Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Positive ground
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
The negative battery cable from my battery is bolted right to my engine block does this indicate negative ground? If it is positive ground
Where would the cable from the negative side of the battery attach to
It is a late 55 any possibility it was wired like a 56 because of how late in the production run it was made
Thanks

Posted on: 2019/7/12 10:28
 Top  Print 

Re: Positive ground
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Forget about it being a late car and thus wired backwards by the factory, that just didn't happen. As you describe it, your car is currently wired as negative ground, whether done accidently or deliberately as a conversion is not apparent.

Your car should be positive ground, the (+) cable of the battery connected to the engine block (generally one of the bolts holding the oil filter) and the (-) cable to the starter solenoid. There are a host of questions to be asked regardless of whether you keep it as negative ground, or return it to it's correct status. I'm sure others will take you through that process.

Posted on: 2019/7/12 10:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I didn't know Packard was still using a positive ground on the 1955-56 cars after they switched from 6 volt to 12 volt battery??
John

Posted on: 2019/7/12 11:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

ptv wrote:
I didn't know Packard was still using a positive ground on the 1955-56 cars after they switched from 6 volt to 12 volt battery??
John

Positive ground thru 55, then Packard joined about everyone else and changed to negative ground for 56.

If the change to negative ground was deliberate the ammeter was probably changed and possibly the coil as well.

If engine is off and you turn the headlights on, if ammeter reads Discharge then it was changed to match the polarity and probably was deliberate. If it reads Charge then maybe an accidental swap or else someone didn't bother with correcting the reading. On a proper swap the coil terminals would also be swapped so in the case of a negative ground the negative coil terminal should go to the distributor.

Posted on: 2019/7/12 12:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved