Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 Positive Cable to Ground.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Hi all, looking for a good picture showing the Positive Cable connected to the correct grounding point on the engine. I think it is supposed to be connect at the generator at the pivot bolt, but not sure.
Thanks!
Wes

Posted on: 2015/7/17 0:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 Positive Cable to Ground.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm thinking it went on one of the bolts that holds the generator bracket to the block rather than a pivot bolt. I didn't find any really good photos when I did mine but there is one from a 19-21st series ign training manual showing it farther back than the front of the engine and another from a factory photo of a 22nd series on the line where it appears to be under the generator.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.29 KB)
209_55a902773a2b0.jpg 726X544 px

jpg  (53.18 KB)
209_55a9027fac549.jpg 494X350 px

Posted on: 2015/7/17 8:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'm pretty sure it's the rearmost bolt holding the generator bracket to the engine. Anyway, that's where the ground is attached on my 22nd and 23rd series.

Posted on: 2015/7/17 8:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wes, nice to hear from you. I think the factory location for the ground cable is not all that important, unless you are preparing the car for show and judging. A good 'OO' gauge cable fastened to the engine block will work. The shorter, the better. Also, additional ground straps from the engine to the frame and the body to the frame are recommended. I did this on my formerly owned '47 Custom and enjoyed good starter performance and lighting.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/7/17 9:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks to all, I was just wanting to move it from where it was and I figured this would be a good time to try and place it where it belongs. It was on top of the air pipe ( forward bolt) that directs air into the filler cap. And while changing the oil filter I figured this would be a good time to find its correct home.
Thanks again!
Wes

Posted on: 2015/7/17 22:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved