Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
310 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 310

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Got my head gasket !
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Whoo Hooo ! Now the fun starts wrestling with this beast of a head. I posted on this awhile back but could someone point me in the right direction of the service index so I can get the torque specs and sequence ? I must be a box of rocks because I've looked in the archives and I'll be darned if I can find it. I'm looking at tackling it after work this afternoon and want to get my ducks in a row. One other question and I know this topic has been beat to death but.......gasket sealer ? Copper coat, silver spray paint, none at all ?? What's ya'lls opinion on the use of a gasket sealer ? All inputs, replies and ribbing are much appreciated........LOL

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/5/30 6:06
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Re: Got my head gasket !
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Have a look in the 51-54 Service Manual in the Literature and Manuals section of the Site. More specifically Page 22 of Section 1X - Engine which says "60 to 62 foot pounds" and has a sequence pattern.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 6:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Thank you so much ! Hope all is well down under. Have a great day.

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/5/30 7:52
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Recommended that you torque in 3 steps, and torque again after about an hour of running, and again after a few weeks of driving. Assuming good mating surfaces, satisfactory results have been obtained both with and without gasket cement. To get an accurate torque measurements, threads should be clean and dry - use thread chasers to prepare the studs and nuts. More often that not I use the Permatex Copperized aerosol; hang the gasket from a wire and spray both sides if you go that route.

You might want to browse this reference:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=863

Posted on: 2012/5/30 8:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
I appreciate the info and tips. It always helps. I've always used Coppercoat gasket sealer in an aerosol. The last time I changed a head gasket was on my 50 Plymouth with an L6 and I used silver spray paint that was recommended to me by an old timer. Worked awesome and never had a problem.

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/5/30 9:59
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved