Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Any Thrust In Bearing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Good morning all,

You may be able to help me identify a noise, which I think is coming from the gearbox.

Under normal driving i.e., light throttle, level road under 40mph, this noise is not apparent.

Under load, i.e., uphill, accelerating hard or carrying passengers this noise is quite apparent.

The noise is a 'dry bearing' type of noise, obviously the trust bearing would come to mind at once, but why would it only happen under pressure? The original bearing is in place, the lubrication system appears to be working satisfactory and the gearbox is full of oil.

Many thanks,

Pat.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.48 KB)
1195_4a194f205aca3.jpg 600X400 px

Posted on: 2009/5/24 8:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Any Thrust In Bearing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
SO then, that means the noise only occurs in HIGH gear???? Does tyhe noise occur in low and 2nd gear under heavy load ?????

Posted on: 2009/5/24 9:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Thanks for the reply, a very good and vadid question!

Obviously 40mph cant be achived in 1st or 2nd (in mine anyway), I will try to load it in those gears to see what happens but the noise levels will be to high to hear to errant noise.

The other reason I suspect the trust bearing is because 50miles before the noise started, the engine and gearbox were re-untied after some engine work. A new pressure plate and clutch were fitted, although I had a new sealed bearing it was not fitted at the time.

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
nomenclature problem here:
By "thrust" or "trust" bearing do mean the clutch release bearing that pushes against the pressure plate???? Sometimes it is called a throw-out bearing as in to throw the clutch out of engagement.

The throw out bearing should make noise all of the time if it is bad. HOWEVER, the clutch pedal linkage should be adjusted so that the throw out bearing is NOT touching the pressure plate when the clutch pedal is fully released. This adjustement should be outlined in the manual.

Thus far, i do NOT suspect the throw out beraring as your problem. Check the throw out bearing adustement tho.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 16:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Don't have a specific answer, but I really hope that it's not the Fafnir bearing, they've been unavailable for decades though I have heard that Olcar Bearing was going to have some made. Brace yourself if it is, I believe the going price for all but that one (are there 9?) bearing in the transmission is close to $1000, and the Fafnir is almost that much itself in addition. My costs may be a bit out of date.

That said, that gearbox is about the most rugged transmission around, they often outlasted several engines. Have you removed the top cover to make sure the open troughs in the inside case that channel oil to the front and rear bearings are free and unobstructed? Don't have to remove the trans for that, just the floorboards and the top cover.

Check out PackardV8s thoughts, but recognize there is essentially no thrust on trans bearings because of the slip-yoke on the driveshaft - is that spline free and lubricated regularly?

Are you sure you're not mistaking old-fashioned spark-knock for a bearing noise? It would occur under the circumstances nyou nnoted.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 18:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Irish. Just out of curiosity. I see what appears to be a bamboo chicken cage on the back of the Packard with 2wo chickens and a couple of baby chicks in it. Is that an Irish wedding tradition too like the ribbons at the front????

I like the ribbons. Should start a new tradition here in the states. Not sure about a chicken cages tho.

But how do u keep the ribbons from blowing off at any speed above say 30 mph?????

Posted on: 2009/5/24 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Don't have a specific answer, but I really hope that it's not the Fafnir bearing, they've been unavailable for decades though I have heard that Olcar Bearing was going to have some made. Brace yourself if it is, I believe the going price for all but that one (are there 9?) bearing in the transmission is close to $1000, and the Fafnir is almost that much itself in addition. My costs may be a bit out of date.

Thanks for throwing me into the arms of a great depression!If I did not know better I would think 'Fafnir bearing' is something you made up to wind me up!

I will look at the throw out arm adjustment and oil ways for blockage. I presume these adjustments are contained in the workshop manual.

As for ribbons on wedding cars, it is the done thing here in Ireland. I have a hook on the wiper motor cover over the windscreen, the ribbon goes out through the door frame, around the Phalacrocorax carbo and back through the other door frame. If it is an elastic type and pulled taut, it will not flap or flutter in the wind.

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 6:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Could be a bad rear axle bearing,front wheel bearing, diff gears out of adjustment, universal joint, even loose wheel nuts. Noises are funny things, they don't always come from where they sound like.

Trying to diagnose a noise like that from across the Atlantic is like emailing a girl in Zanzibar that her nose is shiny.

Best idea would be to take the car to a local mechanic.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 11:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
IrishPackard wrote:......around the Phalacrocorax carbo .......

"Phalacrocorax carbo"?????

Ohhhh.......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Cormorant

Attach file:

jpg  (38.70 KB)
226_4a1af6070f091.jpg 453X599 px

Posted on: 2009/5/25 14:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Rusty,

Problem is all our local car repairers are midgets, here is one working on my bell housing.

Of course, the reality is that there is no one with any experience of this type of car here in Ireland, only chancers and bull sh..ers!

Attach file:

jpg  (10.32 KB)
1195_4a1c5a646cff4.jpg 200X278 px

Posted on: 2009/5/26 16:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved