Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 194

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 288 engine fuel pump stopped working.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
The pump was working just fine and suddenly just stopped pumping. The carb was dry. The filter bowl level dropped to almost 1/4 full.
Looks like it is a bit of a challenge to replace. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove it ?

Posted on: 6/8 10:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 288 engine fuel pump stopped working.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Make sure there are no surprise aftermarket filters in the line from the tank a previous owner added somewhere. Those can clog easily and stop flow. Also make sure there are no pinholes in a line. If the tank is just below a half or just above a quarter there are a couple of places inside the tank where if a pinhole in the pickup line develops, air will be sucked instead of fuel. Am presuming the tank filler cap is the same one you have always had but if it is different, make sure it is vented.

If all that is good then the pump shouldn't be a big deal to replace. Disconnect the lines and remove 2 bolts. The vacuum lines may be hard fittings instead of slip on rubber hose on a 48 so take note of where they connect to the top portion. The bottom portion has the rubber hose gas line in and the hard line out to filter or carb. The two bolts are sort of in the middle and may be wired together to keep them from loosening. Cut the wire to remove them. The bolts should be surrounded by fiber bushings plus fiber washers between bolts and any pump metal and a thick fiber gasket between pump and block. Those are used for heat insulators so take note where they are and don't lose anything. Once everything is free the pump will lift off.

Plate 86 in the 48-54 parts manual shows the pump and hard vacuum and fuel tubing on the original style pump. If a pump has been replaced and one from a later year was installed the tubing connections at the pump may be a bit different but routing is essentially the same.

Posted on: 6/8 11:32
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Also check the flexible fuel line to be sure it hasn’t collapsed internally. It happens and when it does it will block the flow.

Posted on: 6/8 11:37
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Todd W. White
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
Also check the flexible fuel line to be sure it hasn’t collapsed internally. It happens and when it does it will block the flow.

This happened to mine - cracked in half when I tried to remove it. I took the pieces to a local high-quality hose place and the made me a new one in a jiffy.

Posted on: 6/8 16:12
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
1949 2262 DeLuxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I have a rebuilt fuel pump. Mine is different from the pump shown on plate 86 in the parts manual. It does not have the cylindrical vertical cylinder going into the bottom of the pump where the fuel line connects to the pump. My pump has just the upper vacuum line connections and the the gas inlet and outlet connections. Will my pump work with out this. Maybe I could add a “T” fitting and put it in?

Posted on: 6/12 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
That little tower is some sort of device to smooth out the pump impulses. None of my cars have had it and they have not suffered!

Posted on: 6/12 9:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The little "tower" is an air chamber and was there to smooth out the pump pulses in fuel going to the carb. Principle was the same as an air chamber in house plumbing that is there to reduce knocks or bangs when a valve suddenly closes. It was thought a smoother fuel flow would be less likely to leak past the needle valve but was found not to be really needed and was dropped during 51 or 52 production. Only thing to be careful of without the chamber is that the unused port where the chamber used to thread into has a well sealing plug. Sometimes rebuilt pumps come back without anything in that port.

Posted on: 6/12 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved