Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

Ozstatman, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

ignition coil 1939 Super 8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rick M
See User information
I have noticed that the ignition coil on my 1929 Super 8 has a armored cable that goes from the dash board to the bottom of the coil. Is there any guide when one has to replace the coil? Are new coils of that type availale for purchase anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Rick M
'39 Super 8

Posted on: 2016/3/16 12:15
 Top  Print   

Re: ignition coil 1939 Super 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From your title and first line query not sure if you are asking about a 29 or 39 coil but will go with 39 from your other post. Max Merritt lists having certain coils available for each year and to inquire if yours is not specifically listed. Kanter might too but just like the 41-7 Clipper coils with armored cable connections, they are expensive. Unknown if rebuilt or NOS but when it comes to NOS I would be cautious about putting a 75 year old electrical component into service. Rebuilts also do not have the greatest fan base so guess it is a tossup.

Don't believe there is a hard and fast guide but on Clippers the usual symptom of a failing coil is it starts acting up when hot to the point of complete failure and then when it cools down all is well again until the next time. Eventually it seems to totally fail or leave a person stranded once too often and gets changed. A faulty capacitor can also exhibit the same symptom so that too is a change item.

Posted on: 2016/3/16 12:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Coil tests are notoriously unreliable indicators of a coils condition. Best bet is to just go by your driving experience, typically they will begin to show failure when they perform OK when cold and you begin to get intermittent ignition breakup when they get hot.

Though the twin coils for the 33/34 Eights and Super Eights and all the Twelves are reproduced in excellent quality I'm not aware of any exact reproduction of your coil, and NOS coils would be questionable after all these years. Just to be safe when touring, carry a universal 6-volt coil in your tool box which you can always rig up in an emergency - you can just hot feed it via a jumper from the battery or starter post and avoid having to remove the old one and the armored cable to get the power feed. I've done this on the road a few times over the years for folks who have had a coil failure, it makes matters simplier to have some duct tape and just tape the emergency coil to the side of the existing coil.

Posted on: 2016/3/16 12:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The best means of testing a coil is with an oscilloscope. If the coil is internally shorted it will show up in the section after the spark line. The waveform will not oscillate properly or will show negative voltage. A good old fashioned adjustable spark tester from NAPA should show 20-25kv ignition voltage. If it shows any intermittency then there is an ignition problem.

You can also test the coil on the road by hooking a scope up to the primary and looking at that waveform. If it breaks up under load there is an ignition problem.

The armored cable and ignition switches on those cars are notorious trouble makers because they short circuit. So if you suspect a problem bypass the whole system with test parts and check vehicle performance.

Posted on: 2016/3/16 15:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good reminder by Tim, if you don't know that the hot lead inside the armored cable has been changed, do it now. Chances are the insulation is crumbling off and possibly even shorting out. You wouldn't be the first to diagnose a faulty coil when in fact it was the failure of the insulation on the wire inside the armored cable.

Posted on: 2016/3/16 16:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rick M
See User information
Opps! Errant fingers here. A 1939 coil is what I am asking about. I will follow the advice and have a generic 6 volt coil handy in the event the coil in my car is not working. I will need to do a bit of research to see the proper way to wire it in since it has been 40+ years since I had a car with an old coil and points iginition.

Thank you all for the information.

Rick M

Posted on: 2016/3/16 21:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
For what it is worth, I've taken the guts out of an old, original Autolite coil body and slid a new, generic coil into it. Since the original Autolite has the rear mounted HOT ignition line coming into it, I ran a wire from the front terminal around the hidden side of the coil, back into the body of the Autolite can, then to the rear ignition cable.
If someone looks closely, they could tell, but I am happy with my result. Especially, since it would be easy to replace with another modern coil if ever needed. Currently, I have an original on the car that has been working for almost 20years, but created the dummy as a spare.

Regarding the jacketed ignition cable, also called 'armored', 'conduit', Tim is correct that the combination of the old lacquered cloth insulation and the difficulty to access the wire inside the jacket results in a likelihood to fail. I've repaired several of these by carefully opening up the interface between the switch body and the jacket. This allows for inspection and cleaning of the switch contacts and replacement of the ignition wire from contacts down to the coil.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posted on: 2016/3/17 8:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pat, what you've done is, I suspect, along the same lines as the commercial suppliers of "new" dual coil assemblies for the 33/34 Northeast units on Eight and Super Eights, and the 32-39 Twelves. In these coils (original pictured) the high tension lead does not go into a conventional "tower" but rather mounts under a stud and nut in a horizontal alignment and then covered with a decorative cap with acorn nuts. The hot lead from the ignition is at the bottom and either of the two studs at the top is suitable for connecting to the points. The lead for the shielded wire from the ignition switch is a threaded stud at the base of the coil, accessed when the lower cover plate is removed from the aluminum housing into which the coils are inserted.

When I remove the decorative cover from the reproduction coils the high tension lead is connected to a conventional "tower" down inside the canister. Those reproduction Northeast coils, while not inexpensive, are beautifully executed to match the OEMs in external appearance.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.13 KB)
177_56eae6b8cab6b.jpg 875X1280 px

jpg  (52.69 KB)
177_56eaea08af5e8.jpg 800X542 px

Posted on: 2016/3/17 12:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rick M
See User information
Pat,
Thank you!

Rick

Posted on: 2016/3/18 21:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved