Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'27 426 brake question
Just popping in
Just popping in

molassesbros
See User information
I am currently working on the brakes, which the way I see it work by rotating the cam lobe (the long side) against the primary shoe, which energizes the sec. shoe. The short side of the cam actuates the auxiliary shoe. This is how it is set up the front.

The rears, however are different. With the arrow on the cam pointing forward, the long side of the cam works on the aux. shoe, and the short side works the prim. and sec. shoe. The problem- The aux. shoe hits the drum way before the prim/sec.shoe therefore only giving one shoe that works. And it is not self-energizing, and working AGAINST the cam action, instead of WITH it, like the fronts.

The splined arms are on there correct sides and are pointing down like in the pic I found in the 326 owners manual on this site. So, did Packard do this on purpose to get the front/rear brake balance right? Less rear brake, more front?
Am I missing something? I have flipped the cams backward (arrow pointing to rear) and now the brake action seems correct, and works like the fronts.

I hope y'all could help me out. I don't want to send the car out with improperly working brakes. Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/6/13 13:25
 Top  Print   

Re: '27 426 brake question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The late Bob Aller made a suggestion about adjusting the mechanical brakes on Packards at last year's Salado Meet. He suggested that the front brake rods be disconnected, adjust the rear brakes and rods, and then adjust the front brakes and rods so that the rear brakes engage just ever so slightly before the fronts. He said would provide more effective braking action. I know this doesn't answer your question about brake shoe adjustment, but may help after you get it figured out.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 16:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
molassesbros wrote: I am currently working on the brakes, .........I don't want to send the car out with improperly working brakes. Thanks!

G'day molassesbros,
to PackardInfo but sorry I can't help with your request. I was going to ask if you could include the '27 in the Owner Registry here but it looks like you're working on a customers Packard. Maybe you could pass on details about PackardInfo to the owner so he can add in the '27 426 if he wishes?

Posted on: 2009/6/13 16:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Your rear brakes are installed backwards! The primary shoe must be engaged first, or else you get exactly the situation you described and you end up with a largely front wheel only braking car. On the rear this is an easy mistake to make (don't ask) because of the orientation of the brakes with the cam at the front instead of the top of the backing plate.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/6/14 9:36
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

molassesbros
See User information
Thanks for the quick resposes, and the welcome sign! I talked with a man named John Ulrich, who suggested I do the same procedure to adjust the brakes, by disconnecting the front and so on....makes sense to me. That way you are only trying to sort out one system at a time. Thanks for the confirmation.

My brakes are backwards! Scary, but according to the manual (the owner found them yesterday), the brake shoes, arms, and linkage are installed correctly; with the primary shoe @ the forward bottom third. The secondary @ the rearward bottom third, and the aux shoe facing up. What is not clear in the picture is which way the arrow points on the cam. Froward or backward? I'm going to make it so the primary shoe works fist, and go for a road test.

Thanks again

Posted on: 2009/6/14 12:48
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

molassesbros
See User information
I'll pass the registry question on to the owner, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I sent the info to this you. He also owns a '37 and an early 40's. He uses them for his limo service. I also remember seeing those anti-theft numbers on one of his cars. I'll send those if the person doing the data base thing is still interested.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Yeah, the position of the primary shoe is correct, so the cam is reversed.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/6/14 13:12
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

molassesbros
See User information
Thanks Tom. I feel better now that it will have 4 wheel brakes instead of 2!

Posted on: 2009/6/14 13:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
molassesbros wrote: I'll pass the registry question on to the owner, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I sent the info to this you. He also owns a '37 and an early 40's. He uses them for his limo service. I also remember seeing those anti-theft numbers on one of his cars. I'll send those if the person doing the data base thing is still interested.

for that. If you, or the owner, could add all three to the Registry that would be great. And good to hear these are "working" Packards, getting out and about regularly. I'm sure Dave(Owen_Dyneto) would be grateful for more info for his project.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 16:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved