The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
32 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 32

more...

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Vacation Car - 56 Patrician
Quite a regular
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
If your car has pushbutton shift there is a wire between the ballast resistor yellow wire going over to the PB relays to provide part of the PB power. That wire is not shown on the main diagram but is in the PB diagram -- yellow on early built cars, white on later ones. If a problem develops in the PB fingers or one of the relays which results in a direct short, that connecting wire or the yellow wire coming from the ign switch can burn. A very late issued service bulletin added a fuse over at the PB relays to protect the two wires but if that was never done a problem with the PB system could explain the burn.

Howard,

thank you for that!! that makes perfect sense. This car was originally a pushbutton automatic but was converted to the manual. That explains the extra yellow wire and maybe why it was taken off the road oh so many years ago.

Posted on: 7/6 20:35:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Fort Worth, Texas
On the factory A/C vents,

Would the blueprints be helpful with a 3D printer, or do you need the part to use with a 3D printer?

Posted on: 7/7 11:23:51

Quite a regular
From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
On the factory A/C vents,

Would the blueprints be helpful with a 3D printer, or do you need the part to use with a 3D printer?

Let the Ride Decide:

Depending on the detail of the prints the blue prints would actually be better. The blue prints should have the tolerances that the factory says it should have while any physical part that could be used for 3D printing could not only be out of factory specification, but could be damaged, modified or simply just warped/shrunk due to age and sunlight.

From the blue prints a 3D model could be created in the computer and then 3D printed.

Posted on: 7/13 7:48:06

Quite a regular
From Pittsburgh, PA
This past week I was able to go back to where the car is located at to get some work done. I took an air needle to the underside of the car to help prepare the frame for paint and knock off any lose undercoating. I tried using it for the interior and it did okay removing some undercoating but not much. I guess I didnt need to go as far as I did but I figured I got a 1/3 off so might as well get the rest off. So I got air chisel out and went to town getting about 80% of the undercoating out of the interior. Its a good thing I did, I found more rust near the body mount in front of the rear drivers side tire.

In the process of attacking the underside I also removed the driveshaft and transmission. One thing I noticed was that one shift fork was able to shift from I believe it was 3rd gear, neutral and reverse. However the other shift fork controlling 1st and 2nd gear was frozen solid. I was going to tear into the trans anyway but hopefully that frozen fork isnt anything serious. I was told this was driven after the conversion so I guess something happened in storage since the 90's.

Next projects on the car is to hopefully get the glass out of the doors, what trim I could get off the doors and the rest of the car, finish removing the undercoating from the interior and start removing the rust prone areas of the car. I think I am going to get the quarter panel from that eBay listing and at least have something to start with for repairing that section of the car.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0937.JPG (513.66 KB)
203788_5f0c77b112938.jpg 2048X1536 px

jpg  IMG_0938.JPG (824.81 KB)
203788_5f0c77c907f7f.jpg 2048X1536 px

jpg  IMG_0936.JPG (476.25 KB)
203788_5f0c77db1baa1.jpg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 7/13 8:04:12

Home away from home
From Santa Fe
The front shift lever works the 3rd (High) and 2nd gears; the rear lever works the 1st (Low) and Reverse gears.

Posted on: 7/14 15:26:31
55 Cipper Super Sedan (5542) - Now in Maryland

We move toward and make happen what occupies our mind. (W. Scherer)

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
no title (2020/7/6)
no title
July 4th 2020 Parade Packard (2020/7/4)
July 4th 2020 Parade Packard
1947 packard (2020/7/2)
1947 packard
DSC05939.JPG (2020/6/27)
DSC05939.JPG
Anton Kneer (2020/6/13)
Anton Kneer
Random Photo
41 Touring engine compartment
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.