Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

12 volts for 6 volt horns
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I am having a problem with the horns on my41 120. I am running on 6 volts and the horns sound fine when I run the car and ground the wire that is supposed to go to the steering wheel horn button. When I try the steering wheel horn button the sound is weak as if I am not making good contact at the horn button. All the wires are of the proper diameter and new. My question is can I run the horns on 12 volts without any damage. I start the car on 12 volts with the battery under the front seat and run the car on 6 volts with the battery under the hood.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on: 2019/10/26 10:10
 Top  Print 

Re: 12 volts for 6 volt horns
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Running the horns on 12v has been done and since they are on for only a short period, so far I don't remember any reports of damage other than the horns being extremely loud. The relay should be changed as those are much more delicate and could be damaged by the higher voltage.

The relay does the actual work of connecting the horns to the battery and honestly I would wonder if the change in voltage would solve anything. If grounding the wire that goes to the horn button works them satisfactorily that means the relay and that part of the circuit is working well. I would suspect the horn button or the connecting wire is the issue and if a bad connection or something in the button is not making a solid contact to ground perhaps the relay is not energizing strongly enough for a proper connection thru its contacts. I would be concerned the same thing would happen at 12v since that part of the circuit would not change. The unknown factor would be since the relay would need to change with a 12v conversion, possibly the new relay would draw less current and the marginal connection would be overcome but that is not a given.

You might pick up an inexpensive universal horn button from Amazon or ebay to temporarily connect to a good ground and the wire you have been grounding. If the horn works well with the extra button then I would pull the steering wheel to check the wire going down the shaft and also clean the contact plate and associated horn ring parts.

Posted on: 2019/10/26 10:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1940 110 Club Sedan was converted to 12v and never any problem with the 6v horns.

Posted on: 2019/10/26 19:08
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
Thanks, for the response, I'll clean up the contacts

Posted on: 2019/11/1 14:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Suggest you use a burnishing tool, not a file in cleaning the electrical contacts on your horns.

Posted on: 2019/11/2 12:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved