Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 197

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front Park Light Housing Parts Help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
On the front of the 41 front park light housing there is a rubber seal/grommet part number 4.1409 i believe. What is this for and does anyone reproduce these????

Thanks Pat

Posted on: 2018/11/4 11:39

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Park Light Housing Parts Help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the lens gaskets might provide two purposes. One is anti rattle so the glass doesn't vibrate or move in the retainers and second is to prevent any wind blown water getting back into the lamp housing.

If Steele doesn't have it I doubt anyone else will either. On most models which use lens gaskets and nothing is repro'd many have been able to make their own by buying 1/8" thick closed cell vinyl or rubber sheet foam material from places like McMaster or MSC. Am not sure what the originals were made of back then but were probably of a specific thickness. Using the sheet foam, if it is not quite the right thickness it has a bit more give and forgiveness unlike the solid rubber sheet. If you need thinner then some materials come in 1/16" but the choice is more limited and some may not be suitable for UV or outdoor exposure.

Posted on: 2018/11/4 11:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Maybe i didnt give you a correct part number but this rubber part is actually attached to the bottom side of the park light housing right underneath where the lense sits here are a couple pics the rubber just broke away from the metal.

Attach file:

jpg  (223.95 KB)
167108_5bdf296baeabb.jpg 1920X933 px

jpg  (380.78 KB)
167108_5bdf2984f0091.jpg 1920X933 px

Posted on: 2018/11/4 12:17

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The arrow that points to that piece is the group number you mentioned and calls it a lens gasket. Otherwise, no clue what it is or does. Maybe flackmaster has an idea. The flat piece with the two prongs looks like metal. If so, is there a bolt that goes thru the hole or do the prongs stick in the rubber or rest against something? Could it be used to keep the lens or housing centered somehow?

Steele shows nothing that looks like it in the electrical parking light category but Max lists that group number as a lens gasket and appears to carry the item as a pair. You might check with them and see if they still do and if their item is what you need.

Posted on: 2018/11/4 13:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The metal clip holds the base gasket ( steele has or had them) to the light housing where it is over the head light cover. need pictures let me know. I would forget about the oil filter as with new oils and miles driven it is one less item to clean and was option.

Posted on: 2018/11/4 13:34

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the prongs hold the base gasket then Steele does have the long rubber base gasket that runs the length of the light housing. The rubber that would appear to keep the metal stationary in the housing is probably the part you need and I didn't see that at Steele. If the part Max has will not work what about getting some rubber edge trim from McMaster or MSC and wrap it around the steel plate and press that into the housing.

Here is a McMaster selection of edge trim showing several different styles which come in varying dimensions. One might have dimensions and a shape that if wrapped around the plate would substitute for a formed one piece rubber gasket. If edge trim won't work you could get a strip of sheet rubber in the needed thickness and make a one piece gasket.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.26 KB)
209_5bdf40078c1e0.jpg 1744X586 px

Posted on: 2018/11/4 13:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yeah I saw that a Merritt, I'll call tomorrow and see if they carry it....... Sorry hh56 I was trying to use your part picture of the front park light but didn't realize that it's the group my bad. That metal piece was sandwiched in the rubber and then t it was slid over the post those two teeth held it on the post. If Merritt doesn't have them then I will use some edge molding as suggested that's a great idea....... On another not I took the rear tailight bezels and the front park light housing in to be chromed and about shat myself on the money they to plate!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2018/11/4 14:25

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
On another not I took the rear tailight bezels and the front park light housing in to be chromed and about shat myself on the money they to plate!!!!!!!

At least you are in Utah where I doubt the platers have all the regulations to contend with. There is probably still some competition for them which you can benefit from.

Between the Calif Air Resources Board which bans anything that stinks, the Calif version of EPA who goes after any kind of discharges that might remotely be considered hazardous waste and another Calif agency that seems to have their finger in lots of other places a substantial number of plating shops have decided the income does not pay for the hassle and have closed or moved.

The few that are still working and willing to take walk in customers with their assorted bits and pieces know they have a captive market and price accordingly. Your seven exclamation points on a Utah price would probably rate a dozen if you had them done here.

Posted on: 2018/11/4 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
There are few shops here for sure but only a couple are worth a crap...... His explanation on the cost was that there was so many man hours in the pieces and the fact that they are pot metal so they have to be copper dipped then smoothed multiple times to Fill all the pits..... I'll post pics in 4-6 weeks when.they are done. Hes even plating the screw for the lense retainer

Posted on: 2018/11/4 15:14

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
If you have major holes or pits, you can fill them in or fill with Muggy Weld. I've used it many times before sending the part out for chrome plating. You need to ensure the area is clean and to carefully not over heat it and to use indirect heat as the flux does not like flame.

Posted on: 2018/11/5 20:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved