.

Posted on: 2019/4/14 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any chance the pot metal in the handle has swelled or perhaps the stainless cover over the button pot metal or the pin holding the rod to the button has worked loose and is dragging in the housing.

For what it is worth the spring part number is 435214. Max doesn't list them but you might see if Kanter has any NOS and surely there are used from parts cars around. If not, it is a common compression spring and by matching measurements the identical or something similar that would work could probably be found locally or at McMaster-Carr or MSC.

Posted on: 2019/4/14 21:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved