Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater core replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
What's your thoughts on this for a replacement heater core? Obviously would need some "flashing" around it to direct the air, but it looks fine to me.

The original core dimensions are about 6½" x 9½". This one says it's 5" x 8⅛" overall. I figure I could route the hoses into the housing with some grommets or something.

Derale 13309 Power Steering Cooler Kit , Blackhttps://a.co/d/0ZYblTF

EVIL ENERGY 6AN 90 Degree Push Lock Hose Fitting End Black 2PCShttps://a.co/d/538tojJ

Here is a reference thread with photos.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=969

Posted on: 6/4 18:30
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater core replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
An interesting idea but I would chase down some actual dimensions. Amazon specs are probably the shipping box but if anywhere close to actual core or assy size I doubt it will fit in the heater box. The large space at sides where the tubes reverse direction would also need to be covered to prevent air bypassing the core.

Maybe not a concern but a heater core flow is thru small passages so water is moving fairly slow and can transfer max heat but the tubing on the cooler looks fairly large and is short. I would wonder if the flow would be so fast thru the tubing it would almost be like a bypass or shunt effect similar to just connecting ports together with a length of hose. Like the hose shunt issue, that could lead to a substantial portion of coolant never seeing the radiator and perpetually heating which maybe in a PA winter would be a good thing but still.

Posted on: 6/4 18:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Good point, the dimensions are from Summit Racing and are given as overall, so it should physically fit in. Of course it would be undersized some and like you said the flow would be pretty fast.

As for attachment, perhaps I could use some wire to connect it to the existing baffle, then seal around it with high heat tape. Or maybe it would need a sheetmetal adapter of some sort. Hopefully not, as that might be more effort than the $$ to redo it properly.

Side note, the outlets of this are 6AN which is 3/8", so it will need inline adapters to go to the 5/8" Packard heater hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Beduan-Reducer-Reducing-Fitting-Splicer/dp/B08V4Y89VD/

Posted on: 6/4 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
There is a better choice.

A regular heater core. That will fit. Have to find it.

Summit. Part Number: RDR-9010195

Un solder tube's off original and put on this.

Unit is smaller than original. Just add spacers.

Attach file:

jpg  1000006120.jpg (304.80 KB)
4498_665fff2653a40.jpg 1228X1564 px

Posted on: 6/5 0:55
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Nice, thanks. I think I'll try that.

Posted on: 6/5 5:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I think I had mine rebuilt through Merritt

Posted on: 6/8 17:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved