Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
328 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 327

Ayden.jakob03, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Coil Spring Spacers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
After mounting the new DiamondBack 700x16Auburn Deluxe radials on my ‘40 160, they touched the front fender. My buddy Chuck had the same problem on his ‘37. We resolved it by turning the wheel all the way out, placing a 2-foot 2x4 between the fender and the tire, and turn the steering wheel to push the fender out. It worked. I drove it around on errand yesterday, but it’s still like a half-inch clearance.

This morning I may loosen all the fender bolts on one side, turn the wheel until the 2x4 is squarely between the tire and fender, then tighten the bolts. This might reposition the fender rather than just bending its shape, and do a better job.

But we’re thinking that the tire rubs because our coil springs are old. I was wondering if anyone has used spacers to lift the springs a bit. They only cost about $20. I suppose the devil is in the details, like how do you get the springs to open wide enough to add the spacers. What is the result in terms of ride?

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_7995.jpeg (94.86 KB)
1067_66f5653e3b580.jpeg 640X480 px

jpeg  IMG_7994.jpeg (55.84 KB)
1067_66f565513a5e1.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: Yesterday 8:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Coil Spring Spacers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
There are two coil spring spacers in each front coil of my caribbean. There were there when I got the car, and I left them in. I don't really love them, since theoretically it is not such a good fix, but the ride is ok with them in there. I had the front end apart two years ago, and installed them with the springs out of the car, but I think they should be able to get stuffed in/out when the suspension is at full droop. -I think a coil spring guru would say that there is some risk in binding or breaking a spring when using these spacers, but I have been driving on them for some time and they are OK.

Posted on: Yesterday 9:52
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1953 Caribbean, 1969 912, 1990 Miata
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, Tobs.
I loosened all the bolts attaching the fender from headlight to running board.
I stuck the 2x4 in wile the tire was turned out, the turned the wheel straight. Lots creaks and pops. Then with the 2x4 jammed between the tire and fender, I tightened everything up. The good news is I got an excellent result. The bad news is I have to do the right side now.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_7999.jpeg (95.81 KB)
1067_66f59b55baa04.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: Yesterday 12:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Tobs wrote:
There are two coil spring spacers in each front coil of my caribbean. There were there when I got the car, and I left them in. I don't really love them, since theoretically it is not such a good fix, but the ride is ok with them in there. I had the front end apart two years ago, and installed them with the springs out of the car, but I think they should be able to get stuffed in/out when the suspension is at full droop. -I think a coil spring guru would say that there is some risk in binding or breaking a spring when using these spacers, but I have been driving on them for some time and they are OK.

There is a service counselor article mentioning the spacers and if yours look like those in the article on page 32 they could well be factory. The article says they were for certain 51-52 cars but that would not stop a dealer from installing on other years or models if needed and they fit. In particular, if the heavier front end of a Caribbean had the strike thru they might have been needed. They did do some things differently and not always well documented on Caribbeans so the spacers could have been stock.

Posted on: Yesterday 12:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved