Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

Ozstatman, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Swaping engines in my Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
My freshly rebuilt engine(352)came without a flywheel, can my manual flywheel be swapped on or is this engine externally balanced, necessitating additional work ?
Also, the oil pump appears to be rebuilt. Should I just run it or trade up to an Olds pump conversion. You can see in the attached photo that the top appears to have an extended bushing so maybe it has had the "treatment". The block has a late 1955 casting date(June) if that maters.
Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Attach file:

jpg  (209.19 KB)
15023_540b33a4ccc38.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/9/6 11:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Swaping engines in my Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
64avanti Quote:
Also, the oil pump appears to be rebuilt. Should I just run it or trade up to an Olds pump conversion.

IMO, absolutely no question about it. Get the Olds oil pump conversion. It's 100% certain to provide proper oil delivery whereas various "fixes" on the original Packard pump are questionable. Why take a chance? There's probably over 100 Olds pump conversions out there. Those guys can drive their cars.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/9/6 11:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U ought to be able to swap flywheels with no problem. I've done it across a variety of engines. This "engine REbalancing" we often hear of is just alot of bullshit. UNLESS some massive internal changes were made to the engine such as using custom made stroker crankshafts or other wild custom engine parts then balancing can become an issue.

Posted on: 2014/9/6 14:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Note that since u're using a clutch then need to determine what u'll need for the end of the crank to accomodate the trans input shaft pilot bearing.

Posted on: 2014/9/6 14:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Is that a cast line, or a crack in the picture?

I can't tell from the picture if the pump was bushed or not. Is there any movement side to side on the shaft?

Posted on: 2014/9/6 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good eyes, I think it is a crack.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/6 17:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Well, the freshly rebuilt pump is NOT cracked, it is a casting line you see. Whew.
& V8, thanks for the info, the engine must be internally balanced unlike Pontiac V8s that are externally balanced & flywheels cannot be swapped so easily. PM sent.
This engine will likely get an Olds pump & the heads are getting dropped off for hardened seats & new valve springs.
Then it's rattle can time

Posted on: 2014/9/6 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The Packard V8 uses a ball bearing in the end of the crankshaft for a manual transmission pilot.

This bearing is becoming rare and expensive. The last I bought were $25 each and going up each time. One guy with some NOS was asking $50.

While I do install hardened exhaust valve seats in all the Packard V8s I rebuild, they are only necessary if one is contemplating a lot of highway miles.

Most hobby Packards don't get enough continuous highway driving miles to require hardened exhaust seats.

Do check your valve spring retainers with a file. A '55 probably has the early soft retainers and a file will cut an edge easily. The later hardened retainers will cause a file to skate and not cut easily. The hard retainers are a must for any rebuild.

Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/9/7 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Agree with Jack completely about the valve seats. Currently all my cars are more than 50 years old and are driven at all times and speeds. Valve recession is not a problem.

As an example, my 63 Lark convertible, six and automatic. If there was ever an engine that had to work hard for a living, its this poor little thing hauling that heavy convertible around. 93K miles with no end in sight. Has been from MD to CO and back and keeps up with traffic in the Baltimore area. Head does not seem to have ever been off, and certainly not in the last 40K I have driven it.

Posted on: 2014/9/7 10:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Ross Quote:
As an example, my 63 Lark convertible, six and automatic. If there was ever an engine that had to work hard for a living, its this poor little thing hauling that heavy convertible around. 93K miles with no end in sight. Has been from MD to CO and back and keeps up with traffic in the Baltimore area. Head does not seem to have ever been off, and certainly not in the last 40K I have driven it.

Not trying to be too argumentative, but if you haven't removed the head for inspection, how do you know you don't have exhaust valve seat recession?

On my 55 Pat, prior to hardened valve seat fix, the engine was still running smoothly and a compression test was OK (not really up to spec, but acceptable). But, it turned out the exhaust valve seats were pounded down over 0.100IN and the exhaust valve face edges were razor thin. The only clue was that the exhaust note sounded "flat", not healthy. I don't know how long it would have gone before one of those exhaust valve edges broke off dropping nasty metal parts down into the cylinder.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/9/7 15:28
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved