Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I wonder if I might be one of the youngest current Packard owners,
Just popping in
Just popping in

Orange-Lark
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

I have purchased this car last year as the fallout with big three was inevitable. So this car serves as the replacement of my '95 Cadillac Fleetwood. (I have the Fleetwood since early college years and it becomes more symbolic in recent years as the car becomes older and more as an antique than a summer daily car)
Among the more feasible replacements, options were Daimler DS420, senior Packard, Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire or Studebaker President (some of the lesser feasible considerations include Jaguar XJs, GAZ-13 Chaika, GAZ-12 ZIM, ZIL-115, ZIL-41047, Nissan President PGF50, Mitsubishi Debonair, Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow, AMC Ambassador, etc)

Daimler DS420 was ruled out as upon a closer assessment, as driving it seems to be highly unpleasant. Studebaker President was ruled out due to their current market price (50k USD) and platform sharing with far cheaper models. The remaining two seems to be rather straight-forward for choices. (Even though I quite like Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire a lot since a 5yo, upon seeing it in a car show)

The car is in an excellent mechanical condition, albeit not driven much for 20-25 years. It seems to me, after the restoration in the '90s, the car spent most of the time symbolically, until the owners seemed to pass away during the COVID. The auto broker loved the car so he kept it for a while until someone else wanted to buy it (and turned out the person is me), next to a few Mercedes SLs, Messerschmitts and few more Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs (identical model like my Fleetwood, with different exterior colour and a vinyl roof. Condition isn't as good due to the softer leather and cosmetics)

I currently drive it locally when the weather is good (at least when I head out) and other driving purposes have other cars taken place.

I do notice most current Packard owners seem to be far older than me.

In the first picture, I managed to buy the factory blank keys and got them cut for use. The keys came with the car were older, generic. And I have to buy a few hubcaps as some of them were a bit too dented.
The underneath is one of the best I've seen in my life, strangely. I wonder how.

Taken during the last days I drove it last year.

About where I grew up, it is a bit obvious in this photo.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:55
 Top  Print   
LikeLove (2)

Re: I wonder if I might be one of the youngest current Packard owners,
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
You may well be the youngest owner/driver. The car looks great!

Posted on: Yesterday 21:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DM37
See User information
Don't worry about the other Packard owners being a bit "grey" around the edges...please engage your own car-savvy friends, give them rides, show them all the quality ways that the Packards were built...then get a few of the really interested ones to join you (Please sign up and join the Packard "tribe" to come to the National meet in Kansas City in Early June 2025...specific dates will be set in the next 6 months at:https://www.packardclub.org/ ; it goes Sunday through Friday of the week). We had car nuts of all ages (22 yrs, 30, 40's, plus us old geezers) at this years meet...

We had lots of fun talking, fixing (field issues can occur and you have the best group of knowledgeable mechanics at the meet) and had after-parties out at the hotel fire pit this year. We want to pass our knowledge, parts and cars onto the next generation so you will find uncommon generosity and that comradery abounds...you will be immediately welcomed and included (don't sweat that). The swap meet is small but focused on Packard, so its a great way to meet the Packardonians.

You probably are the youngest Packard owner I have met in a long time. Personally, I was 13 (back in the mid 70's) when I bought my first car (41 Packard) so I know what its like to feel younger than the crowd around you at Packard events (everyone back then also seemed like they were in their senior years) but you will build lifelong friendships (your years being longer than our remaining years) and there are many fellow engineers and technical people in the group.

Also, your back-home friends will definitely know you have the coolest car.

Posted on: Today 8:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
AFAIK the youngest out there currently is 14 with a 1955 Patrician. There was a segment in a recent Cormorant issue about him. But the median age of Packard owners surely is somewhere in the early 60's.

For what it's worth, the "young guys" I know personally are mostly in their 30's.

Posted on: Today 9:03
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Orange-Lark, welcome to PackardInfo.com.

We do not know how old you are. -> How old are you?

Posted on: Today 11:18
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Among the more feasible replacements, options were Daimler DS420, senior Packard, Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire or Studebaker President (some of the lesser feasible considerations include Jaguar XJs, GAZ-13 Chaika, GAZ-12 ZIM, ZIL-115, ZIL-41047, Nissan President PGF50, Mitsubishi Debonair, Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow, AMC Ambassador, etc)...

By the way, I know of at least one ZIL-41047 in the USA. It was -> for sale some time ago.

Posted on: Today 11:25
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
Quote:
...Among the more feasible replacements, options were Daimler DS420, senior Packard, Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire or Studebaker President (some of the lesser feasible considerations include Jaguar XJs, GAZ-13 Chaika, GAZ-12 ZIM, ZIL-115, ZIL-41047, Nissan President PGF50, Mitsubishi Debonair, Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow, AMC Ambassador, etc)...

By the way, I know of at least one ZIL-41047 in the USA. It was -> for sale some time ago.

The website with history of that ZIL in the ad is now defunct so no answers there but as rare and hard to buy -- even for Russians -- as the high end prestigious ZIL cars were I am kind of curious how that car got here and stayed. I recall a TV show a few years ago where they featured the defunct ZIL factory and showed and interviewed people that helped hand build the cars. After the Soviet collapse they had tried to get the factory going again but had so few parts left or materials to make more that it didn't look to happen. It was enlightening to see the handwork and finish the guys were doing on the one or two cars they were able to build. There was a piece destined for trim and they showed how it started not as a stamping but as a rough welded up piece and progressed to a guy sitting and filing on it for days to the matching piece on the other side and what it would look like when finished. Amazing work.

Was the for sale ZIL property of an oligarch that stayed when the Soviet Union collapsed or was the car imported like some other non US spec cars that were brought in by entrepreneurs in a time when they could bolt on a few US legal items so they supposedly became able to be registered. Sad thing in that scenario is those "grey" cars were often disowned by mfgs and legitimate US dealers. With the flags you would almost think it was a diplomatic car that somehow didn't get back home but that also seems unlikely.

Posted on: Today 12:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved